MJF : Rookie Experience

FrostBeard

Marshall James Frostbeard
Latvia
Going into S74 with Malmo Nighthawks
"Rookie Experience"

Interview is done by ECN lead reporter Druvvaldis Miglasķēms together with Marshall James Frostbeard in his countryside manor in Latvia. After an interesting first season of his career, Marshall was excited to talk about his experience and his first impressions of VHL. This interview was conducted 3 days after the S74 VHL Entry draft.

Marshall, how do you feel about your first season in VHL?
It went a lot better than I was expecting it to go. Team just performed well above what our GM and coach wanted and in the end, we all became better buddies on and off the ice. It is actually quite remarkable that the game you get used to in VHLM changes so much when you go up to the big league. The game is a lot more fast paced, you see that even your tiniest mistake is going to be used against you instantly and you just have to go and adapt to it. 
Do you feel you accomplished everything you wanted statistically? 

I am not going to lie and say that I didn't. I knew that playing a lot of time on the 2nd line, I will be playing a bit bigger defensive role than I did in VHLM. Also, I didn't really expect to get 57 points. I wanted to be around 20-20 guy, a dependable scorer on the 2nd line but what came around was a chance to show off my skill and actually contribute to our chances getting into playoffs. So I am happy. Really happy. 
How did it feel to get into a new environment, a new team? Did everyone accept you?

In all honesty, I don't think there can be a situation where you are not accepted. It is about you and your ego, about your expectations. If you set yourself up as a team player, you will be not only accepted but people will respect you, if you will be a drama starter and a person who just wants to whine about everything, I think that most people will not like you and you will not have a good time. All in all, Malmo guys accepted me like their own brother, we bonded and I can honestly say that even though we have stars like Dawson, Sheilds and Adrienne on the team we are all equal, no matter if we play 2nd line or we are struggling. We are the team. Always.
Do you think you experience in your first season in VHL could have gone better?
I don't think so, I was put into position where I can contribute and be there when my team needed me. I was able to show off my skills. Everyone was welcoming, no hate towards me by anyone in the league and I have to say, what more can you actually hope for?