McWolf

THEPLAYERSTRIBUNE

Quick Hits: The Steve Yzerman Edition - Winging It In Motown

What it means to be a locker room leader

BY SS HORNET

AUG 26 2020

"

2 seasons down, 6 more to go.

I entered the VHL right after getting selected in the Season 72 Entry Draft, I played on the 2nd line most of these 2 first seasons, I got better every season, and here we are now - I'm what is generally considered as a veteran. The locker room around me changed a lot this offseason. We were set for great things last season, with a bunch of veterans leading Davos, but somehow, we couldn't get it done. My algorithm shows that we should have done a lot better, we should have gone a lot deeper into the playoffs.

"

On paper - we're set for major regression, but I am more than ready for it.

We lost Jet Jaguar, Jerry Garcia, Charlie Paddywagon, who all retired following our disappointing loss to Malmo in the Wild Card round. You compare the before and after and obviously, the roster got a bit worse, but it means that some players on the team get to have bigger roles now. It's especially true for Robin Winter and I. We are both entering our 3rd season and are both set to be much more important for the team moving forward. Robin was an alternate captain for the team last season, and he will retain his role this season.

Steve Yzerman wisely avoiding making promises with Red Wings - SooToday.com

Now, as a steambot, I don't really understand complex human feelings. My algorithm can emulate some of them, but I'm still not capable of positively affecting my teammates morale - their will to play the hardest they can so we can achieve our common objective of winning hockey games. In that regard, I have a lot to learn from Robin. I plan on playing for Davos as long as I can, especially if Robin sticks around for a while too.

But even if I can't be a morale booster, a great human leader that makes others around him better, I get to be a leader in my own way. I got promoted to first line duties this season, sharing a line with some of the better players in the league in Soren Jensen and Roque Davis. I get to be the top center around such great players, which means I get to show the extent of my skillset, the true potential I showed glimpse of for the past three seasons in Las Vegas and now in Davos.

"

I play a clean game - I win faceoffs, I shoot a lot and I draw more penalties than I take myself.

From I what I see around the league, I play a unique style. Aggression is at an all-time high, with most forwards prioritizing hits over cleaner alternatives. Per my program's calculations, it seems like my style of play might be better for the team's overall performance. With the trio of players leaving Davos via retirement, I believe we truly need that type of strictly positive script going on for us.

That's the type of leader, the type of veteran, I choose to be right now. Who knows, maybe a couple years down the line, after looking at current captain Fernando Jokinen long enough, I'll be able to become a great motivator in the locker room as well, but there's still so much I don't understand from humans.

Steve Yzerman Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

SS Hornet

HC DAVOS DYNAMO

Edited by McWolf

• McWolf changed the title to ThePlayersTribune - What it means to be a locker room leader