Couple of Small notices

Beketov

As a newcomer to this league I find the auto-posting of the scores in our team Discord extremely practical and accessible. Personally for me, most of the time the sims happen while I am work... so I will quickly check my phone every couple hours at work... and it's nice because I just need to check and see if there's anything new posted under the scores section of our Discord. And once the sims are posted I will throw a message in our locker room regarding the results. Now it's going to take a little more navigation for me to see the information I'm looking for and I'm not even really supposed to be on my phone while working to begin with, so to me that is a little inconvenient. 

That being said,  I get my case is situational, but the point that it's making things a little less accessible is still valid. But I do realize this is going to be a trial for the playoffs and there's nothing wrong with testing the waters on some things and seeing how they play out. I get that the endgame is to get more activity on the forums and that's a solid goal that I think most members would be all for. Also I know being new I probably shouldn't get too opinionated, but this is just my two cents on the matter, just trying to be active and contribute.

Edited by fromtheinside

• Commissioner

I’m seeing “forced” being thrown around a lot, I want to make it perfectly clear that we aren’t forcing anything. I’m also seeing “game thread activity” being tossed around as if that’s the only important aspect.

We aren’t saying “screw your conveniences, I want it my old way!” We’re just seeing what happens to get a better sense of what people like. I’ve said already in here that there is a mindset of “people prefer X over Y” when they have never experienced Y. You can’t get an accurate picture of what anyone actually prefers by only offering them a single option. We’re not just gonna throw the bot under the bus and say “yup, problem solved.” This is is up to page 6 now because it is a discussion on the matter, that’s the point. Many good things have come up from it and there’s a lot for us to look at.

Never was it remotely designed as just a 1 stop shop but rather a test to see what kind of opinions and ideas can come forth. Just the fact that I’ve seen and interacted with names in here that I have NEVER seen on discord, purely because of time zone differences, proves that there is a bit of validity. Hell, this comment alone is in part inspired by @GustavMattias’s comment from 8 hours ago. There’s no way that ever would have happened on discord because it has flaws, that’s the message I’m trying to get across. Both sides have their uses and should be used in conjunction more than they have.

1 hour ago, fromtheinside said:

Also I know being new I probably shouldn't get too opinionated, but this is just my two cents on the matter, just trying to be active and contribute.

I also wanted to touch on this quickly because I’m not sure who has started to instil this mindset in new guys but I’ve seen it a few times. The exact OPPOSITE is true. We don’t want to see new guys hiding away and never voicing any opinions. There are definitely going to be times where it happens and we end up explaining that we have tried what you are suggesting before and know it won’t work for reasons X, Y, and Z but that doesn’t mean we don’t appreciate he opinion. We need opinions from new guys as much as anyone else, if not more. Anyone can get used to something and start rolling with it. The new guys who are confused by something set the standard, the bar for how accessible the league needs to be and how it can improve.

I don’t know if I’ve ever spoken to you before, because of the aforementioned lack of opinions or fragmentation or other otherwise, but I’m glad that I can in here because that’s what the forum is for, the community.

This isn’t an attack on discord. It’s a test to see how far one way we have been pushed and see if people can understand the need for balance. Having only the forum wasn’t perfect and is not a solution I would want to bring back because there were a lot of conveniences lacking. I’m the same vein having only discord is not perfect because it simply can’t house things long term the way it needs to and community cannot flourish while being separated.

16 hours ago, Victor said:

My minor pitch: leave separate game threads as is but put a daily post with links in the index thread so you can have the choice to comment broadly or on specific threads.

That was always what I envisioned for the single recap, I guess I might not have been clear enough when I pitched it

11 minutes ago, Mr_Hatter said:

That was always what I envisioned for the single recap, I guess I might not have been clear enough when I pitched it

Something comme ca?

• Commissioner
5 minutes ago, bigAL said:

Something comme ca?

Ideally something that could be automated but I think it looks pretty solid yeah.

5 hours ago, bigAL said:

Something comme ca?

To an extent. Like Bek said, it needs to be able to be automated. Whats more likely is that it would just be the links to the games, and maybe the schedule/scores, and the standings (maybe even stats leaders or something, but thats less likely)

But I think even just having one centralized threads for all the games would be good enough 

This feels like a terrible way to solve a non-issue - or worse, an issue that existed prior to the thing getting removed. Feels like a giant leap backwards for modernization in sim leagues.

Forcing people to do a thing that nobody cared to do before isn't going to go well. This removes user agency, and doesn't enhance it. You took away an accessible, practical solution and have replaced it with...nothing.

There are already plenty of reasons to come to the forum and stay here - there doesn't need to be a reason tucked into every aspect of the league. 

To some things I've seen in this thread - one big thread for games would help massively. I'm not clicking into a thread for a single game, period. Though, that doesn't solve this leap backwards.

• Commissioner
33 minutes ago, emidas said:

This feels like a terrible way to solve a non-issue - or worse, an issue that existed prior to the thing getting removed. Feels like a giant leap backwards for modernization in sim leagues.

Forcing people to do a thing that nobody cared to do before isn't going to go well. This removes user agency, and doesn't enhance it. You took away an accessible, practical solution and have replaced it with...nothing.

There are already plenty of reasons to come to the forum and stay here - there doesn't need to be a reason tucked into every aspect of the league. 

To some things I've seen in this thread - one big thread for games would help massively. I'm not clicking into a thread for a single game, period. Though, that doesn't solve this leap backwards.

We’ll see how it goes. I’m not looking at it as an end goal but as an experiment. Like you said, there’s some good stuff to come out of this discussion that frankly wouldn’t come up if we didn’t, in a way, force it to occur. I don’t think this is a fix for anything, I just think it’ll be interesting to see what can come from it.

This isn’t some kind of war on convenience or anything, just hopefully a way to bring people out of their bubbles a little bit. I get the convenience aspect but am hoping to find a way to have that without the bonus of community fragmentation.