Patrik Laine - Rookie Experience

Laine

image.png.a5878295e38a654a0c7e907acbc111d2.png

Helsinki, Finland - The S74 VHL Season is upon us. Teams are preparing for the first games to begin today. There are a lot of teams that have a lot to be excited about heading into this season, but no team comes close to the excitement that Helsinki Titans fans are feeling right now. Stepping into the lineup this season is RW Patrik Laine. He was chosen 9th overall in the S73 VHL Draft by the Helsinki Titans. Despite Laine's talents, many downplayed the pick and said Helsinki reached too far. Well, it has paid off in spades so far for the Titans. Laine spent last season down in the VHLM, leading the Miami Marauders to a conference championship and fell just 3 games shy of a Founder's Cup victory. Laine tells us that he hopes to become one of the best two-way players in the league.

"I know this is just the beginning of my VHL career, but to play for a franchise like Helsinki that I grew up watching, it feels surreal almost. I want to become one of the league's best players, not just as a goal scorer, but as a 200-foot player as well. I have a lot of good teammates surrounding me like Summers, Vaak and Spaz that will help me adjust to the game this season and I can't wait to get underway."

Laine talked about his expectations heading into his rookie season as well as Helsinki's expectations heading into this season.

"As far as team expectations go, anything less than a return to the Continental Cup Finals is considered a failure. The boys worked hard to get there last year and I think I'm part of the puzzle that can get them over the hump. As for my expectations as a player, we'll see. I hope I can hit at least 20-30 goals this year and put up solid point totals. Also playing well in my own end and on the power play can help me earn more responsibilities on the ice so it will be fun to see how things go for both me and the team this year."

Laine has 2 years left on his entry-level contract he signed. We asked him if he his pondering his future and if he thinks about fleeing Helsinki in free agency.

"Are you out of your fucking mind? Why would you even ask that? I have 2 years left on this deal and I still have to play good for the team and for myself so that is my main focus right now. As for talk about Helsinki, I really love the city and the people. It is just 2 hours away from my hometown of Tampere, Finland. My family and friends can come watch me play every night and it will be a blast, so I hope I stay for a while."

Laine and the Titans begin their quest for the Continental Cup on Thursday Night with a string of back to back games on primetime television.

(503 words, 2598 characters)