Which team improved the most this offseason?

fyrefly

It's been an eventful offseason for the NHL, and technically it won't be over for a while. Guys like Hoffman and Granlund, highly-touted free agents, have not been signed. The economic decline has made contracts much harder than they used to be, so negotiating them became harder as well. 

My most improved team: Colorado Avalanche

They didn't make the most acquisitions, but getting Saad, a Cup winner and help for the offensive depth while only giving up the unneeded Zadorov, and getting Toews, who was a beast for the Isles in the playoffs, for only two second rounders. They improved their team dramatically. 

My least improved team: Vancouver Canucks

Watching the Flames slowly steal all their players(Markstrom, Tanev, Leivo) must have been excruciating, considering they made it decently far in the playoffs. They got Holtby, but goaltending wasn't the issue last season. They got nobody to replace Tanev yet, unless Brogan Rafferty becomes a Calder threat. Overall, I think they lost big time

My confusing offseason: Ottawa Senators and Chicago Blackhawks

Really, Ottawa? Dadonov and Galchenyuk? I'm starting to question the acquisition of these quality players, since the sens are very much still in full fledged rebuild mode. My best guess is that Dorion wants to get more fans to the arena to get excited about their new prospects.

Chicago really doesn't have any direction right now. Are they a contender? Not really, since they aren't yet good enough. Are they a rebuilder? Well, they technically finished that when they drafted Boqvist and Dach. So where are they? Probably evaluating how good this year's team is and moving on from there.

This is my take. I'm interested to see what everyone else thinks. 

2 minutes ago, fyrefly said:

Watching the Flames slowly steal all their players(Markstrom, Tanev, Leivo) must have been excruciating, considering they made it decently far in the playoffs

Proud Of You Yes GIF

1 hour ago, Jtv123 said:

The habs thank you and good bye

Fr tho,

Out:Domi,Hudon,Kinkaid

In:Anderson, Toffoli, edmunston and Allen

this team needed more secondary scoring and another Defenceman that can munch top 4 minutes. If Suzuki and Kotkaniemi are the real deal then this team is a cup favourite if price stays healthy. (Lots of variables)

Marc Bergevin may have just saved his job if the anderson contract pays off and they make a push 

1 hour ago, Dil said:

Nate Schmidt is an upgrade 

Agreed. Markstrom is prob better then Holtby at this point, but Demko has the potential to be the best of the 3, but also the worst....

8 hours ago, Jayrad28 said:

Agreed. Markstrom is prob better then Holtby at this point, but Demko has the potential to be the best of the 3, but also the worst....

Demko played average in the regular season before turning it on for three games in the playoffs? There’s a reason they signed Holtby, in case Demko flops

13 hours ago, fyrefly said:

since the sens are very much still in full fledged rebuild mode

I'd argue that they're starting to turn the corner. Tearing the team down to the studs is the easy part, building it back up is the hard part and where they are now. Matt Murray shores things up in net. Galch is a good low-risk bet that could turn into a pick at the trade deadline. Dadonov adds that top line scoring power that just wasn't there in seasons past. Those guys give some breathing room to the Brady Tkachuk, Josh Norris, Connor Brown, Chris Tierney , hoping they feast on the lesser competitions and grow as players. The blueline is pretty decent with Chabot, Wolo, Josh Brown, maybe Brannstrom adding some youth and speed, then Gudbranson and Zaitsev and Reilly giving the veteran crash bang boom. I think they're going to keep improving year after year. If there's an All-Canadian they're easily the worst team there, but progress is important.

15 hours ago, fyrefly said:

My confusing offseason: Ottawa Senators

Really, Ottawa? Dadonov and Galchenyuk? I'm starting to question the acquisition of these quality players, since the sens are very much still in full fledged rebuild mode. My best guess is that Dorion wants to get more fans to the arena to get excited about their new prospects.

I don't get why Dadonov would be a confusing acquisition? A great goal scorer for the weak Sens offense is fantastic and arguably the best winger on the market. Galchenyuk at a low risk/high reward one-year deal seems great for me. He'll likely be gone after the next season. 

The argument that seems most popular is that these signings take away spots from the prospects, but it's nice to have some proven NHL talent as well.

i think as hard as it was to watch Markstrom, Tanev and Toffoli walk away, it will be better next year. This year was keeping under the cap and as much as Markstrom was a god, Demko is younger and could be better? (see Fleury and Murray). He was 30 and wanted a long term NMC contract and the Canucks could not offer him that as he wasn't part of the core age group sadly. Tanev too who was great during his almost 10 years, he was very injury prone and couldn't come to terms he wanted so he walked. I am sure that if benning didnt have a boner for 3/4 liners at 3 mill NMC that Tanev would still be here but that isn't the case. Holtby is solid insurance for Demko while he can be taken by Seattle if need be next season as well. Schmidt is an upgrade overall on Tanev. Virtanen if he could ever figure it out can be Toffoli but he can actually hit. So while every canuck fan thinks the sky is falling, I think it'll be more of the same as we move into Quinn Hughes and Elias Pettersson getting their big boy contracts. 

Edited by TheLastOlympian07
next year meaning not the upcoming season but the season after