Thinking of AGMs

Plate

Hi, I Have an Idea?

Recently I have been offered a couple of positions as an AGM for some clubs that I'm pretty fond of. Now, I know that AGMs are done on a case by case basis. It's just been on my mind that they're one of the most official positions done unofficially. There is no job pay assigned to them (Unless the GM feels generous and splits his 2 TPE). Sometimes GMs ride the wave solo and don't even hire an assistant. Other times a teams GM could be gone for a few seasons and the AGM is the one taking care of the team. The funny thing is, the way that the VHL does it is almost identical to the way the NHL does it. 

The NHL also has it at a case by case basis. Some AGMs manage scouting, trades, others might even handle the salary cap and coaching acquisition. It's totally up to whoever the GM is to put their AGM in that position. Rules and responsibilities are handed out depending on whoever the AGM is. With that being said, I'm sure the BoG has thought of literally thousands of ideas to try and better the system to make it a more official position. And I'm certainly not going to sit here and fight for a job to get 1 TPE pay a week because I was thinking of taking the position myself. This is just a public thought piece on my behalf. I've thought about this before even all the way back to S65. It isn't as crazy as the other articles I've done. God forbid you eat corn on the cob without butter, salt and pepper. 

Responsibility

I'm just going to list out the responsibilities of a VHL GM so we can be on the same page here. At least, if you don't agree with me, you know where I'm coming from: 

• Scouting
  • Analytics
  • Salary Cap (VHL)
  • Coaching
  • Team Direction
  • Trades
  • Human Resources

The reason why "Salary Cap" is followed by (VHL) is because the VHLM doesn't really have a salary cap. "Coaching" is just being in charge of managing the lines in STHS. 

Is this anything special? Well, not really. The only thing that I can think of is listing out a bunch of responsibilities as I've done just now. Then the GM can take responsibilities from this list that they want to be filled in the job ad. If the GM doesn't want to deal with the discord drama he doesn't have to - and it's official. You can put the AGM in charge of that now. If the GM only wants to focus on the trades, the scouting and the team direction - they could have their AGM focus on the day to day tasks like doing the lines and analytics. Maintaining the case-by-case nature of the job is important in maintaining it's relevance.

This system also brings accountability to the AGM position. Something like this would let AGMs know specifically what they need to do as their job requires it. You could cap out the number of responsibilities an AGM is in charge of. Or if an AGM is in charge of 2-3 of those responsibilities, then you can think about sliding 1 TPE job pay to them. 

Closing

With that being said, I will not be accepting a job as an AGM any time soon. Thank you to those who gave interest in me and I have reached out to you directly to let you know I won't be filling the position. If you're looking to do any job in the league for pay, you're looking for a job for the wrong reasons. Often times the work you do is way more than the job pay you're given. Seeking a job in the league requires a certain passion and patience. It isn't for everyone. That's okay. This is a hobby for fun at the end of the day. 

668 words

4 hours ago, Plate said:

If the GM doesn't want to deal with the discord drama he doesn't have to - and it's official. You can put the AGM in charge of that now. If the GM only wants to focus on the trades, the scouting and the team direction - they could have their AGM focus on the day to day tasks like doing the lines and analytics.

What if some drama breaks out on Discord and the AGM isn't online? Or, what if someone messages a GM and they say, "yeah, that's not my problem; I have my AGM do trades." Conversely, drama can erupt if a GM decides to take something over and the AGM doesn't like it because "hey, that's my thing." Obviously, these are extreme cases, but it's a bad look.

I think the thing that gets missed a lot here is that there's nothing stopping a GM from running their team like this already. If I hypothetically wanted to make Berocka do all the lines, I can do that--and if he doesn't want to, I can find a new AGM. There's certainly enough of a supply on the market that I'd be able to make it work.

This is going to sound mean, and please don't take this as any sort of condescending or targeted statement, but if you'd like to convince the league (or the GM community) that this is a good idea, good luck. I can definitely see the benefit to this from an AGM perspective, but taking away or splitting the power of the GM in any sort of official capacity is never going to happen. 

I love the AGM position. I always say AGMs *do* get paid - if they’re on top of things and ask the Press Conference questions every week, they get their 2 TPE job pay.

As for the discord drama, there’s no cut and dry line of who’s problem it is and isn’t. The AGM - along with GM and captains - is part of the team leadership group. All the leaders of a team have a responsibility to manage and support the personalities of the team both publicly and privately. Any member can put out a fire in the LR, but players old and new look to management to be the primary problem solvers of the team.