S75 Chess Tournament

bigAL

IT'S GO TIME!

The long-awaited S75 Chess Tournament is a GO.

Our competitors have been separated into four groups:

Group A:

Group B:

Group C :

Group D :

THE RULES OF THE GAME:

We're going to get a bit funky with this tournament because we're all pretty funky characters.

1. All games will be played on www.chess.com. Please go into the spreadsheet and add your Username.

2. Games will either be a 10-minute Rapid Game or a 24-hour Daily Game. This way timezones won't mess with our mojo. 

a) The 24h games go on the honour system. Don't be a dink and don't cheat.

b) You should play "unranked" games (@cole no free ELO 4 u). Decide before the game whether you will "allow takebacks" (if you're friends or in group D, it's a great option)

3. Each group will have a Round Robin which will lead to a Playoff Round.

4. Each player in each group will play each other a minimum of 1 times and a maximum of 3 times (cuz chess is fun and we all actually want to play it).

5. If/when you play a player again, try to spread it out to a different day so you don't go on tilt and crush someone who's having a bad day.

6. With the multiple games, standings will be based on Points% with tie-breakers going to straight wins.

7. Playoff format TBD.

8. The holidays are almost here so I don't think we want to infringe on those. Round Robin will end December 14 (10 days), and Playoffs will end by December 20 (7 days).

9. Heckin' have fun.

The master spreadsheet is located here:

• You don't have editing permissions, so comment and I'll manually approve (I don't trust you r_ory)
  • The winner must post game results in this thread to get the spreadsheet update approved
  • Put a number 0, 1, 2, 3 in your row (horizontal) against your opponent (column) based on how many times you win in the RR

The VHL Chess Club Discord server is here:

• Feel free to ping, stream, shit-talk in here all you want
  • Non-tournament and cross-group games are encouraged - it's not our official tournament server, it's a chess club!
  • Make sure you beat up on @Zetterbergvia the server because he didn't register for the tournament
  • Please be mindful of our friends who don't have Discord. It might be best to play Daily Games with them. (GrittyIsKing09 might be the only one)

And with that.... LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

Your immediate tasks are:

1. Go to spreadsheet and add your chess.com name
  2. Friend request to your whole group
  •  
  •  
  •  

1 minute ago, Ricer13 said:

We can play when it’s a better time

for you? 

uh this will probably be the best time cuz I'm doing this during school and the weekend is tomorrow so today or next week 

7 minutes ago, BarzalGoat said:

Ever hear of the Neftlix show Queen's Gambit?

oh, duh. yeah, my parents have watched it and I want to. I've played the Beth Harmon bot and only beaten the 8 and 9 y/o

Edited by GrittyIsKing09

2 minutes ago, chatfan036 said:

Thats sad

there are computers you can play against and bonus options against them like you can pick to have it show what pieces you can lose on that turn

5 minutes ago, hedgehog337 said:

@GrittyIsKing09 do you wanna play now? if so, 10 min or 24h?

24h definitely. I'll be off for maybe 3h but I'll be on again at like 8/8:30. you are plus 500 so can we make it a balanced game for the friendly

Edited by GrittyIsKing09

1 minute ago, GrittyIsKing09 said:

im playing chess against three people at once and likely going to lose to all of them

checkmated you literally while you were writing this 😆

Edited by bigAL