Update to the GM Draft Rules

Beketov

• Commissioner
9 minutes ago, Mr_Hatter said:

Honestly, why even have FA rules for GM players at this point? That is kinda bs to me. If the whole point is to not allow any unfair or guaranteed link between a GM and their player, why restrict their FA move whatsoever? Let whoever drafts them be sure the player will stay with the team, just like any other player in the league. 

Regular players have no incentive outside of their own personal goals. GM’s obviously have team goals to consider. If FA is allowed three draft is just a formality. Get drafted somewhere, play three years, and then hop to your own team for your prime years without having to pay for them at all.

I'm thankful that this rule change wasn't implemented until now so that I can go down as the last non-GM first overall pick.

I always thought the easiest solution was to say the team could lock in their GM player with their actual pick based on the draft rules or earlier. The teams have to announce their intention ahead of time. If they choose to select their GM player, then that's locked in. If they choose not to select their player, then the player joins the draft pool like everyone else. 

25 minutes ago, DMaximus said:

I'm thankful that this rule change wasn't implemented until now so that I can go down as the last non-GM first overall pick.

I always thought the easiest solution was to say the team could lock in their GM player with their actual pick based on the draft rules or earlier. The teams have to announce their intention ahead of time. If they choose to select their GM player, then that's locked in. If they choose not to select their player, then the player joins the draft pool like everyone else. 

I love that idea

• Commissioner
10 minutes ago, IamMOOSE said:

Comissioners: *Let's GMs take their players low for years*

Also Commissioners: *Conveniently changes GM players rule the season @Beaviss has a player in the draft after he won the cup the previous season*

Tbh I brought it up for discussion before this past draft but a bunch of other stuff came up and we didn’t get it finalized in time.

I think the two easiest options are to have your player drafted wherever they end up i.e like who was it this past draft, Gustav who had the best prospect in terms of TPE he would have been 1st, which is what we have now, this was easy rule change.

the other option is just scrap the whole draft thing and the GM player just automatically goes to the team like it used to be, while neither is perfect, they would be better than what it was.

55 minutes ago, Beketov said:

Regular players have no incentive outside of their own personal goals. GM’s obviously have team goals to consider. If FA is allowed three draft is just a formality. Get drafted somewhere, play three years, and then hop to your own team for your prime years without having to pay for them at all.

Ya,  this is inaccurate in so many ways. Lots of people have friendships on this site and would happily jump ship in FA. We allow AGMs to move freely and some people choose to move to their own teams while others diversify. If GMs do their homework and ask players if they will move after their rookie year why is there any reason to restrict GM player movement? This is another case of you trying to negate what you see as potential abuse but let’s be honest you’re just infringing on GM’s player rights. If They want to find a way to their team you seem determined to make them pay, even though you would never do that to regular users. This really needs to be rethought in my opinion. You already took away actual GM players, while i get the move to take away the guaranteed pick the continuation of FA restrictions on GMs seems unreasonable considering all you’ve already taken from them over the last few seasons. If you’re going to remove limits, remove them all. 

45 minutes ago, DMaximus said:

You’re a VHLM GM, you count as a GM. So you don’t really take that part in history... it goes to @Renomitsu  in our last draft. Lol

• Commissioner
3 minutes ago, BladeMaiden said:

Ya,  this is inaccurate in so many ways. Lots of people have friendships on this site and would happily jump ship in FA. We allow AGMs to move freely and some people choose to move to their own teams while others diversify. If GMs do their homework and ask players if they will move after their rookie year why is there any reason to restrict GM player movement? This is another case of you trying to negate what you see as potential abuse but let’s be honest you’re just infringing on GM’s player rights. If They want to find a way to their team you seem determined to make them pay, even though you would never do that to regular users. This really needs to be rethought in my opinion. You already took away actual GM players, while i get the move to take away the guaranteed pick the continuation of FA restrictions on GMs seems unreasonable considering all you’ve already taken from them over the last few seasons. If you’re going to remove limits, remove them all. 

You seem to think I’m speaking in hypotheticals. Basically every GM who has been part of BOG discussion on the matter at one point or another has said they would gladly jump ship to their own team. It’s not a matter of trying to give them fewer options (it used to be they were locked to their own team, doing this offered them actually MORE freedom), it’s a matter of trying to make sure they don’t just screw each other at the first possible instance.

8 minutes ago, Beketov said:

You seem to think I’m speaking in hypotheticals. Basically every GM who has been part of BOG discussion on the matter at one point or another has said they would gladly jump ship to their own team. It’s not a matter of trying to give them fewer options (it used to be they were locked to their own team, doing this offered them actually MORE freedom), it’s a matter of trying to make sure they don’t just screw each other at the first possible instance.

if they all screw each other who is actually getting screwed?

logically it’s still an even playing field ...

your just adding rules to have them at that point..

Edited by BladeMaiden

32 minutes ago, IamMOOSE said:

Comissioners: *Let's GMs take their players low for years*

Also Commissioners: *Conveniently changes GM players rule the season @Beaviss has a player in the draft after he won the cup the previous season*

You say, as if:

a) Beaviss wasn't also a commissioner himself

b) Beaviss hasn't already said he wouldn't use the claim rule for his own player

53 minutes ago, IamMOOSE said:

Can confirm this is why we did it.

Also I like meatloaf too

44 minutes ago, Beketov said:

Tbh I brought it up for discussion before this past draft but a bunch of other stuff came up and we didn’t get it finalized in time.

22 minutes ago, Enorama said:

You say, as if:

a) Beaviss wasn't also a commissioner himself

b) Beaviss hasn't already said he wouldn't use the claim rule for his own player

1 minute ago, GustavMattias said:

Can confirm this is why we did it.

Also I like meatloaf too

Relax guys, I'm only kidding. Besides, I save my Heel character and league bashing for the EFL. Ask @Spartan.

1 hour ago, Beketov said:

Then we should refactor how free agency works. I disagree with the idea that GM players should be prohibited from going to their team if they are unable to draft them as previous.

Regardless, just my personal opinion. I could be wrong, and sure it might be best this way. But to me it seems to be needlessly restrictive to GM players; just my .02

• Commissioner
Just now, Mr_Hatter said:

disagree with the idea that GM players should be prohibited from going to their team if they are unable to draft them as previous.

They can 100% trade for themselves, they aren’t being told that they can’t get themselves at all post-draft.

18 minutes ago, Beketov said:

They can 100% trade for themselves, they aren’t being told that they can’t get themselves at all post-draft.

Free agency though 😕

Idk I don't feel too strongly either way. Realistically its still worth it for GM players to trade up to get themselves. I just think its making things a little unnecessarily difficult without removing FA restrictions. I hope this improves the quality of the league regardless!

Happy with this change. I don't like the idea of GM's trying to game the system and get the best value on the auto pick used to get their own players in the draft. I also think that while it may not be rife with much abuse, continuing with the free agency ban encourages GM's to use their own player somewhere else. I think that isn't a bad thing either.

I think it really depends on the situation your team is in, if your in the position where you need a for sure lock player or alternatively are having trouble filling a specific position need finding a way to acquire your own player as a lock makes absolute strategic sense. But likewise, if you don't have those holes to fill and it's just another player you gain a lot more from having your player on another team. You get an inside working relationship with that teams GM, you get a whole slew of players and members to build relationships with and follow their careers. Considering many of the VHL's most prominent and noteworthy trades are not a fleecing but in fact good faith hockey deals that happen with quality relationships and negotiations; having a player on another team just opens the door for an easy in with another team. 

I don't understand the obsession to need to goto your own team where you are GM. Part of the process of developing your player is getting drafted to someone that wants you. Plus I think the draft is more exciting when you dont have 3-4 GM players in the first round and you know they are automatically jus taking their own player, this makes the draft itself much more interesting which I think is a positive. Alot of people seem super down on the idea and I just don't understand why.

9 hours ago, Beketov said:

It was considered but ultimately we felt like that still means a lot of judging quality of GM players unfairly. Some may be a top 8 guy but some might not. Having them be in the market as any other player would be means the market dictates their value, not the rules.

just @me next time ;)

9 hours ago, fromtheinside said:

I don't understand the obsession to need to goto your own team where you are GM. Part of the process of developing your player is getting drafted to someone that wants you. Plus I think the draft is more exciting when you dont have 3-4 GM players in the first round and you know they are automatically jus taking their own player, this makes the draft itself much more interesting which I think is a positive. Alot of people seem super down on the idea and I just don't understand why.

It gives GMs a fully controllable max earning asset. Most general managers are going to want to put that to use.

As a general manager who’s player is retiring this season I am now more inclined to not recreate as I will likely just be helping another team. Selfish? Maybe. But as a general manager I get judged on team success and this hurts me.

Undecided on if I’ll actually hold off on recreating or not but that is why some are not happy.