S75 VHLM Rule Changes

Acydburn

I think it's a fine idea. When teams fill up like they are now it's really hard to pump out an expansion team that fast, this adds a stop-gap to keep people around. Be on alert for the CHIHUAHA ROYALS (tentative name)!

• Commissioner
6 hours ago, Banackock said:

Yes, I know. Bana was saying instead of 12, make it 4 and have each division feed their players into 1 team. Do you have a concern that once this opens up, some teams will have some players and others won't have many?

Like I said, gotta see how you guys role it out. Curious. Will need tweaking. Good luck, Acyd. You da man, man.

The ease of it comes from using the STHS farm system, IE when a pro game is Simmed the equivalent farm game is simmed. This means not needing an extra simmer, more GM’s, etc. Unfortunately every team needs to have a farm team, you can’t just say there are 12 pro teams and 4 farm teams. It’s best to think of it not like another league or like an expansion but just overflow.

I also should have pushed for this next season when I could have thrown the work of making all the bots and stuff at @Devise like usual haha. Gonna be a lot of setup for me this year.

• Commissioner
6 hours ago, Viperxhawks19 said:

How will it look on the player page?

In all likelihood we won’t save juniors as a full “league” on the portal unless it becomes something that’s relatively full every season. So chances are stats from it will appear on player pages but that’s it for a portal presence.

2 hours ago, Berocka said:

I believe that this is a great time for Australian expansion don't you think @BOOM™and @dasboot

Melbourne Magpies

Sydney Shitheads 

Broome Bogans

... I can keep going

Brisbane BorderGuards

Melbourne Superspreaders

Canberra Fuckwits.... 

You're right, the opportunities are endless. 

• Commissioner
1 hour ago, DangerGolding said:

I don't really see the benefit of using the farm league system rather than just expanding the VHLM with another team or two.

Expansion requires consistent filling. Let’s say you add 2 teams, that’s 40 roster spots. At the end of a good recruiting season we could likely have 40 extra spots filled but what if it’s a bad recruiting season? Or he’ll what if a lot of guys just graduated to the VHL? Expansion opens up the major possibility, as it always has, to end up with teams running next to no players because they are permanently present and need players.

Using the farm system as an overflow doesn’t have that problem. When it isn’t needed we can just not post the games from it but when it is needed it’s there.

• Commissioner
1 minute ago, Hooperorama said:

This.

See above.

Also this isn’t a guaranteed replacement for future expansion. It’s simply a gap measure to ensure that if we end up in a situation where expansion does make the most sense we have time to implement it without teams all being full.

I bet we could get some team names and logos if we held a contest or something....even if they don't have a presence on the portal, it gives the league something unique to do....I have a few ideas myself

MONTREAL VOYAGEURS

• Commissioner
Just now, Ledge_and_Dairy said:

I bet we could get some team names and logos if we held a contest or something....even if they don't have a presence on the portal, it gives the league something unique to do....I have a few ideas myself

MONTREAL VOYAGEURS

12 teams in the time required wouldnt happen, certainly not to the quality we’d want. Personally I like them keeping the identity of the M team that owns them in case someone signs for that identity but we might try to expand the Junior “brands” over time.

Also Montreal is a major hockey city, I’d expect it will someday be a VHL team, VHLM at least. I can’t see us using it on a Junior team.

I dunno. I feel like the juniors would be kinda empty. Not in just active players, but it will be pretty void of excitement as it's just you doing things against bots and maybe the occasional other player. Would it be very fun and engaging for a new guy? You sign with a team and then are immediately separated from them? The league also won't have brands, history, history being made, or an identity. That doesn't really sound like something I would want to see my player in.

Not sure if this is a thing in hockey, it is in american football, but what about practice squads? GMs can easily swap them into sims and we don't have to do the intriguing, albeit probably meaningless process of a whole league for a small number of users. This would also keep users engaged with their team and their teammates.

This is just my thoughts. I imagine someone will say that the juniors league is just this but the idle players can see themselves get stats. But is it really that important?

Damn that's cool. I love the idea. I like the flexibility it gives you to give the players in the boom years somewhere to go and games to play, while not upsetting the league and having to undo decisions in the bust years. I really like the idea of "activating" the juniors when we meet a certain threshold. This is better than the practice squad idea because these players actually get to play games, check their stats, and see some (probably really good) results.

If the goal is to have this as a full-time functioning league, maybe up the M cap to 300 or 350 so that draft picks stay just that little bit longer in the M, creating a little backlog of players who can play in junior.

Love it, good creative thinking to a tricky problem that kinda came out of nowhere. Commish Acyd making his MARK on this league!

On 11/9/2020 at 11:52 PM, Banackock said:

Delaware Ice Hogs

Victoria Orcas

Santa Barba Barracudas

Gatineau Blizzard

stop that season 7 GIF

Buffalo Battalion/ Blizzard

edit:

Boston Revolution

Portland Pirates  (Existing team, sounds cool)

Seattle Cascades (Located near the Cascade mountains)

Vancouver Archipelago (Islands)

Copenhagen Wheelers (cuz of cycling)

Paris Triomphe (arc de triomphe)

Stockholm Spark (no reason)

Athens Olympians (Dont lie You know)

Rome Gladiators (Coliseum)

Tokyo Titans (VHL could use some further border expansion)

Edited by GrittyIsKing09

I like the thought behind this.

How is the inactivity date determined? Week ending of Last TPE update? Actual date of last TPE update? Last forum login? Last forum post? Last Discord message in a Locker Room? Last Discord message in a private message?

It might help to use an example, say my player updates TPE on Monday 11/9 (week ending 11/15). What is his inactivity date? When do I have to drop him off my roster by?

• Commissioner
2 hours ago, jhatty8 said:

Not sure if this is a thing in hockey, it is in american football, but what about practice squads? GMs can easily swap them into sims and we don't have to do the intriguing, albeit probably meaningless process of a whole league for a small number of users. This would also keep users engaged with their team and their teammates.

Because it’s using the farm system in STHS which GM’s have control over they can actually swap them around easily. The rules will obviously need to exist to make sure that this doesn’t get abused but it’s not a whole other league really.

Its also possible it won’t even be necessary at which case we won’t see any games from it at all, which is fine. Like I said before, it’s more of an overflow than it is another league. Players will still be engaged by the VHLM GM’s and such and still be a part of the team they sign with but it opens up a lot more roster space.

5 hours ago, DMaximus said:

I like the thought behind this.

How is the inactivity date determined? Week ending of Last TPE update? Actual date of last TPE update? Last forum login? Last forum post? Last Discord message in a Locker Room? Last Discord message in a private message?

It might help to use an example, say my player updates TPE on Monday 11/9 (week ending 11/15). What is his inactivity date? When do I have to drop him off my roster by?

If they do either updating or appear on the forum in that time, it'll count. Wanted to keep guys like Stevo counting as active