Reviewing a post I made in September of each year (2013-2020)

Victor

• Admin

I was admiring my profile yesterday and it came to my attention that I joined this website on September 28, 2013, meaning we are approaching 7 years of our move to this website post-DDOS attack. To celebrate this occasion, I will go through a post I can find which I made in September of each year to date and evaluate my evolution in full.

On 9/28/2013 at 10:48 AM, Victor said:

If someone gets me information on trades, free agency, drafts, and player pages I can get that organized so it doesnt look like a mess after transfer.

Look at this lil hustler offering to solve problems right off the bat. The DDOS attack would have been the first real challenge of my commish tenure which would have been only 6 months old or so. Not quite @Beaviss's baptism of fire last year but still a pretty big deal.

The thread that quote comes from is a role call of legendary VHL members. Created by @Higgins after he created this site, other legends who posted before my input were @sterling @Beketov @Smarch @Advantage @Jericho @Sandro @Kyle @STZ @fever95 and @Squinty but apparently an account that got Hogan'd out of existence.

On 9/29/2014 at 8:26 PM, Victor said:

Over-ruled. What is this, the SHL?

Fast forward to September 2014 and we come across another staple of the Victatorship - constant and of course deserved slander of the SHL. In this case, it appears that an SHLer was hired as grader here and did a terrible job of grading the work of a fellow SHLer. In the days where I would have been reading every single new post on the forum, I swooped in before the head grader - possibly Squinty then or maybe flyersfan - and overruled with the snarky comment above. Enter a very young Will (Will as grader!) and justice is restored with a nice 8 TPE in the bank for Okranitz.

As an aside, with the presence of myself, @chatfan036, @flyersfan1453, and @Will in this thread, half of its posters won the cup with Moscow in S70.

On 9/17/2015 at 7:20 AM, Victor said:

Sim until Seattle wins a game.

A few things to unpack here. Firstly, that Seattle was always a trash franchise. But what we really should focus on here is the quintessential 2015 VHL sim experience. On September 16th, the legendary Jardy had already missed a day's sim and had promised a double sim. In fact, he said it was "simcoming", a superb word play for one of the greatest men to grace the league.

Instead, we got a triple sim on the 17th instead when Will almost simmed and then decided to pass the baton back to Jardy away. Elite shithousery and I just would love to see the reaction if this happened today. Also guest appearances from @Phil @tfong @hedgehog337 and @gorlab in that S45 regular season index thread.

On 9/20/2016 at 9:04 PM, Victor said:

I 4ccept.

S45 was the beginning of Greg Clegane's career - one year later he was about to embark on his most iconic. With Toronto coming off a threepeat and seemingly all the big names in the VHL hitting FA, I ended up going on vacation at the most inopportune time. From reviewing my photo album, this appears to have been a trip down to Malaga in the south of Spain for a beach holiday.

Anyway, I missed the FA frenzy and came back to see most of the big names sign either in Calgary (who had a goalie in Smarch) or Riga (who had a goalie in Jardy - the other Clegane). I still had a remarkable amount of options for a 7th season goalie, probably more than @JeffD had this past off-season, and opted for an unlikely story with Toronto. What ensued was a regular season dominated by Calgary but a playoffs dominated by the Cleganes and culminating in CLEGANEBOWL, statistically one of the greatest goaltending battles in VHL history. It was a fitting (almost) end for Clegane and for a while for my time in the VHL too.

On 9/23/2017 at 11:04 PM, Victor said:

You have to either commit to being a tyrant or bow down to the will of the people.

I know you have what it takes Devise.

So then I took basically the whole of 2017 off and it was great actually. I did make 10 posts in September 2017, most of them in the admin forum in a time of some turmoil which appeared to result in @Devise becoming commissioner - a move, ironically, I had blocked about 2 years earlier. Bek also joined alongside which has obviously been a positive move for league-wide simming even though Devise didn't last too long as commish, moving into the shadows alongside all the cool kids.

On 9/13/2018 at 8:02 PM, Victor said:

I'm just a lowly member y u tag.

By the same time the following year I was however back with the legendary Podrick Cast, the best player drafted in S61. Evidently I was still keeping a low profile, probably sporting a member tag despite my admin access. Obviously my power hungry side won over with an expansion GM slot and pretty much all the commish perks without being a commish. But back in S62, 2 years ago, I was just a lowly member.

Then in September 2019 I made a VHL.com article stating that I had never won a cup in the 8th season of my players careers, going into the 8th seasons of Cast's career: https://vhlforum.com/topic/68808-ive-never-won-a-cup-in-my-8th-season/?do=findComment&comment=663054

Cast ended up missing the playoffs that season but fittingly, a year later, Pavlov has just begun his 8th season. Will history repeat itself? Who knows but if you've made it this far, thank you for joining me for this 7-year journey. I'll see you in September 2021.

Fun read this. Also; if you would of told any of us who had to rebuild the site post the DDoS attack where the site would be today at the time I don't know if we'd believe you. There was a lot of work put in and I'm not going to lie, I remember a time when it felt like there was maybe 15-20 of us and that was it. 

3 hours ago, Devise said:

Fun read this. Also; if you would of told any of us who had to rebuild the site post the DDoS attack where the site would be today at the time I don't know if we'd believe you. There was a lot of work put in and I'm not going to lie, I remember a time when it felt like there was maybe 15-20 of us and that was it. 

Was a very interesting move but it really united a lot of the oldheads here.

• Senior Admin
3 hours ago, Victor said:

Fast forward to September 2014 and we come across another staple of the Victatorship - constant and of course deserved slander of the SHL. In this case, it appears that an SHLer was hired as grader here and did a terrible job of grading the work of a fellow SHLer. In the days where I would have been reading every single new post on the forum, I swooped in before the head grader - possibly Squinty then or maybe flyersfan - and overruled with the snarky comment above. Enter a very young Will (Will as grader!) and justice is restored with a nice 8 TPE in the bank for Okranitz.

And that my friends is why I nuked grading some years later 

• 3 years later...
On 1/7/2024 at 6:39 AM, Victor said:

@JardyB10 you get two tags from me today because I was digging through my old Media Spots and looks like I missed you a bit around this time.

It was worth it I guess 😛