S74 Future Watch: VHL Prospect Pools

mattyIceman

Z4wfp98jWWAX-_F3CfzH4nyXm5RTlcuUxmfrOzz9

Welcome to yet another edition of Future Watch!  I’m Head Scout Matty Ice.  I’ve taken over my fellow contributor (Patrik Tallinder)’s series, and I went in another direction.  Quotes from every VHL GM sure add to the depth of the article and it has been such a pleasure to deal with all of them.  Thank you VHL GMs for taking the time!

Let’s get right to it!

H3evdlH.png

CALGARY WRANGLERS

Calgary was already a young team entering their prime, but with some roster movement and TWELVE selections in the s74 draft, they now have a very deep pool of prospects.  Among those selected on Calgary’s roster, Luke Thornton and Jonas Stormsson have big shoes to fill.  Three VHLM prospects stand out, namely Las Vegas Aces’ Gary Rush, Miami’s Eoin Byrne and Mississauga goaltender Vsevolod Akarov.  

Quote from GM Ryan Jubis:
Calgary had only one prospect before the S74 draft. Gary Rush, who’s a great prospect that’s close to moving up to the VHL, chose to play one more season in the VHLM. After a few trades before and during the draft, Calgary ended up with 12 picks. Two of those picks are already playing in the VHL this season and making an impact. 2 more prospects will make the jump next season. Calgary now has a plethora of prospect goalies. As the GM I saw value in having other goalies in the system behind Lafontaine. As these goalies grow and continue to mature if the opportunity is not here for them, I will not hold any of these players hostage. If they wish to look for full-time roles I will be here to help them accomplish that. If one of them wants to work their way into VHL backup for a season. We can do that as well. Overall I am very happy to have such a stacked prospect pool. The Wranglers' future is bright.

With tons of prospect depth and only two selections without a contract, they have many future assets that they can rely on to either trade for a missing piece or graduate into the Calgary system

Top Prospects: Luke Thornton, Gary Rush, Jonas Stormsson, Eoin Byrne, Vsevolod Askarov
Prospect Grade: A-

@Jubis @Jtv123 @G_Rush @Kyle @LatinViking @Gooningitup

ChicagoBar_8LY8jf9.png

CHICAGO PHOENIX

This young team fresh off their inaugural season, had seven draft selections in S74.  VHL rookies Christian Mingle and Lee Xin headline this prospect pool at the center and winger positions respectively.  Virtually all prospects have a shot at graduating into the Phoenix lineup at some point.  Winger Kasey Tamm playing for Halifax has the greatest chance of playing for the team next season, with goalie Kloxified eyeing the backup goaltender role and players like Roseann Petal and Darius Marimoto filling in depth roles.

Quote from General Manager Jeff Dee:
We had the second overall selection at the S74 Draft.  We had some big moves to make to further the development of the team. At second overall we grabbed Christian Mingle, who I think could have very easily gone first overall. He has immediately slotted in on the big squad and has been having a good season so far.  Lee Xin has been amazing so far and has not only been performing very well on the ice but is a great locker room presence. At 21st overall we managed to grab Kasey Tamm who I believe has the potential to be a star in the VHL. He is spending this season developing with the Halifax 21st this season but we have big plans for him going forward from next year.  Kloxified is also spending this season developing with the Yukon Rush, whom he also played for last season in the VHLM. He should make the hop to the VHL next year where he will likely start as a backup to JP Camus. After Kloxified we managed to select the player I think may end up being the steal of the S74 draft and that is Darius Marimoto. Marimoto immediately hopped into our locker room after being selected and is now running our team's social media accounts. He is constantly in the practice facility and I believe he will quickly become a well known player around the league. While he is spending this season in the VHLM, I fully expect him in the VHL next season. Last and certainly not least is Yuuto Kira Cloudera who is a defenseman currently enjoying their second season with Minnesota in the VHLM and who I think can have a solid career moving forward.

Top Prospects: Christian Mingle, Lee Xin, Kasey Tamm, Matty Socks

@Quik @Blazzer  @kesytamm @fishy @solas @dariusmarimotoman @kentakira @JeffD

0beFNki.png

D.C. DRAGONS

This aging team will have many positions to fill by Season 76’s end.  Having had three selections in the S74 draft, two prospects stand out.  Ottawa Lynx defenseman Jackson Philliefan and Yukon Rush centerman Alec Andreshnikov eye open spots in the near future.  Defenseman Rick Osman is considered to be a more long-term project that may fill a depth role someday.

Quote from General Manager Eno Rama:
I'm hoping that as long as we have Wolski in net, we'll be able to field a competitive roster. As our core ages out, we should be able to replenish it through trades and drafting and while our pipeline isn't full of blue chip talent right now, I'm confident they can be solid complementary pieces on a cup-winning roster.

The aging Dragons blue line will be in dire need for skilled defensemen to replace the retiring Lance Flowers, Luciano Valentino and Ricky Johnson to keep up with the rest of the league.  Hopefully their drafted defensemen can step up and maintain the Dragons' compete level.

Top Prospects: Jackson Philliefan, Alec Andreshnikov
Prospect Grade: B-

@Enorama @Philliefan @PuckPushers @dylanjj37

orV41eH.png

HC DAVOS DYNAMO

This is still a very young team with a deep, but porous prospect pool.  They have no real immediate need to replace any player at any position, besides newly-acquired free agent and legendary goaltender Rayz Funk, who will be retiring at Season 74’s end.  With Joakim Bruden next in line to be Davos’ starter, there are no depth issues with the Dynamo.  Many of their prospects have gone inactive and/or are without a team or contract.  Two prospects of note are D-man Shawty Nananana and winger Vlad Imir, playing for Halifax and Yukon respectively.  Their development has been steady and on pace to hit the VHL ranks as soon as next season.

Quote from General Manager Jerry Garcia:
Davos is still a fairly young team, but we've got the prospects to keep us going for some time in the future. The eventual replacement for one of our S69 defenders is Shawty Nananana, a second-round pick this season who will be up in S75 after one season down. One of last season's thirds, Vlad Imir, is also set to make the jump, and I'm hoping he'll keep up the earning and fulfill his current projection as a long-term second-line player. On top of that, two guys I'm really excited about are Jim Allen and Piero Angela, fourth-round selections this season who are active and have the ability to make it up in a season or two.

Top Prospects: Shawty Nananana, Vlad Imir
Prospect Grade: C

@Grape @Big Dee @jimmyallen93 @Minermonkey @GustavMattias

MXuqhUu.png

HELSINKI TITANS

Having selected four defensemen in the S74 draft and all active defensemen having ending contracts at the end of the season, Helsinki has a deep enough pool of defensemen to fill their shoes if they want to.  Two defenders from Halifax, Gabriel Akerstrom and Kate Upton, come to mind when having options at the blue line.  Las Vegas defender Chase Crosby can be a surprise selection if he continues to remain active.  S73 draftees Patrik Laine and Oh Sens have made their rookie debuts in support roles, but may move up to top line roles if their development continues.

Quote from General Manager Juliann Borwinn:
The S74 VHL entry draft held just over a week ago saw many promising players find new homes in the VHL. Helsinki's playbook was quickly realized by onlookers as they took to the podium announcing only defenseman in their draft positions. With a plethora of forwards and young goaltenders to shore up the future, the Titans looked at their depth chart and focused solely on what was needed for seasons to come. While having a strong defensive core, Helsinki had no D prospects to speak of and hoped to have addressed their future needs.  While still early, Gabriel Akerstrom looks poised to make the jump next season, while Upton and Crosby continue to excel in the VHLM.  Buckfast has yet to report but the Titans are hopeful he will make a return.

Top Prospects: Gabriel Akerstrom, Patrik Laine, Oh Sens
Prospect Grade: B+

@Jubo07 @osens @PatrikLaine @Mason @OscarTheSwagDude @AnthonyOuellet

LondonBar_uu5ZE7B.png

LONDON UNITED

The young franchise definitely used their three first round selections to pick top-quality prospects in Ryan Schwarz and Julian Nousiainen, who have made their rookie debuts alongside s73 draftee Alec Volchenkov and have kept pace without much extra effort.  Their third first rounder, defenseman Kasper Kankkunen, elected to remain in the VHLM’s Las Vegas Aces for one more season for some refinement to his game, despite the glaring hole at the defense position.  Goaltender Kevin Malone is also poised to challenge for the United’s starting goalie role, with forward Maxim Yakolevsky and defenseman Tee Pee E II being considered longer-term projects.

Quote from General Manager Roger McWolf:
We only had two seasons to build our prospect pool, but I'm proud of the players we got. Malone and Kankkunen are the highlights (of the recent draftees still playing in the VHLM). They're set to start with us next season, and they'll bring much needed support at our two weakest positions.

Top Prospects: Ryan Schwarz, Julian Nousiainen, Kasper Kankkunen, Kevin Malone
Prospect Grade: A

@McWolf @Enorama @okochastar @ZP16 @chatfan036 @Goliathus  @Nepto @SirRupertBarnes

LA_Bar_vTlkKwA.png

LOS ANGELES STARS

Los Angeles loaded up on prospects in the S73 entry draft. Having had only two picks in the S74 Draft, both making their rookie debuts with the big club, defenseman Lester Green and Doug Dimmadome are both quality players.  These two players alone have the potential to completely transform the defense and puck-stopping ability into an impregnable fortress down the road.  The only worthy player still in the VHLM is Las Vegas Aces goaltender Drew Minott.  

Quote from General Manager Josh Da Silva:
Coming up in the defense pipeline we have Gumballs, Green, and Keef and all three are in their rookie season. I see Gumballs and Green manning the first pairing for the next few seasons. They're playing well together and are both strong defensive players. Keef's development is going to take a little longer but I believe he'll be an impact player in a couple of seasons.  Lastly but certainly not least, Doug Dimmadome, owner of the Dimmsdale Dimmadome, is our rookie goaltender this season. The best player available to us in the draft and shaping up to be one of the best starting goalies in the league. Hoping he stays with us long term with that guaranteed starter spot.

Nearly all of their draft selections are VHL caliber players, however their prospect pipeline at skating positions is seriously lacking.

Top Prospects: Lester Green, Doug Dimmadome, Jiggly Gumballs

@Josh @JigglyGumballs @Esso2264 @DreMin15 @Smarch @RStar

IpRHgQo.png

MALMO NIGHTHAWKS

This is still quite a young team.  Having only one selection from the S74 draft class, Philadelphia Reapers winger Carson Walkers, they don’t really have any urgent need to fill their pipeline.  With superstar defenseman Condor Adrienne retiring at the end of Season 75, there could be a gaping hole at defense.  Perhaps in the next draft they select a star defenseman?  With s73 defenseman Kirishima Wakaro making his rookie start, it fills the gap for now.

Quote from General Manager John Frostbeard:
Well, we have two players that are still playing in VHLM, Kevin Sterk and Carson Walkers. I think we are in a good spot considering that we already have a team ready to compete. That said, I strongly believe that any team should always have extra players ready to come up as that adds extra value to the overall team composition. Also, more people means that your LR is active and chatty.

For now, Malmo’s prospect pool is severely lacking, but without a need at this current period, I don’t think it really matters.

Top Prospect: Carson Walkers
Prospect Grade: C-

@FrostBeard @Snussu @Cwalker @TenZi

8gziSIs.png

MOSCOW MENACE

Another young team to discuss here.  With only two selections in the past draft, Moscow has enough depth to address any need.  Season 74 draftees Alex Zouzouambe at wing and defenseman Breeze Ladrian joined Fat Palloon and Michael Hall to round out their prospect pipeline.  With goaltender Raymond Bernard retiring at the end of season 75, Moscow should perhaps look to draft their replacement goalie in the upcoming draft.

Quote from General Manager Victor Alfredsson:
Our youth movement is coming to an end as most of our recent draftees have graduated but I'm happy to have 3 more exciting prospects in the pipeline, all of whom I believe will have a role to play in Moscow in the future. I suspect Palloon and Zouzouambe will be ready to step up to the VHL next season, just in time to replace some retirees both up front and on defence. Ladrian is a more long-term project but I'm hopeful he will follow in the tradition of other Moscow steals like Clarke, Telker, and Angellini and make an impact for us soon.

Top Prospects: Fat Palloon, Michael Hall, Alex Zouzouambe
Prospect Grade: B

@Victor @BigZouzou @Kelsier @UnkemptCL4PTP @Hops 

tBGI8d5.png

NEW YORK AMERICANS

This aging team, starved for a proper rebuild, drafted very well at all positions in the past two drafts.  With five retiring players at this season’s end, 1st round selection Markus Schauer began his rookie season at defense.  Rounding out the prospect pool, Saskatoon teammates centerman Brian Strong Jr, goalie Cal Conway and defenseman Gabriel Johnson provide necessary depth and possibly front-runners to fill key positions next season.  Aces centerman Rhynex Entertainment is developing quite nicely and could compete for a depth role.

Quote from General Manager Esso Drunkmann:
I think our prospect pool is really good.  We have a bunch of them that came up this year and they are all great. Only thing I ask of them is to keep developing and have some fun around the team we're building.

Top Prospects: Markus Schauer, Brian Strong Jr, Rhynex Entertainment, Cal Conway

@Esso2264 @Plate @Wheaties @Rhynex Entertainment @Shaka @GeckoeyGecko

UjNmgBS.png

PRAGUE PHANTOMS

With two selections in the s74 draft, they selected John LeClair II and The Blob to round out their prospect pool.  Although most of their prospects have turned out to be longer-term projects, they may have some diamonds in the rough. The team managed to strike gold late in the draft three times in the S73 draft, and obtained 3 of the 5 remaining active players past 46th overall. And it isn’t as if these are players to write off either; Secel Keller, Theodore James St Louis, and Zachariah Kisslinger regularly find themselves earning 6 to 10 TPE per week, and could be valuable assets on Prague’s roster in no time.  The team will be experiencing some turnover in the next two or three seasons, so they have some time to address those needs through the draft if they chose to.  One of the biggest question marks is Andre LeBastard, who hasn't performed up to 1st round caliber.  He may be the big bust of the s73 draft.

Quote from General Manager Jason Glasser
While the prospect pool would have looked a lot better a season ago, before Dan Baillie Jr, Riley Knight Gee, and Andre Lebastard all graduated to the bigs, it's still a solid group of players, especially taking into account the limited number of picks we've had in order to get to this. 6 guys in the prospect pool, all at least somewhat active, and not a single one drafted earlier than 32. The Blob and Kisslinger will likely be ready to come up to the team next season, and ultimately I expect all of them to eventually contribute to the Phantoms on some level.

Top Prospects: John LeClair II, Dan Baillie Jr
Prospect Grade: B

@diamond_ace  @flyersfan1453 @wcats @KnightRiley @Andre LeBastard @JorgTheGoat03 @xsjack @Nick Kirkpatrick @Kisslinger

7w9f2U9.png

RIGA REIGN

This championship-caliber team will have massive holes to fill after the retirements of legendary defenseman Lincoln Tate and star forward Phil Marleau.  Having selected twice in the S74 draft, they selected Jeffrenomitsu The 3rd and defenseman Matt Thunder.  Jeffrenomitsu has made his Riga debut, while Thunder remains a longer-term prospect.  S72 draftee Bobby Wyman seems right on the cusp of being a VHL player, however his development is still a question mark.

Quote from General Manager Benjamin Zeptenbergs
Our two prospects are gonna help to bolster our defensive core in the future. Our current D lineup is slowly running thin with Tate retiring following this season and both Sasakamoose and Clarke hitting another regression. So we will need help there. Good thing is we have two prospects with different mindset - Wyman as physical and shooting-first threat and Thunder as more of an all-arounder. I'm also glad we could pick them with later picks, it's always great to find a steal, since this also satisfies our positional needs.

Top Prospects: Jeffrenomitsu The 3rd, Bobby Wyman
Prospect Grade: B-

@hedgehog337 @Jeffie43 @Lefty_S @Matt thunder

sEkoclV.png

SEATTLE BEARS

Fresh off their fourth cup win in six seasons, Seattle still managed to keep a prospect pipeline to build a team to continue winning Continental Cups.  First round selection Isabella Campbell headlines the ranks by joining Seattle right out of the draft.  Defenseman Lucifer Olivier Leveque and centerman Leo Strauss round out the high caliber prospect pool.  They remain in the VHLM this season to fine tune their games and look to join Seattle in the near future.

Quote from General Manager Blake Campbell:
I think right now Seattle has a pretty healthy and successful prospect pool. The fact that we’ve been winning with the same powerful core, or most of them, that we’ve had since S67 up to this off-season was super special.  (Hulk) Hogan and Berocka (Sundqvist) are retiring at the season's end and all these players are going to jump in nicely to continue on the Bears legacy of incredible skill when it comes to the blue line for the last many seasons. I think these players mixing in with Odin Omdahl are going to continue to help Seattle find ways to contend for playoffs and the cup. Even though he is still very young, committed to himself and the Bears and a very good member/player in the league that others would love to have.  This draft, we managed to come out very well.  Overall, I think Seattle has done a good enough job that if we wanted to, we could continue to contend, make playoffs and keep the cupboards stored for seasons to come. As the seasons go on it may become a little more challenging but I think instead of challenging, just always on your toes and keeping your mind and eyes open. Moving forward, though, I feel like we’ve checked enough positional boxes to keep Seattle alive.

Clearly, Blake Campbell is passionate about his Bears, and centerwoman/daughter Isabella finally making it to the big show.

Top Prospects: Isabella Campbell, Lucifer Olivier Leveque, Rocket, Leo Strauss

@Banackock @InstantRockstar @Rocket @gregreg

4rgbBt7.png

TORONTO LEGION

With all the previous prospects having moved up to Toronto’s starting lineup and all inactives released, they used their two selections in the draft to pick two quality players.  Aces winger Nicholas Sunderbruch and Halifax centerman Wolf Weiss are quality prospects that may move up to the VHL ranks as early as next season, provided they continue their development. Sunderbruch in particular has taken a big step forward in his development since the start of September, even capping out in a nice 24 TPE effort in the week of 9/20. He is definitely one to keep your eye on in the future. Besides these two prospects, Toronto’s pipeline is literally empty.  They should address this need in future drafts.

Quote from General Manager Rylan Peace:
Currently, Toronto has holes all over the roster, and both of the Legions' prospects can help fill them when they make the jump to the VHL at the conclusion of their VHLM career.  They can jump in and provide immediate stability while the Legion continues to look for ways to improve, and give us an opportunity to continue developing into a championship team.  Matmenzinger's (player agent for Wolf Weiss) previous player was a staple for Moscow, so we know he's a reliable individual to bank some of our faith in.  Nick Sunderbruch is a first generation player, but I'm impressed at his growth and I have no issues putting my faith in him as well; and of course I had two prospects graduate to the VHL this season, but Ziarie Anigbogu should be included on this list, so I add him here as someone who's been a reliable earner and will challenge for a top four role as soon as next season.

Top Prospects: Nicholas Sunderbruch, Wolf Weiss
Prospect Grade: C+

@Peace @Matmenzinger @NickSunderbruch @ngine4

7NXO7mc.png

VANCOUVER WOLVES

This team has a very deep prospect pool.  With six draftees from the s74 entry draft, they used their three, high first round selections to pick stars-in-the-making; center Venus Thightrap, winger Onde Sandstrom and defensewoman Emi Rune.  They have all made their rookie debuts this season and will form the next core that is the Vancouver Wolves.  With many prospects still playing in the VHLM, one notable player is centerwoman Riley Couture.  She is very close to being VHL ready, but will remain with the Halifax 21st until next season.  Other draftees include forwards Florent Vericel and Jeff Odinson, with Markus Emerson Jr playing goalie for Mexico City.  These players are considered to be longer-term projects for the organization, as they have remained in the VHLM to develop their game before being called up.  Take note of Emerson Jr, he has been developing at a rapid pace and may end up being an absolute steal of a pick from the 4th round. Him capping out in both of the last two weeks in which he put up a respective 40 and 24 TPE is remarkable, and undoubtedly a path that will lead him to much success at the VHL level.

Quote from General Manager Keaton Louth:
I feel like we really addressed all our team needs at the draft. Our team was at a crossroads where we have some great older talent and a couple prospects that were making the jump this season. We were heading up to the draft with lots of picks but only a few higher picks. I made it my goal to get as high as possible to get the game-breaking talent I knew was there without sacrificing anything of note. We were also able to grab a couple players that will make the team in the next few seasons which will help us once the older players retire.

Top Prospects: Venus Thightrap, Onde Sandstrom, Emi Rune, Riley Couture, Jeff Odinson, Florent Vericel
Prospect Grade: A+

@Beaviss @BladeMaiden @fonziGG @Emi @Riley_Couture @dart @GoldGear88 @Xflexz 

WarsawBar_YJyx3S3.png

WARSAW PREDATORS

The young franchise really stacked up their pipeline with the conclusion of the S74 draft.  Three of their picks have already moved up to the VHL club, joining Arthur Dayne, Jeremy Lin, Victor Grachev and Dakota Lamb.  With a total of seven rookies on the roster, the recent draftees integrate very well into the already young team.  First overall selection Aloe Dear frontlines the prospect class.  Fellow winger Lexi Glass and defenseman Tim Waters have proven that they were worthy to make that jump alongside Dear, and will be part of Warsaw’s core moving forward.  Winger Chris Reynolds isn’t far behind on the depth chart.  He needs to continue developing with a stacked Las Vegas Aces roster behind him.

Quote from General Manager Damien Walec:
Chris Reynolds has been working really hard since we selected him, and we're excited about his future. He's on a strong trajectory and should rank among the top prospects in the league.  Angel Wachiure has been a steady and strong prospect for us, one that we really felt we got a great value with him. He's played well for Las Vegas so far this season, and we're excited to see what he can contribute for us in the future.  Nathaniel N is a strong young prospect for our defensive core. We're willing to be patient with his development as we feel it'll pay off strong dividends in the future for us.

Clearly, no comment was made on the S74 rookies, because they are already solid, which goes without needing any comment.

Top Prospects: Aloe Dear, Lexi Glass, Tim Waters, Chris Reynolds, Dakota Lamb, Victor Grachev
Prospect Grade: A+

@.sniffuM @Renomitsu  @Siddhus @Crstats23 @dlamb @KaleebtheMighty @inflastud @AW13 @NathanN 

Word Count (excluding GM quotes) : 1800 somewhere around there

I want to extend a special thank you to Patrick Tallinder.  Thank you for your contribution, help and guidance.  It means a lot to me and the VHL

Edited by MattyIce
Position correction for Nicholas Sunderbruch

• Commissioner
20 hours ago, MattyIce said:

Moscow should perhaps look to draft their replacement goalie in the upcoming draft.

Can’t confirm anything but with @Victor making a goalie I’d have to assume he’s going to use the auto-first round rule.

13 minutes ago, Beketov said:

Can’t confirm anything but with @Victor making a goalie I’d have to assume he’s going to use the auto-first round rule.

Rasputin rumors non existent haha.  Slam dunk Moscow 1st perhaps?  Moscow looking up