Saskatoon having a "Wild" season

dshervill

So far throughout the VHLM season you can say that two things are true about the current Wild roster:

1) The Wild are an incredibly talented team as indicated by their 16-8-3 record.

2) They are having a great time in and out of the locker room.

The energy that Saskatoon has when coming onto the ice is electric, you can tell that the players are extremely focused and ready to play. After the game if it's a win, the team is all smiles and looking for ways to improve. Even being in the locker room after the games there is an aura about this team. The group that management has put together certainly is a special one, led by their Captain Steve Eso who's been setting the tone for how the team plays and how the team has been performing this year. 

Compared to a loss, Saskatoon is still in high spirits. It's almost immediate how they understand what they could've done better, how they see the mistakes and start to focus on how to improve them. The ability for their coaching staff to keep the team focused on improvement and not get too down during losses is impeccable. This reporter has not seen a group like this in a long time, in a post game interview with assistant captain Braxton Hunter he had the following to say about the team;

"This is just such a great group of guys, we all keep each other accountable and we definitely know how to have fun (he laughs and looks toward captain Steve Eso), I know this group is just going to get better and better as the season goes on. To have the start we've had is pretty amazing, all that credit goes towards management and the coaching staff for putting together such a great roster."

That "great roster" as Hunter put it certainly has the potential to be a contender in the VHLM, so far the Wild have a few players that have shown that they can carry a heavy workload and it wouldn't surprise me to see a few of them in the VHL next season. Overall the team has seen a drastic improvement since last season and Hunter contributed that to their offseason program.

"Our coaches and management had exit interviews with everyone, from my interview they gave me a structured program that they wanted me to follow and they told me that if I sold out to this program and fully committed that I would improve drastically as a player and the team overall would improve. So I followed that program to a 'T' and didn't let anything distract me from it. Being around the guys this offseason in our workouts for the guys who stayed in Sask made the workouts fun and made it easier for us to keep each other accountable."

Who knows what the rest of this season has in store for the Wild, but it has certainly been entertaining to watch. It's clear that the offseason was certainly a big factor for the Wild's improvement. We certainly don't know what the rest of the season or even next season has in store,  but for now, we get to have the joy of watching this what seems to be magical team take the ice, so enjoy it while you can folks. 

From The Star Phoenix, this is Jarrod Mansen

Edited by dshervill

Review: Good media spot. While there's nothing fancy about this with no picture or use of bold or Italics this is still a really effective MS, good pacing, spacing and " for quotes. I think you did a good job giving us a little insight into the team and the strong hopes for the the team, and with their record it's understandable. This team has every right to feel like a contender. 7/10