Everyone loves a Mock Draft

The Season 75 VHL Entry Draft is slated to go today on November 9th, 2020. 2020 has been quite the year for the VHL, Seattle established themselves as a dynasty, the VHL expanded to 16 teams. Other than Seattle being good, I'd say everything is awesome right now in the VHL (just bugging bana). However, here is a 1st Round mock draft of the Season 75 VHL Entry Draft.

1st Overall Pick - Los Angeles Stars - C Pistil Stamen 269 TPE @DMaximus

The Los Angeles Stars need help everywhere but goalie. With the highly anticipated prospect Taro Tsjimoto having ties to a later team in this draft, L wanting to be drafted with brother D, so he isn't an option because LA doesn't have another 1st round pick, I assume the Stars will go with plan C. Obviously, I mean that in the best way possible because Stamen is a great prospect in his own right. He comes in with 269 TPE and is well rounded right now. His scoring touch and defense skills are VHL ready right now. What may need some time is his Skating and Puck-Handling skills. In 92 career VHLM games, Stamen has scored 91 points which means he is ready to move up to the show. Stamen will slide in nicely as the 3rd center for now but it won't be long before he moves up to take Richard Penisson's spot. 

2nd Overall Pick - Toronto Legion - D Jolly Greene Giant 250 TPE @DoktorFunk

The Toronto Legion just traded away some of the better players which happens to be Erik Killinger. I believe he is a defenseman so looking at the roster, I would say replacing him with some high end talent is what they want to do right away. Seeing L on the board still is intriguing for the Legion but with their next pick at 13th Overall, it is hard to see the Legion being able to swing a trade for an earlier selection to be able to select R. With that being said, I can see the Legion taking Jolly Greene Giant 2nd overall. It is no different than the United if they had this pick. Giant is a well rounded defenseman with solid scoring and defense abilities. His Skating is average for the VHL level but his strength is above average. He should fit in well on the Legion defense coming in as the 6th defenseman technically but it wouldn't surprise me if the Legion made more moves to free up playing time for Giant.

3rd Overall Pick - HC Davos Dynamo - G Artem Tretiak 238 TPE @Molholt

The Dynamo are in an interesting position, they have some older players especially on the wings but is 3rd overall to early to reach for a winger? Defense and goalies remain on the board that are more likely to pan out than the wingers on board. That is not a knock on the wingers on the board in RJ Thatcher and Joe Kelly but I think Davos may go in the way of a goalie since Joakim Bruden is getting a little older and he practices well, but he doesn't cap out like others. Tretiak caps out every week and he has so much potential since his agent is the legendary Mike Molholt, who GM'd the threepeat in the VHL, first and only of it's kind.

4th Overall Pick - Chicago Phoenix - D L 291 TPE @gorlab

Gorlab's hard on for kyl tanked his stock a little bit as he went from being 1st overall to 4th overall. Which is not bad for the Chicago Phoenix as they couldn't be happier. L steps right in to lineup and he would be the 3rd best defenseman on the roster right away as of the draft. That speaks a lot for L's talents and the lack there of on Chicago. Chicago just traded for Jeff Downey to shore up the defense line as well so Downey would be a great mentor for L in his first season.

5th Overall Pick - New York Americans - D Ove Dyrdahl 232 TPE @GRZ

The Americans have some young centers coming up this season so they seem to be set down the middle for the time being, unless those youngster don't pan out. However, with only 2 defenseman on the roster, I see them kind of reaching for Ove here. He is not bad by any means but the wingers above him could possibly be better. The Americans need defenseman though and Ove is a good one in his own right. Ove is a stay at home defender first and foremost, that may not sit right with the Americans but I think he would fit well with Markus Schauer who is offensive. They could be a Erik Karlsson - Marc Methot type pairing. Ove would step in and be the 3rd defenseman right away and wouldn't be to ofar off pasing Wolf Stenssen as the 2nd best defenseman.

6th Overall Pick - Chicago Phoenix - D R 213 TPE @Kylrad

Here we have the 2nd part of the defense pairing in R who L demands be drafted with him or else he would not play for the franchise. Chicago is the only team this early in the draft to have picks back close together to pull this off. R at 6th overall could be good if he pans out but will he ever live up to his billing as a top 6 pick? Probably not. That is the risk Chicago will have to take though since they want L and he is a 1st round talent. I hope R proves everyone wrong though and proves he is just as talented as his brother though. Chicago would have a nice pairing for years on the backend if that happens.

7th Overall Pick - Riga Reign - C It's Gucci - 218 TPE - @frescoelmo

This may seem like a reach but when you have needs, you need to fill it. Riga has 1 C on the roster and he will be entering his 6th season. So in this draft class, Gucci is the next best center after Stamen. Gucci and his agency have been hot and cold in recent times but if you remember, Tarik Saejis is a Riga Legend and he was brought to you by fresco. Maybe a return trip to Riga will reinvigorate fresco and make Gucci a very serviceable player for Riga. He would be the 2nd line center by default. I think this would be a good draft pick for Riga despite the reach as some may perceive it to be. Riga is playing with house money though as they have 3 draft picks in the 1st round.

8th Overall Pick - Riga Reign - RW RJ Thatcher - 246 TPE - @jhatty8

With back to back picks at 7 and 8, Riga would feel needs up front while hoping youngster Matt Thunder becomes a serviceable defender as he has been in the minors for the past few seasons. He seems to be making progress leaving the Reign to fill their needs up front. Thatcher would fit in well on the right side along side Gucci on the 2nd line. I think GM Zeptenbergs has a good relationship from the SBA with agent Jhatty, so he would be able to keep him active. Getting Thatcher this late in the 1st round is great for Riga and they should be giddy with anticipation for Thatcher.

9th Overall Pick - HC Davos Dynamo - C Taro Tsujimoto - 301 TPE - @GustavMattias

GM Selection

10th Overall Pick - Riga Reign - G Sirkants Klamsteris - 253 TPE - @hedgehog337

GM Selection

11th Overall Pick - Warsaw Predators - D Muffbeav - 263 TPE - @.sniffuM

GM Selection

12th Overall Pick - Vancouver Wolves - LW Cabe McJake - 233 TPE - @RedSus

GM Beaviss loves him some first generation players and RedSus would be barking up the right tree if he wanted to go to the defending VHL Champions in Vancouver. Vancouver has always had good luck with 1st Gen players so take McJake here would be a match made in heaven for both. Nothing better than being a player joining a cup contending team right away while also stepping onto a team that needs Left Wingers as they're none on the current roster. However, it would still require a lot of work for Cabe to earn that spot on the top line but the potential is there for the yongster and Vancouver has a ton of veterans willing help out McJake.

13th Overall Pick - Toronto Legion - LW Joe Kelly - 243 TPE - @emidas

I originally had Kelly going 9th to Davos to join his running mate Molholt but then I remembered GM's have to use their 1st round picks on their own players which I think is dumb. Either have the in the draft and they can go anywhere or just give them to their teams without picks. That is neither here nor there. Toronto gets an absolute steal to add to their forward group, while the need may be on the backend, the possibility of adding a forward of Kelly's caliber is too much to pass up. Doesn't that sound like another Toronto hockey team?

14th Overall Pick - Vancouver Wolves - D Shawn Andrei Zyuzin - 206 TPE - @me

I could be too high on myself here but I think I am the best defender left, and Vancouver could use a defender to step in after trading Jeff Downey to Chicago. I am not knocking other defenders left but I have earned at a higher rate and have almost caught them in TPE despite their headstart and because of the blues unwillingness to have me add my carryover TPE I have earned. I would be at 246 TPE at the time of writing but it is what it is. VHL commies gonna be anal about stupid things but let other things slide. 

15th Overall Pick - Helsinki Titans - LW Addison McLaren - 226 TPE - @tcookie25

To finish off the 1st round with an actual draft pick and not a GM pick, we have McLaren a winger who helped the Miami team win the championship after barely squeaking into the playoffs. I think McLaren is a fine winger and would fit in nicely in the future but will most likely spend a season in the minors.

16th Overall Pick - Moscow Menace - G Rara Rasputin - 238 TPE - @Victor

GM Selection