Rara Rasputin Rookie Rexperience

Victor

• Admin

An interview with Rara Rasputin

image.png

From leaving Miami as a local hero to coming back to Moscow as a relative unknown, and a symbol of the inevitable – the imminent retirement of the Menace's now legendary goaltender Raymond Bernard. That is the situation that Rara Rasputin finds himself in going into his first season in the VHL – S75. It may not actually end up counting as his rookie season, if, as is custom, Moscow management only use him for the required eight regular season games for a backup, letting Bernard play the rest. But rumours swirling around the Russian capital are that Rasputin will start at least one of the season opening games against rivals Riga, so we sat down with the man who might be the centre of attention in less than 24 hours' time.

Interviewer: You probably heard the rumours going around that the coach is going to test you straight off the bat in game 1 of the season. How are you feeling?

Rasputin: *chuckling* Yeah, it's a strange one, I guess it's the mysterious working of the schedule which put us against a team that management think I could beat straight off the bat. I think the Reign guys would have heard it too and they'll be extra motivated – no one is giving them a chance this season but this is an organisation with over a decade of playoff hockey, they know what they're doing, so I'm expecting a huge challenge from the start.

I guess going into a season you know you'll be a backup is tough but this should help with motivation then?

Definitely – I've watched many Moscow games since we got the franchise here in S65 and like all fans I know Riga is the big rival – how many times did we meet in the playoffs? 5? 6? Huge series, big consequences each time. And the Reign fans of course have a chip in their shoulder about beating the Russians so absolutely, I won't struggle preparing myself mentally for this one.

Looking ahead though, it may be a tough season. The coaches have made it clear that Bernard will start his 64 games so I will be on the bench a lot. It's for the team's good of course, who am I to complain if we win a cup? But I'll just have to make the most of time with him in training so I can absorb some knowledge and take it into the season after.

Provided everything goes to plan and you take over as starter in S76 – in your head, is that the start of your career really then?

In a way, yes, but I don't really look at it like that. My career started last year, a great season with the boys in Miami, a wonderful finish. And this season, if something happens, god forbid, to Bernard, I'll need to step up. So I can't be thinking of the future, I need to be present in the now and do what's best for the team.

That is a great attitude Rara, I think this will ease a lot of fans' fears about the future of Moscow! Thanks for your time and good luck this season.

Thank you, I think I'll need it!