Blockbuster Trade Alert

a_Ferk

Calgary and Warsaw made a deal today that has turned some heads. It is perhaps the biggest trade so far this season, seeing a total of 7 pieces moved between the two teams. Let’s take a look at which players and picks switched teams..

What Calgary Received:

S75 WAR 1st

No offense to Alex Bridges or Arthur Dayne, but this is by far the most valuable piece for Calgary in this trade. Warsaw is currently last place in the standings, and assuming they maintain this pace the lowest this pick could end up being is 2nd overall. That pick would be practically guaranteed to produce a star player.

Alex Bridges - S70 - 524 TPE

Alex Bridges has been a godsend for Warsaw in his short time here, racking up 86 points in 72 games last season with the help of the now retired Hunter Hearst Helmsley. Bridges is a pretty solid defesemen who will fit into Calgary’s second defense pairing. Bridges is a pretty significant downgrade for Calgary as Latrell Mitchell was their second best defenseman, and he was sent to Warsaw. Not only does Mitchell exceed Bridges in TPE by over 150, he’s also two seasons younger. Furthermore, S76 will be the first season that Bridges experiences depreciation, and he’s on the last year of his contract.

Arthur Dayne - S72 - 393 TPE

Arthur Dayne is a nice depth player, and should fit into Calgary’s lineup nicely in a 2nd line role. Infernal has been a top earner as of late, and can usually produce at least 6 tpe, while also hitting the cap some of the time. Arthur Dayne is the second biggest piece acquired for Calgary in this trade. He has his contract extended until S78, so he is not a rental which is a bonus. As of right now Dayne is a downgrade TPA-wise for Calgary, but Dayne will most certainly pass the man he is replacing after this season, Willie Dredge, as Dredge is currently inactive.

What Warsaw Received:

S76 TOR 2nd

This pick is two drafts from now, so it is too early to have a good estimate of where the pick will end up. However, Toronto is a relatively  young team and I think they will be on the rise next season. I’d put them in the top 8 for S75, but not the top 4. This would put this pick in the 25th-28th range, but this is purely speculation. Who knows what the season has in store.

S75 SEA 1st

Seattle is currently in 5th place, so they would be looking at a pick in the 11th overall range, assuming their playoff standing matched their current regular season standings. However, Seattle has been on fire recently and could certainly go on another long cup run. I am expecting this pick to be anywhere from 11th to 16th overall.

Willie Dredge - S68 - 574 TPA

I did not list Dredge’s TPE, because it is ultimately irrelevant as he is an inactive. This part of the trade is a cap dump on Calgary’s part, as Dredge currently makes 4.5 million per year for this season and the next. Like I mentioned earlier, Dredge is a better player than Arthur Dayne this season. However, Dayne’s TPE earning this season combined with Dredge’s depreciation at season’s end makes Arthur Dayne a much better option.

Latrell Mitchell - S72 - 678 TPE

Latrell Mitchell is the highest TPE player involved in the trade, as well as the most valuable. He is the highest earner of the three active players involved by a wide margin, usually capping his TPE every week. Mitchell will be a significant upgrade for Warsaw at defense, replacing Alex Bridges as their best defenseman. Latrell Mitchell is currently on the last year of his contract, but given his close relationship with the general manager I suspect he will sign long term.

Review

RIP to anyone who had Alex Bridges as part of their fantasy draft (including me). Can't wait for that fantasy pick to turn into a bust real quick. It's a good trade on Warsaws part if they can keep the pieces there and make a good selection with the 1st they got. Considering how deep the selections have been, it's possible to get an all-star player from the 11th to 16th pick range. Gotta give it to Warsaw for this one, unless Calgary gets a future HoF with the WAR 1st. It was a little hard to understand what pieces went where at first glance. It would have been better with the use of team emoji's/banners to clearly lay out who went where. It also would have been nice to list each piece from top to bottom in terms of their respective values in the trade. 

7/10 Warsaw wins this trade (watch this age well)

Edited by Plate

26 minutes ago, Plate said:

Review

RIP to anyone who had Alex Bridges as part of their fantasy draft (including me). Can't wait for that fantasy pick to turn into a bust real quick. It's a good trade on Warsaws part if they can keep the pieces there and make a good selection with the 1st they got. Considering how deep the selections have been, it's possible to get an all-star player from the 11th to 16th pick range. Gotta give it to Warsaw for this one, unless Calgary gets a future HoF with the WAR 1st. It was a little hard to understand what pieces went where at first glance. It would have been better with the use of team emoji's/banners to clearly lay out who went where. It also would have been nice to list each piece from top to bottom in terms of their respective values in the trade. 

7/10 Warsaw wins this trade (watch this age well)

The real losers in this trade were anyone who picked Bridges in fantasy lol