The Leo Strauss Rookie Experience

gregreg

The Rookie Experience with Leo Strauss

image.png.a4a055150dc6da9af5a49c75ffd44e3e.png

We caught up with Toronto Legion rookie Leo Strauss following his first 25 games in the VHL to see how he was adjusting to the big leagues and being in a big market like Toronto.

Reporter: Leo, this season you have made the jump to a VHL regular, what has that transition been like for you?

Leo: It has been a lot smoother than I thought it was going to be. My time in the VHLM wasn’t great and it tested me a lot. I was on two different teams down in the VHLM and I can’t say I enjoyed either team. I never played first line minutes, never got to play my natural position in centre and never seem to click with the teammates I had. But I plugged away knowing that it was just a stepping stone. I joined Toronto after getting traded by Seattle in the off-season and I took that chance to reset. I walked into Toronto with an open mind ready to prove that I was ready for the VHL. So far I’ve gotten along with everyone, the GM has a great plan in place and the locker room has been amazing. Making the transition a lot easier for me.

Reporter: Let’s talk about this season then, You have come in and been placed on the first line wing and also were given an “A”. What are your expectation for the rest of this season and for the rest of your career?

Leo: Getting the opportunity to not only play with great players but too also get to be a leader on a young team like this is huge. I’m only really a view games into my career but showing I can be a top line guy this season is going to help. I’m currently just under a point per game and that’s where I’d like to be my entire career. A point per game player that can help teams win. Toronto has a great future and I’m glad to be apart of it for now and the long term. I just want to continue to get better and I can say that I’ve made huge strides in my short time in Toronto.

Reporter: One last question for you Leo, your dad was a HOF player does the pressure to be him ever effect you?

Leo: Look no one can be my dad, he was a great player for a long time in the VHL and right now I’m just trying to be me. I hope to be close to as good as he was one day but for now I just take it a day at a time.