Graduation Day

Smarch

:la:Graduation Day:la:

LA_Bar_vTlkKwA.png

The big day if finally here for Lester Green and many other Victory Hockey League rookies. That’s correct the first day of the VHL season is expected to begin today, meaning many VHLMers are experiencing their hockey graduation day. Green was expecting much in terms of his VHL future heading into the VHL draft, but when the Los Angeles Stars took a flyer on the defensive defenseman Thirteenth Overall in the Season Seventy-Four VHL Entry Draft. Now Green is feeling the excitement and nervousness of his first VHL game around the corner. When Green was approached by reporters after the Stars afternoon skate, the soft spoken American defenseman became an open book.

“I’m excited to first off be drafted to a club looking to really start establishing itself in the VHL. I didn’t make it in time to the VHL draft due to prior commitments, but once I was able to look at my phone about ten minutes, I noticed my agent had already sent my  first VHL contact offer. Now the real work starts, and the expectations and accountability of my game start at home with myself. I know I wasn’t brought in to score fifty plus points each season, so my expectations need to match that. I need to play solid in my end of the ice, making sure Doug has a clear view of incoming shots. I am also going to need to be more aware of the penalties I am taking this year. While I want to be known as a physical guy on the ice, I need to walk the fine like and cut down some of the unnecessary penalties I took last season with San Diego.”

When Green was pressed about any reservations he has outside of walking the fine line on the physical side of things on the ice, Green followed up by saying; “I don’t want to say I am afraid of making mistakes, as sometimes that’s is the greatest learning tool, but on the bigger stage each error you make is going to be magnified. I can honestly say I have some reservations about making mistakes that alter the outcome of the games.”

With the Stars being an expansion franchise that only has one year of VHL games under its belt, Green and the rest of the Stars rookies will be leaned upon even greater in their rookie seasons, as the club doesn’t have the veteran presence many of the more established clubs do at this point. Hopefully Greens rookie experience this season will meet all his expectations and keep his reservations at bay.

Alexander: Summer school for Kings, Ducks prospects – Press Enterprise

Green during his rookie training camp

435 Words