VHLM Week 2 Power Rankings

fromtheinside

After the long awaited off-season finally wrapped up, we finally were able to drop the puck and sink our teeth into some VHLM action. With the first week of games in the books, it's time to check out how our VHLM faired in the past 7 days. Though there have been a couple of surprises, most of the teams have performed close to how I thought they would. One thing is certain, this season is going to be a dogfight right to the end. Thanks to the recruitment drive last season and the subsequent megadraft that followed, this season  the VHLM is rich with talent and the end result is a season that has a ton of parity and competitiveness. There will most definitely be some intense playoff races at the end of the year. As far as these Power Rankings go, I'd go as far to say that the 4-10 place teams could all be interchangeable by the end of the year. With that being said, let's dive into it!

Z2OAMbs.png
Last Week: 1  |  This Week: 1  Category:Left and right arrow symbols - Wikimedia Commons

THEY WERE WHO WE THOUGHT THEY WERE! While this may be a famous football quote, it sure does apply here. The Reapers have been living up to their name thus far, absolutely destroying most of their competition. Sporting a 10-2-1 record, Philly has started Season 75 white-hot. Led by their top line of @tcookie25Addison McLaren, @Gaikoku-hitoRobert Bouchard and @dariusmarimotomanDarius Marimoto, the team has outclassed most of the field. With their aforementioned first line all among the top 10 in league scoring, the Reapers also are at the top of the league in goal differential with a sparkling +29.  Not be outshined by his teammates, defenseman @RomanesEuntDomus Robin Galante Nilsson has proven to be another major piece for Philly chipping in a goal and 17 assists, good for second in the league for defensemen scoring. Nilsson seems to be on track to be a big time TPE earner as well and could be someone to keep your eye on come draft time. In between the pipes @jacobcarson877Jacob Carson has been serviceable sporting a 2.98 GAA but his .879 save percentage is definitely a number he will look to improve upon as the season progresses.  For now. it seems like Philadelphia is the team to beat this season. They boast a great team across the board and I don't see them falling down this Ranking any time soon.

jUj2ojh.png

Last Week: 2 | This Week: 2 Category:Left and right arrow symbols - Wikimedia Commons

After a little bit of a slow start, Mexico City heated up during the latter half of the week. By the time it was all said and done it was indeed the Kings who sat atop the Western Conference throne after the end of Week 1. After winning the last 4 straight games, the Kings sit at 9-2-3 and are poised to stay hot. They have potted 56 goals this season which is tied for second-most in the entire league. The catalyst of their offense has been @jhatty8RJ Thatcher who leads the tea with 9 goals and 14 assists which is good for 23 points. Of his 9 goals, 5 of them are game winners! Having an X-factor like Thatcher on the team is definitely paying dividends. And although Thatcher has been great, Mexico has gotten great results across the board from their top 6 and almost all their defensemen. Second year player @TMGSosaJakob Sosa has been lethal this season thus far, scoring 8 goals on only 18 shots. We may need to start calling him "The Mexican Sniper" if he can keep scoring at that clip. In goal, max-capped tender @XflexzMarcus Emerson Jr has been a force. With a 2.44 GAA and .910 save percentage, he has been absolutely huge for his club thus far and mangers hylands and Rory must be most pleased to see their keeper doing so well. Emerson Jr will be going pro in Season 76, so this will be his last shot at Founders Cup. If Week 1 was any indication, he most definitely will have a good chance of doing so. 

s74champ.jpg.de3e51fe6d76f4d89e7a0d431dd

Last Week: 4 | This Week: 3 image.png.1c58e7a4f50171707e602b6d15fc3a54.png

This one could be a little controversial, but allow me to explain. While Miami did not have the third-best, or even the fourth-best record at the end of week 1, they are still a very solid 8-5-0, and that's after 3 tussles with the powerhouse Reapers already. On top of that, they have arguably the most lethal scorer in the league in sophomore @RedSusCabe McJake. The Marauders have netted 56 goals already this season and have a goal differential of 19, which is good for second best in the league.  All of their high end talent is performing as expected, though if they want to be successful come playoff time, they may need some of their newer depth players to step up and help also.  In goal @thadthrasherThadius Sales has been solid, as advertised going 7-4-0 with a tidy 2.91 GAA and a .908 save percentage. The Mauraders should have a stellar record by the end of the season but only time will tell if they can go back-to back, a feat that is very rare in this league.

zSH08aB.png

Last Week: 3 | This Week: 4 image.png.28f8bfc477aaac40b646e91b7c72d129.png

Dropping one spot from last week, the Las Vegas Aces come in at number 4. Now Aces fans, don't be upset. This is really splitting hairs and I would even consider Vegas and Miami 3A and 3B. That being said, Las Vegas enjoyed a very successful 9-2-2 start to their campaign which is good for second in the very competitive Western Conference. Offensively, the Aces are not going to leap out of the page at you. Winger @inflastudAngel Wachiure has found the most success of his teammates, putting up 9 goals, 8 assists for 17 points. The two forwards that I had projected to lead the way (Its Gucci and Artair McCloud)  have been slow out of the gate and will need to find their offensive touch to put Vegas over the top come the postseason. However, what the Aces lack in offense, they more than make up for in defense. @Matt thunderMatt Thunder has led their defense in points with 12, and on the defensive side of things VHLM veteran @BouncyelfJoakim Lund has been an absolute warrior, blocking 22 shots and laying down 23 hits. In net, second year goalie @matt sovick Matt Sovick has been the beneficiary of amazing team defense. He himself has been pretty solid also with a 2.58 GAA and a save percentage of .898. He has been a decent TPE earner during his tenure for Vegas, and will need to keep up this pace to solidify himself as one of the leagues more reliable tenders. 

gROewue.png

Last Week: 7 | This Week: 5 image.png.1c58e7a4f50171707e602b6d15fc3a54.png

Emerging from the middle of the pack where teams are super close, the Saskatoon Wild have enjoyed a 8-4-1 start to their season. I really believe 5-9 will see the most flip-flopping throughout the year, but the Sasky Bois are crushing it after Week 1! Returning forward @EsoSteve Eso is off to a blazing start with 26 points (9G, 17A). A large part of his success could be attributed to his increased earning over the offseason and into the start of this season. Along with Eso, other returnees including @yevtySilas LaFriend, @dartFlorent Vericel, and @dshervill Braxton Hunter have also experienced great success early in the year. After losing to the Hounds in the playoffs last season the Wild vowed to develop in the offseason and hopefully come back to Saskatoon for Season 75 and run it back. While not all of the players made it back this season, the ones that have are living up to their promise and it's great to see! Netminder @DragonFire420Michael Fletcher has been solid with a 3.29GAA and a .892 save percentage,  but the Wild will need him to continue earning and developing to help put them over the edge this year.

5GEf2KS.png

Last Week: 6 | This Week: 6 image.png.1c58e7a4f50171707e602b6d15fc3a54.png

While San Diego's record may only sit at 7-6-0 so far this season. there are plenty of reasons for Marlins fans to be excited. The Marlins have not had an easy schedule so far this season, and despite that, they still managed to get wins off top teams like Mexico City and Saskatoon.  As many people predicted, @fromtheinsideScotty Kaberle and @ProutCowboy prout have chipped in big time with 16 points a piece. The first two picks in the VHLM Dispersal draft began the season on the top pair together, but management has experimented splitting them up to give their team more consistancy throughout the lineup and this seems to be paying off already. Up front, @Jonessee27Nero Endrizzi and @TateRed Lite have also put up 16 points a piece. Having 4 players at the 16 point mark is a great place to start, but the Marlins will need some more secondary scoring if they want to hang around and contend in the playoffs. They are currently sitting tied for third last in goals scored, so there's no question they need to spark some more offense. Despite what seems to be stellar defense, San Diego goalie @MSO94Michael Olson has had his struggles thus far, sporting a 3.51 GAA and a .873 save percentage. This will have to improve if San Diego has any chance at success.

WiaitDx.png

Last Week: 5 | This Week: 7 image.png.28f8bfc477aaac40b646e91b7c72d129.png

Here we have another team in Yukon that is in a very tough Eastern Conference that is right in the thick of things. After a red hot 4-0-1 start, the Rush hit a bit of a speed bump towards the second half of the week and finished with 6-4-3 record. Early in the week the Rush pulled off a trade sending @Viperxhawks19Evgeny Bernov to the Marauders in exchange for center @Jake SumnerThe Great and although it is early, it seems as though the move is paying off for Yukon. The Great slid into a second-line center role and has already picked up 14 points in 11 games. The Rush have had great efforts across the board offensively with 6 players with 13 or more points. Just as the Power Rankings were being put together today the Rush made another deal, this time with Ottawa. The deal saw them move their second year winger @NeptoMaksim Yakolevsky in exchange for their new first line center @TenZiKevin Sterk.  Maksim was off to an unsual slow start and Yukon had a surplus of good wingers, so GM @MexicanCow123believed this move made alot of sense. If the Rush can get some player development from their young second pair defenders @HoPeFuLCheWBaCCaHans Shultz and @JuiceKristof Welch, they will be primed for another deep playoff run. With goaltender @KloxifiedKloxified capped out in net, they have the pieces to be a legitimate threat this season.

JhmlGX6.png

Last Week: 8 This Week: 8 Category:Left and right arrow symbols - Wikimedia Commons

Back over to the Western Conference, we have the Season 74 powerhouse Halifax 21st. They are sitting at 6-6-1 which is good for third in the West after Week 1. Though most of their games are going against weaker teams in the West, Halifax has definitely showed some positive signs thus far, already amassing 51 goals!  It's also worth noting that they were the first team to hand an L to Philadelphia this season, and that is a feat in itself.  10th overall pick @DolantDolant Fertitta has started his second year campaign much like how he ended the first; dominant. Putting up 12 goals and 11 assists for 23 points, he leads the team in scoring sits utop the league leaders offensively. Not far behind him is linemate @Nick KirkpatrickTheo James St. Louis with 18 points, and defender @ThranduilClinton Gifopoulos with 16 points. Another  player who has had a great overall performance is fourth year Halifax blueliner @dylanjj37Rick Osman who has only netted 12 points, but managed 22 hits and 15 blocked shots to boot. Goalie @SilverMike Mike Sterling has had somewhat of pedestrian start going 4-4-1 with a 3.09 GAA and a .870 save percentage.  If the 21st can keep racking up wins against weaker conference rivals like Ottawa and Minnesota, they could easily punch a ticket to the playoffs.

gfyt8tQ.png

Last Week: 10 | This Week: 9 image.png.1c58e7a4f50171707e602b6d15fc3a54.png

Now you may see this and look at the standings and say "how are the Bulls moving up in the Power Rankings while finishing last in their conference"? Well if you've been following the theme of this week you'll know that it's all about which conference they are in, and the quality of the opponents they're going up against.  While only managing to go 5-9-0 to start their season, this record can be deceiving. There are no easy matchups in the West and Houston is scrapping and clawing in every game they're in. I truly believe that if their roster sticks to the plan and develops over the season they can still contend for a playoff spot. While the scoring has been a balanced attack (6 players between 10 and 13 points), there needs to be a little more offense to put them over the edge and start netting them some wins. On the blueline there are also positive signs.  Their top 4 defensemen have combined for a total of 131 blocked shots already, so that is a great sign!  In net, their #1 goalie @Caboose30 Trent Gibson has a 3.31 GAA and a respectable .898 save percentage, which really isn't all that bad considering Houston is tied for third-most goals against after Week 1. Like I said before, it will definitely be a challenge for Houston because of the conference they are in, but I could definitely see them rise on this list before it's all said and done.

tNqDZWJ.png
Last Week: 11 | This Week: 10 image.png.1c58e7a4f50171707e602b6d15fc3a54.png

While I was pretty harsh last week with the bottom couple of teams on this list for having incomplete rosters, Minnesota has been very active in the recuitment department in the past 7 days and has found some bodies to fill out their roster nicely. This will be a great opportunity for new players to actually get quality minutes in their rookie seasons. While still not being a very competitive roster, there has been a couple bright spots for Minny this week who I would say definitely performed a bit better than expected. First off is rookie defender @stevo Ron World Peace III. Despite only earning an average of 6 TPE per week in his career thus far, he has come out the gate flying, leading all defensemen in the league with 19 points (6 goals, 13 assists). Congrats to him on his fantastic start.  Up front @TheOGSharkJoseph Sharkton and winger @NotSoGood88Henry Tucker have put up a very impressive 22 and 19 points respectively. Meanwhile in the crease, there could be a goalie battle brewing. Despite going a respectable 5-5, @HelloHi Hello's stats have not been flattering (4.57 GAA, .888 SV%). On the flipside, while only going 1-2 in 3 starts, @TrunkxolotlTater Tot has had a very nice 2.50 GAA and a .932 save percentage. Albeit, a small sample size, it is compelling debate whether the starchy netminder has earned himself some more starts. 

gQq22Ta.png

Last Week: 9 | This Week: 11 image.png.28f8bfc477aaac40b646e91b7c72d129.png

Slipping to 11 this week, the Hounds stumbled out the gate going 5-7-1 in the weaker Eastern Conference. Giving up 52 goals hasn't helped their effort, but having a shorthanded roster is really the core issue here. @MMFLEXDan Dan is having himself a great campaign with 15 goals already, tied for the league lead with Cabe McJake. Though the Mississauga brass has been more diligent of late in signing players, time will be running out quickly and one has to wonder if the Hounds might deal Dan Dan before the deadline to a team that needs some scoring. Defensively @KylradR has been called up to Chicago leaving the Hounds even more shorthanded.  With 2 goalies under 100 TPE, I just don't see how things will improve for the Hounds anytime soon.. but they will never hit rock bottom. That honor belongs to....

2KpNgw5.png

Last Week: 12 | This Week: 12 Category:Left and right arrow symbols - Wikimedia Commons

Ottawa is going to be here for the remainder of the season. Though at the time of this article, they have finally managed to sign their first defenseman off waivers. Rookie@mcjosd Chester McCork (fantastic name) will have all the ice time he could possibly dream of this season, so congrats to him for being the first d-man to sign in the Nation's Capital this season. It was also be interesting to see if @NeptoMaksim Yakolevsky can re-discover his scoring touch he has had throughout his M career now that he will be leaned on to lead the Lynx. At this point its baby steps for Ottawa, as they will try to get their first W of the season in Week 2. 

That wraps up the Week 2 Power Rankings. Nothing super crazy going on yet, but congrats to the Saskatoon Wild for being the biggest movers this week, going up from 7 to 5! I will be back next week with Week 3. Hope you all enjoyed it, we will see you out on the ice!

Edited by fromtheinside

1 hour ago, Blazzer said:

Is a VHL one possible? 👀

I wouldn't mind doing one, maybe next season when I start playing there and learn the pros a bit better. Right now I have a way better feel for whats going on in the M. Im sure there's lots of people in the VHL who could do one though.

Review:

A really great rundown of the entire VHLM and how teams have performed so far, good job at showing how each team is finding success and pointing out the key players that have been performing well in the early season. Use of the small banners is nice too. The added details of the teams rank last week and the change since then makes it look very professional as well.

10/10

10/10, one of the best articles right now in here. I like how you present good statements after claiming how a team had either risen or fallen. Depth evaluations are always good for both good and bad for guys to figure out whats wrong or either whats good. Tldr done very professionally and im looking for more

Edited by Jolline

On 11/27/2020 at 5:29 PM, domg5 said:

I wish Houston was in the east lol. The west is so rough right now

shit I know man.....YUK is feeling it too, its frustrating as AGM there. I feel we got a solid team but the west is just a tough match up night in and night out. Same with playing on the Marlins.... we are doing well right now, but I feel like it won't take much to go on a big losing streak. 

I really hoppe this is a season long thing. I love reading these and seeing what others think of the teams and their predictions. Its very nice to look at and the graphics are used perfectly. 10/10 my dude