A New Start

Ledge

Last night, the 17 of September, was a momentous night for both the VHL and the VHLM. One of those VHLM teams, the Las Vegas Aces, weren’t so successful in their S74 debut, losing two consecutive games to start the season. Linus Zetterstrom, one of those players on the Aces who delivered less than average performances, was visibly surprised at the speed and physicality of the North American game. With little to no training camp experience, this was Zetterstrom’s first smaller ice competition, and you could tell he was struggling. With his hometown Malmö Redhawks, he put up nearly a point per game in the Swedish u20 circuit, and fit in well at the SHL level. He was clearly the best player on the ice in u20, and in terms of skating and hockey sense, one of the top in the SHL. Zetterstrom has a bright future in the VHLM and the VHL, and it’s performances like the one last night that we can dismiss as unusual. 

After the game, an interview with a reporter went like this:

Reporter: That was the second game in a row that you’ve lost tonight, Linus. Care to explain?

Linus Zetterstrom: Ah, the team was not at its best. I was not at my best. We can do better, and we will

Reporter: What made a difference on the ice tonight? Who made the biggest impact?

LZ: Obviously guys like Gary Rush and Kasper Kankkunen brought their A game and it showed. There were also some guys like me who were slow and not ready. I’m used to being the best skater on the ice in Europe, but now I am barely above average. I found my self taking lots of unneeded tripping and hooking penalties because I wasn’t reacting fast enough. It is something that I I’ll work on, and I’ll get better

Reporter: Would you say that this team could win a championship? Or can we expect more of the same this season?

LZ: For sure we are skilled enough for the championship. We are one of the most skilled teams in the league, Nicky(Sunderbruch), Gary(Rush), and Kasper(Kankkunen) are among the best players in the league. We do have the skill to succeed, but all teams need a consistent effort, and we didn't have that tonight. We deserved the losses, and we will get better. We are too skilled to keep losing. 

Reporter: Moving on to more personal questions. When do you see yourself making an impact in the VHL?

LZ: That’s not really up to me, I’ll let the Aces and the VHL team that drafts me decide that. I would love to be there as soon as possible, but I also want to win a championship with the Aces. It’s a win-lose situation, and I don’t think it’s up to me

Reporter: You don’t have to answer this, but I’m going to ask it anyway. If you had a choice, which VHL team would you join?

LZ: I really don’t know, again, that’s not up to me. We’ll see how the draft goes, and i’ll be happy with whoever drafts me.  

Reporter: Thanks for your time, Linus 

LZ: Thank you

Although he got off to a slow start, Zetterstrom managed to regain some of his ability and got an assist in the Aces’ second game. And where’s there was bad news, there was also good news. Zetterstrom’s game was on an increase the whole time, and there were more positives than negatives in the final minutes of the second game. The Aces as a whole got better as the night wore on, and there’s is hope among the fans, the management, and the players. The Aces are still very much a playoff team, and players like Zetterstrom must step up to lead them. 

Tonight, the Aces have a home and home against the San Diego Marlins, who have a tied-for-league-best 2-0 record. The Aces’ 0-2 record pales in comparison, but there is a whole season ahead of them. There is plenty of time to right the ship, and it starts tonight. 

Review: Gotta agree he's a wholesome guy, very humble I feel, anyway I'd say this is a rather straight forward media spot. Spacing is there which is always nice but I think making use of bold on LZ and the reporter could have given it that little touch up, or making use italics is a choice to. Putting up a picture is another way just to add a little more to it. Otherwise still good in many other areas, spelling and talking about LZ's previous experience in Europe add to the player. Overall I'd say 7/10.