BOG Update - September 28 to October 4

BOG UPDATE

Week of October 4th

The Board of Governors did have a bit of a slower off-season with much of the focus being on our regular off-season voting in Awards and Hall of Fame.  However, with the season now well-underway, we are starting to see an increase in new topics, which will be the focus of this week’s Board of Governors update.

The only topic from last week that still is in progress is the League Survey, which I am working on the side to hopefully present to the Administrators and Board of Governors next week.  Hopefully with quick approval we can get that distributed this season, which should give us quite a bit more to talk about as we assess strengths and weaknesses and where we can improve as a league.  As I have mentioned before, I am very excited as I think with the huge uptick in activity since the last time we had a league survey, that we should receive a lot of very useful feedback to help us progress going forward.

As for new topics, there are a few new ones that were talked about over the past week.  The first one was a thread created earlier in the week in regards to the SHL potentially looking to switch away from STHS and towards FHM.  Most of the discussion seems centered around whether or not we could look at this as a potential option.  I think we can all agree that STHS is hardly a perfect sim engine but there would be some significant sacrifices if we were to switch to FHM with the main drawback being that we would have to sacrifice a lot of the automation that we have with the VHL Portal.  It would also be an absolute pain for simmers but time will tell if we see the SHL explore this option, which would give us a better idea of how we could handle it.  As of now, this is a wait-and-see thing but we all know how much of a hot topic STHS is, and unfortunately not for good reasons.

We also revisited the topic of how GM players would be handled in the draft with ideas like: highest draft pick available, any first round pick in the top 10, no specific treatment which means the GM has to arrange the acquisition themselves and even having the Administrators decide which first round pick would be appropriate, if the team has multiple available.  Additionally, there was discussion of retethering GM’s to their teams, where the player would not cost anything to the team to acquire.  Some do feel this is the fairest way and treats each team equally as a whole.  There was some support for pretty much all of these ideas with some feeling that if we don’t have any specific rule, that we should also allow GM’s to sign their players via Free Agency.  As a few pointed out though, the idea of every GM player just playing three seasons and then hitting FA will just manipulate their draft position anyway.  This is an ongoing discussion and I imagine we will have a vote on this after discussion finishes up.

Finally, we did also have a discussion on the idea of potentially making the Discord General Chat league-related only.  However, with a vote immediately being put in the Board of Governors, over ninety percent of voters said that they would not support this and would prefer a league discussion chat being added on top of the main general chat.  We will see if this happens, but discussion seems to indicate this may be happening.

That is it for this week’s BOG Update and as always if you have any suggestions or ideas, please let me know.

@Members

• Commissioner
4 hours ago, Advantage said:

The first one was a thread created earlier in the week in regards to the SHL potentially looking to switch away from STHS and towards FHM. 

Just to clarify, this topic was actually made awhile ago when they were actually considering the switch, they have long since switched. The new discussion was just getting an update on how things went.

8 hours ago, Beketov said:

Just to clarify, this topic was actually made awhile ago when they were actually considering the switch, they have long since switched. The new discussion was just getting an update on how things went.

Sorry yes.  Good call out.