Lenny Sanderson Scouting Report

Gally

Mere hours after Lenny Sanderson, the very first Antarctic hockey player, signed with the Saskatoon Wild of the VHLM, a detailed scouting report of his pros and cons was discovered. Written by this random and somewhat disturbingly devoted fanboy of Sanderson, a fellow who goes by Gally, it actually shows surprising detail and research. Here it is:

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Lenny Sanderson Scouting Report

Position: Left wing

Birthplace: Antarctica

Date of Birth: Is that really necessary?

Pros

Scoring

It appears Sanderson put his abundant free time on Antarctica in, because his shot is a cannon. It's one of the main things he worked on down there, and it showed when he blitzed the USHL last season. 

Defensive play

Can we really call this a pro? In the USHL, all Sanderson needed was goals, so that's really all he did. His coaches were always nagging him about being reliable in the D zone, but usually he just played his game. Since then, after working with some other training coaches, his defensive play has come along, and he is at the very least the VHLM average, which I guess is good enough for his rookie season.

Dedication

"This kid will stop at nothing to achieve his goals; anyone who gets in his way is in for a not-so-pleasant surprise". That is a quote from one of his assistant coaches in Sioux City, whom I grilled for half an hour after a game. Sanderson has laser focus, and because he got used to having no distractions in Antarctica, he just ignores all of them here. For example, I was standing at the boards for one of his practices, and he was standing in line right in front of me. So I banged on the glass and hollered as loud as I could, but Lenny didn't even give me a glance. Sure, the coach came over and kicked me out of the rink. But it was worth knowing about this kid's dedication.

Cons

Communication

Sanderson was pretty isolated on Antarctica. He didn't have any physical friends, and he didn't really talk to anybody except his family. Because of this, he sometimes has trouble communicating on the ice. When I watch one of his games, his teammates are all yelling and calling for the puck and telling each other what to do, and there's Lenny, who just stays silent and plays his game. It has resulted in a couple embarrassing miscommunications, and his coaches are encouraging him to improve it.

Puck handling

Some would say that Lenny has hands of stone. I don't say that. I just say that he probably should have worked on his puck handling more during all his training. He can barely stickhandle, and he speeds up the ice with one hand on his stick, without stickhandling. He is often helpless in tight spaces, and it is his primary area of work.

Routine

This is a weird con to have, but it does definitely apply to Sanderson. He is used to the freezing, boring world of living on Antarctica. Now he is forced to adapt to the warm, sunny Saskatoon winter(lmao). Compared to Antarctica, the weather is very nice, and he is in a massive city with tons and tons of strangers. It will take some getting used to, but I think he will manage.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

In my honest opinion, it is a decent article. I didn't expect as much, as I have had some run-ins with this 'Gally' character, and he is quirky and odd, to put it kindly. But he writes well, and it looks like he chose a promising prospect to follow.