James Rose has been around enough to understand how many lessons it took

mattyIceman

The following interview featuring James Rose highlights lessons learned from his rookie and sophomore seasons:

Yeah, it's already been two seasons here.  The team has evolved so much since the beginning.  We're on the way up now and boy I'm just as excited as both seasons finished, looking forward to the next one already.  The first season, we were only three actives with three solid prospects.  It was myself, Jones and Trivium doing the best we can.  Next season, we had a pretty big influx of guys like Ryan Schwarz and Julian Nousiainen, with Krestanovich, Volchenkov and Friedriksen coming up for their rookie seasons.  I was still the only active defenseman for the second straight season and I had been named team captain.  I'm telling you it's such an honor to be the first franchise captain for the United.

I haven't even talked about my time in the VHLM.  My rookie season in s71 with Mexico we were at the bottom, and my s72 season split between Halifax and Houston, we were at the bottom.

We finished at the bottom in both seasons, but I've always finished at the bottom where I've played, even at the World Juniors.  s72 with Asia as a leftover pick, at the bottom.  s73 with a pretty stacked roster, at the bottom again, no knockout round success either.

I'VE NEVER PLAYED A PLAYOFF GAME

As the captain here it's taken it's toll on me, no matter how hard we brought it we fell short most nights, even big let-downs in front of the fans.

If there's one thing I've learned after all the heartbreak, it's just to KEEP.  GOING.

This offseason has been generous to the United, we got some star players like Erik Killinger, Hugh Jass and Chad Magnum over here now, so things are looking up.  Even Kasper Kankkunen and Kevin Malone are here too and we're all in this season, and it will just be the beginning.  I have the privilege now of captaining the team to a Cup when things finally go our way.  I've learned to be more involved with the teams' day-to-day activity and the sentiment I get is that I'm really helping build this team.  I've learned that things turn around because things are always in flux, things always change.  I've learned to be a mentor with newer players too, that's been fun for me especially, just being active and around went a long way.

The seeds were planted and now they're sprouting.

Now it's time to learn how to win.  Just keep going...