Laine not worried over slow start, praises team

Laine

600117577_PatrikLaineCard2.thumb.jpg.eef5e354402e722d4641e92898798b7c.jpg

Patrik Laine (pictured above) during a game against the Malmo Nighthawks.

HELSINKI - The Helsinki Titans have had a slow start to the season. They currently stand with a 7-5-0 record, tied with Moscow for 4th place in the European Conference. Part of the reason for Helsinki's early season struggles has been the play of rookie Patrik Laine. Laine, who was drafted 9th Overall by Helsinki in the S73 VHL Entry Draft has only 1 goal and 5 points through 12 games. Laine says it isn't worrying him too much.

"I knew this would happen. It was like my first year in Houston in the VHLM. I wasn't scoring right away, just the odd time as I was adjusting to the league. The second half of the season is when the scoring came. 5 points in 12 games is still good for me, I've been good defensively and I just gotta stay with it and play my game."

Laine praised his team for a great welcome and start to the season despite his early struggles.

"Yeah, the boys welcomed me into the locker room with open arms. They could tell I was beginning to get frustrated the past few games and I went and had a talk with Summers and he told me I just gotta stay with. I also had an insightful conversation with Jubo about how rookies take a bit to adjust and it brought my focus right back into my strengths. I'm super glad I have such a good team around me. Not just in on-ice ability but also off the ice and in the front office."

258 Words