Kasper Kankkunen | Rookie Experience

lil OG z

➡️ Rookie Experience :vhllogo:

⬇️

Drafted with the 3rd of 3 1st round picks and selected 12th overall in the S74 entry draft by the London United

➡️ Kasper Kankkunen :ldn:

➡️ Preparing for my VHL rookie season

⬇️

After being selected as a 1st round pick, I knew I had to continue grinding if I wanted to continue being a high ranked prospect and help London rise to the top of the standings. In my junior review I thought I'd go in the 2nd or 3rd round, didn't think I had it in me to consistently earn but I couldn't be more happier with how things turned out attribute-wise and how many points my player would rack up in Las Vegas so my focus definitely shifted from trying to become a decent defender to training my hardest so I can get my name up there with the leagues best goalscoring defenceman. 

I could have started my career sooner but I knew it'd be a rough transition playing on a new team right after finally feeling comfortable in an Ace uniform, a lot of prospects were called up so I knew I'd have a greater chance at winning the rookie of the year with a possible monster season to add to my career history and statistics. Little did I know there was a lot I still needed to learn before advancing my career, and winning such a prestigious award but thanks to the combined ability of our excellent coaching and superb managing I continued where I left off last season, almost like a bookmark, leaving plenty of room to get some rest and learn new schemes I'll probably see whenever the United call me up.

Although I was thrilled to experience life as a rookie I quickly realized the season was going to be harder than I thought as hames went by with a league crowded with new faces, unpredictable shooters and a half a roster of freshly drafted players but the mission the same for me and the whole organization/fanbase had the same expectations, win the cup. As days go by and the calendar flipped through the months aour team started rolling, continued rolling until we spun out in the conference finals the second year in a row. Maybe it was my lack of awareness during key moments during important plays and excitement imagining myself in a London United Jersey but our whole team ended up stepping up, making contributions in every zone which definitely made it easier to leave a family of teammates that could take care of the cattle by themselves and still cheer me on.. Even if I was deked around several times for game deciding breakaways 

➡️ Expectations during VHL rookie season

⬇️ 

Now that I've switched lanes mentally, I know the next few seasons are going to be a lot more different than my experience in the VHLM, I'm going from big fish to baby algae, time to sit back and watch how the veteran's do it.. At least now I knew I have to adjust to the changed environment and solidify a game plan before expecting be a person who lights the red light and electrify the audience. Obviously goals are on my mind and I think since our defense is going to be very strong next season so I expect to collect at least 40-50 points plus net over 10 goals. Before I only wanted to shoot but if we want to win as a newer team I need to do my part and work on threading the needle too, hopefully I at least keep up with the rest of the league until I become a threat a few seasons down the road. 

497c676a33db42baaee80c1c37e6ca3b.jpg.web

558 words