Minnesota's McLaren Declares for VHL Draft

tcookie

19-year-old left winger Addison McLaren, a promising sophomore for the University of Minnesota, announced today that he is opting to leave the team and turn professional, declaring for the VHL Entry Draft. He is now eligible to speak with VHLM teams to find a home for the remainder of S74 in preparation for the draft.

McLaren had 11 goals and 16 points in 31 games in his rookie campaign, starting as a fourth liner but moving into the team's top-six as the season went on. Half of his production - 6 goals and 8 points - came in the team's final 11 games.

He was expected to be a key player for the Golden Gophers this year before rumours of VHL interest picked up and encouraged him to consider turning pro. Despite being just 5'7" and 155 pounds, McLaren is known to be a feisty, physical winger with an above average shot and knack for scoring goals.

"I feel like this is the right decision for my hockey career at this time," McLaren said in a statement on his social media accounts. "This is a big step and a new beginning, and I'm looking for a place to start my VHL career where I will have a strong support group to help get used to everything."