VHLM Week 2 Player Highlights

thadthrasher

I owe a huge apology to @MexicanCow123, @fromtheinside, and the entire Yukon Rush locker room. Last week I completely forgot to include their team in my report. I won't make any excuses for that and I sincerely apologize!

If you would like to keep track of your team's week by week stats (other than GAA and SH%) make sure to check out the Google Sheets document to see that information.

To look at last week's winners, click here!

---

Week 2 in the VHLM S75 has come to an end and there were certainly some exciting changes. We saw trades happen between Yukon and Ottawa early in the week, and then last night at the end of the week between San Diego and Ottawa. Many teams across the league signed waiver players, hoping to add to their chances for the Founder's Cup! 

League standings have fluctuated greatly over this last week, and the only team that saw absolutely no move was Ottawa.

Just like last week, each team will have an Offensive Star, Defensive Star, and some awards. This is based on weekly performance, not current team or league leaders.

Some of you suggested that I switch up the awards, however I'm going to stick with the awards from last week for each team. HOWEVER, if you think of an award that a player deserves to get make sure you tag them in the comments with what that award is. Don't forget to include why they get it!

*Teams are presented in order of League Overall Standing

:mck:Mexico City Kings (22-3-3):mck:

GM - @Hylands AGM - @rory

Offensive Star - While not necessarily scoring the most points for his team this week, this player brought in 26 points over 17 GP. Setting up his team with 16 assists, this week's Offensive Star is Magnus Verlander @Jbeezy76!

Defensive Star - Mexico City's defensive was incredible this week, blocking 108 shots together (this isn't including their offense who blocked shots either). However, one player stands out. Much like last week, this player continues to block shots, lay out some massive hits, and be the teams leading points earner for defensemen. This week the Defensive Star is King Kruul @LefLop!

Wanna Be Goalie Award - Hulk Hogan Jr @Beaviss with 29 SB. Hey, brother!

Rule Breaker Award - King Kruul @LefLop with 22 PIM

Snow Plow Award - Justin Lose @youloser1337 with 42 hits

:phi:Philadelphia Reapers (22-4-1):phi:

GM - @DMaximus AGM - @Spence King

Offensive Star - This player certainly made their presence known on the ice! Bringing in 30 points and delivering 66 hits, this week's Offensive Star is Addison McLaren @tcookie25!

Defensive Star - This defender continues to be an important asset. Collecting 22 points, maintaining a high +/- of 28, laying out 42 hits and even blocking 19 shots, this week's Defensive Star is Jolly Greene Giant @DoktorFunk

Wanna Be Goalie Award - Bob Tristan @N0HBDY with 20 SB

Rule Breaker Award - Addison McLaren @tcookie25 with 38 PIM

Snow Plow Award - Addison McLaren @tcookie25 with 66 hits

:sdm:San Diego Marlins (18-8-1):sdm:

GM - @InstantRockstar AGM - @IamMOOSE

Offensive Star - This was a tough decision to make. Two players stand out the most with 23 points each. However, only one of them delivered more hits and took on more penalties, and that would be Nero Endrizzi @Jonessee27!

Defensive Star - This defender once again finds themselves being the Defensive Star for San Diego. With 22 points, 42 hits, and 39 SB we HAVE to give this to Cowboy Prout @Prout!

Wanna Be Goalie Award - Cowboy Prout @Prout with 39 SB

Rule Breaker Award - We have a tie between Cowboy Prout @Prout and Phil The Rock Johnson @Phil both with 24 PIM

Snow Plow Award - Cowboy Prout @Prout with 42 hits (Jon Strider @Strider just missed it with 41 hits)

:ssk:Saskatoon Wild (16-8-3):ssk:

GM - @Doomsday AGM - @a_Ferk

Offensive Star - With the team's highest +/- for the week at 10, scoring 24 points on 19 assists, and holding one of the lowest PIMs of 2 this week, we have to go with Vivek Weiner @coochiman

Defensive Star - Two defenders stuck out this week in Saskatoon. Both brought in about the same number of points and have a very similar +/-. While Gabriel Johnson @GeckoeyGecko blocked an insane 27 shots blocked, Battre Sandstrom @Acydburn  was busy laying down 29 hits. With that in mind, one player was able to score 2 GW goals for the Wild while also keeping a relatively low PIM of 22. Congratulations to Battre Sandstrom @Acydburn

Wanna Be Goalie Award - Gabriel Johnson @GeckoeyGecko with 27 SB

Rule Breaker Award - Logan Moore @drewowo with 37 PIM

Snow Plow Award - Braxton Hunter @dshervill with 71 hits

:veg:Las Vegas Aces (15-9-3):veg:

GM -  @Spartan AGM - @JigglyGumballs

Offensive Star - There is one clear winner here for the Las Vegas Aces' Offensive Star of the week! Racking in 19 points, with only 4 PIM and a whopping 21 hits, we have to go with Angel Wachiure @inflastud!

Defensive Star - Coming in second place as far as points go, with 16 earned, this defender kept a cool head with 12 PIM and even made sure to block 18 shots! Congratulations to Chase Crosby @Wreckening!

Wanna Be Goalie Award - Matt Thunder @Matt thunder with 24 SB

Rule Breaker Award - We have a tie between Joakim Lund @Bouncyelf and Kelly Power @Nordin both with 26 PIM

Snow Plow Award - Kelly Power @Nordin with 68 hits

:mia:Miami Marauders (15-12-0):mia:

GM - @Ricer13 AGM - @Zetterberg

Offensive Star - While many may have expected last week's Offensive Star, Cabe McJake @RedSus to keep his title this week, we have a change! This player brought in 20 points, kept a fairly low number of PIM at 12 and even delivered 22 hits. Congratulations to Nathan Perry @tinafrombobsburgers!

Defensive Star - This defender did not score the most points as far as defenders go for Miami. However, they have the second highest number of points for a defender at 10, 31 hits and even blocking 16 shots! Congratulations to Martin Master @Martin Bradac!

Wanna Be Goalie Award - We have a tie between Chicken Wing @chikn and Franz Ferdinand @-_____- both with 20 SB

Rule Breaker Award - Wayne Rooney @Ingusk3 with 30 PIM

Snow Plow Award - Ryan Ryker @Jayrad28 with 46 hits

:hfx:Halifax 21st (13-13-2):hfx:

GM - @Dil AGM - @Riley_Couture

Offensive Star - Again, this player shows Halifax that they are a points earner. Bringing in 28 points and having the team's highest +/- of 12, this week's Offensive Star is Dolant Fertitta @Dolant!

Defensive Star - It was a tough decision this week as far as a Defensive Star goes. Two defenders stood out with almost the same number of points and hits. However, one of these players was able to earn 17 points, have a +/- of 6, deliver 29 hits and block 23 shots. This week we select Rick Osman @dylanjj37!

Wanna Be Goalie Award - Clinton Giftopoulos @Thranduil with 30 SB

Rule Breaker Award - Javad Kamkar @Parriyah9374 with 30 PIM

Snow Plow Award - Ramarod Ramirez @Ominous with 42 hits

:yuk:Yukon Rush (11-12-4):yuk:

GM - @MexicanCow123 AGM - @fromtheinside

Offensive Star - The offensive player we decided to go with this week was able to not only lead the team in points with 20, but they also delivered an impressive 35 hits and even blocked 9 shots. While it was a close call, we decided to go with Vick Fairchild @GreenGato!

Defensive Star - One defender in Yukon has shown they have a great 200-foot game! This player delivered 13 assists, scored 3 goals, and made sure to block a whopping 29 shots! We've selected Tee Pee E II @Goliathus as Yukon's Defensive Star of the week!

Wanna Be Goalie Award - Tee Pee E II @Goliathus with 29 SB

Rule Breaker Award - Vick Fairchild @GreenGato with 20 PIM

Snow Plow Award - We have a tie between Michael Schmidt @Kmatt and Vick Fairchild @GreenGato with 35 hits

:hou:Houston Bulls (11-17-0):hou:

GM - @rjfryman AGM - @MattyIce

Offensive Star - There is only one player in Houston who deserves this week's honor of being their team's Offensive Star. With 24 points and 40 hits this week, we have decided to give this honor to Dominic Gobeil @domg5!

Defensive Star - This week's Defensive Star for Houston not only served up 7 assists, but they have the best +/- for the team at 6 and they blocked 25 shots in total! Congratulations to Not A Player @Nope488 for retaining the title!

Wanna Be Goalie Award - Usilov Valentinovich @Usilov Valentinovich with 34 SB

Rule Breaker Award - Zachary Sirois @Zach386 with 36 PIM

Snow Plow Award - Jared Carter @jaredc7 with 58 hits

:mis:Mississauga Hounds (10-16-1):mis:

GM - @ColeMrtz AGM - @Bacon

Offensive Star - This player is the only one to have goals in the double digits, scoring 11 this week. They also lead the Hounds with 18 points and have 1 of 2 of the GW goals. Congratulations to this week's Offensive Star in Mississauga, Eeli Rantanen @Jolline!

Defensive Star - As far as defenders go, only 1 shines bright! This defender leads the team with 12 assists, has the team's lowest PIM of 4 and even blocked 17 shots. It's clear that the Defensive Star for the Hounds is Gustav Hjalmarsson @McLovin!

Wanna Be Goalie Award - Feenixx Rising @FeenixxRIsing with 34 SB

Rule Breaker Award - Erin Esurance @Sljppers with 23 PIM

Snow Plow Award - We have a tie between Dan Dan @MMFLEX and The Blob @JorgTheGoat03 both with 49 hits

:osl:Minnesota Storm (8-17-1):osl:

GM - @Rayzor_7 AGM - @Mr_Hatter

Offensive Star - Leading Minnesota with 19 points and the most assists at 12, Minnesota has one player who continues to push for offensive movement in their games, and that is why this week's Offensive Star is once again Joseph Sharkton @TheOGShark!

Defensive Star - While there doesn't seem to be much defense going on in Minnesota, one player seems to be attempting to propel the Storm forward. Not only did they block 44 shots, but they also have 15 points this week with 10 assists. Congratulations, once again, to Ron World Peace III @stevo!

Wanna Be Goalie Award - Art Yemis @SofaKing with 48 SB

Rule Breaker Award - Markuss Puhovs @VOID Stiles with 28 PIM

Snow Plow Award - Art Yemis @SofaKing with 41 hits

:ott:Ottawa Lynx (2-24-1):ott:

GM - @DoktorFunk AGM - @DarkSpyro

Offensive Star - This player was traded into Ottawa at the beginning of the week, made their presence known, and then was traded away to San Diego. In that week this player scored 13 goals and delivered 10 assists. This player demonstrated a desire to help Ottawa move forward. Congratulations to Makism Yakolevsky @Nepto and good luck in San Diego!

Defensive Star - It's hard to tell if Ottawa is taking the old saying of "the best defense is a good offense" too literally. Whatever it is, it isn't working. However, one player continues to strive for success, despite their team's current standing. Mustering up 8 points, delivering 25 hits, and attempting to help his poor goalie by blocking 30 shots, the Defensive Star in Ottawa is Chester McCork @mcjosd. Congratulations!

Wanna Be Goalie Award - Chester McCork @mcjosd with 30 SB

Rule Breaker Award - We have a tie between Ishmael iqbal @mcsquishy (currently released) and Rei Guy @Reeeee with 16 PIM

Snow Plow Award - Philip Stein @IHateBobNutting with 29 hits

Goalies

Instead of providing awards to each team's goalies, since there are normally only two options per team, we are going to highlight one goalie per week who holds the best SV% for the week (must play a majority of the team's games). The goalie with the highest SV% for the week will be awarded the Brick Wall Award.

*we were evaluating GAA/week but the amount of time it would take to figure that out is way too high

Brick Wall Award - This goalie not only captured 1 SO this week, but they also continue to come in clutch for their team! With a .912 SV% for the week, we have to give this week's Brick Wall Award to the Philadelphia Reaper's starting goaltender, Jacob Carson @jacobcarson877!

League Overall

Only leading Philadelphia by two points so far, the Mexico City Kings took the lead this week with 42 points. Winning 9 games in a row, the eyes of the world are now on Mexico City. Will they be able to hold their #1 position? It's still too early to tell.

Last week we wondered if Ottawa would be able to get something other than "0" in their win column, and they did! Now, with 2 wins, Ottawa leads the league in most losses and goals against! Morale continues to be low in Ottawa, but there has certainly been a lot of movement with trades and releases. It's clear that this season is one of rebranding and growth for Ottawa. We are left wondering, what's next for the Lynx?

-----

More than 500 words. Claiming for week ending 6 December 2020.

Edited by thadthrasher

1 hour ago, thadthrasher said:

I owe a huge apology to @MexicanCow123, @fromtheinside, and the entire Yukon Rush locker room. Last week I completely forgot to include their team in my report. I won't make any excuses for that and I sincerely apologize!

lol I  wasmt gonna say anything because it was really well done besides this :D

Love this weekly breakdown. Solid effort and analysis from you on each team and the changes in statistical progression as the weeks go on. I do wish this included some love for goaltenders though. Important position of the game that is vastly unrepresented on here. Otherwise, this is one of the top weekly reads on the forum. 8/10 my friend and don't worry about the Yukon snub, we've all missed stuff lol

1 minute ago, IamMOOSE said:

I do wish this included some love for goaltenders though

Yea, I was toying with that idea. Since I can't really analyze their weekly GAA I was feeling sort of stuck. I suppose I could just give some general comments about each goalie's weekly performance, outside of GAA of course. Thanks!

This is great. It’s awesome how much time and effort you put into these and the fact you’ve gotten all teams this time makes it even better 😉. But solid work with this very nicely written and the effort is obviously there which I enjoy. These are fun to read and I enjoyed the first one and this as well. Looking for forward for more! 10/10

It is obvious that you put a lot of time into this and I think you are starting to get a lot of people looking forward for this article every weeks wich means its really liked. You always come with stats that wasn’t shown anywhere and its really fun. What I would suggest is an other category that is the top forward of the league and the top defenseman of the league :). Its a rare 10/10 for you!

26 minutes ago, domg5 said:

It is obvious that you put a lot of time into this and I think you are starting to get a lot of people looking forward for this article every weeks wich means its really liked. You always come with stats that wasn’t shown anywhere and its really fun. What I would suggest is an other category that is the top forward of the league and the top defenseman of the league :). Its a rare 10/10 for you!

I appreciate the review, and knowing people look forward to it makes it well worth the time and effort I put into it! I'll certainly have to consider adding in a league-wide top forward and defender, great idea!