Quitting smoking?

Banackock

F9E5C958-C34B-47BC-B7B4-FDAF0FB503FB.thumb.png.b2803cbbbe6018553e4431077a2c718d.png

As some may know, I quit smoking cigarettes just over a month again and have from time to time shared my app’s progress in my locker room as it’s either requested me to show people for helpful tools/tasks or because it does help a little bit in curbing the habit/addiction. A while into it I made that “Good News” post about my girlfriend being confirmed cancer free and also letting the rest of the league know that along with that bright light, I’ve also taken up the challenge of bettering myself and conquering the mountain that many know to be “quitting smoking”.

Tonight, I found it cool to go on my phone and see a message from a fellow member that wanted to share a helpful message that they seen my post and have also quit smoking a few weeks ago. It made me proud of them. Maybe even a little bit because they were a newer member to the league and the Bears! I don’t think I had any impact on this, but a similar message popped in my head that many have echoed on here that it’s cool all the positivity going on, but also just how awesome this community and it’s members are. Kindness spreads faster than Covid. 

I mostly wanted to write this post up to help others (maybe myself too), have a place to chat or have resources or share stories about their successes (and maybe even failures). I know showing my progress to others, whether on here or in real life, offers up a great sense of pride and encouragement to continue a battle that often can be frustrating, exhausting and a pain in the damn ass. 

A few other things that have helped me are:

- I have this app. Smoke Free it’s called for IOS. It tracks cravings, has a helpful bit if you need resources, have questions or are struggling. It also offers up tools and daily tasks to help you progress. I do some of these but what’s most significant for me is the money saved counter and the “Time Smoke Free” counter. Visually seeing my progress really helps me get through it. 

- Have a goal. Have a few if you want. My main ones moving forward and since the beginning have financial (1) and health (2). It’s fucked up probably that it’s backwards and health should be (1), but it’s a close race. I just really want to save money for whatever the hell I want - up to AND including my vacation property in the mountains. Again, that app mentioned above really does help with this .

- Mental strength. You may be tough like buff Beav, but your mind is just as powerful - most likely more. The cravings can be tough as hell. I’ve had numerous moments and even portions of days where it’s in your mind at the start of quitting. Maybe a shit sleep, habitual things like driving, eating, boredom, sex, coffee, alcohol, being around those who smoke, socializing (not in today’s world lol!) or whatever. Maybe you’re having a shit day at work or just got bad news etc.. it happens and they’re (cravings) dry grass waiting for a match to drop.. but all fires can be put out! For me, weeks 1-2 were a decent struggle but once you hit that 3 weeks plateau .. it gets easier.. I’ve found it’s been a little tougher the last few days but that’s only because I think I’ve got focused in my head just how hard it’s going to be.. I had and have the thought of “I’ve quit for 36 days.. which is amazing.. but that’s only 36 days of the rest of my life” and the small accomplishment than stood beside a massive oncoming wave ready to crash into my progress lol.. 

One day at a time as my girlfriend reminds me. 

- Something that has helped me and could probably tie into the last one.. they become less frequent... your inner voice becomes louder than the cravings and they pass just as fast as they came.. in fact, I’ve had good luck with telling this thing to fuck off and be the louder one (I know some here probably aren’t surprised lmao).. they hit your mind and you either find a distraction, let them pass or I often find myself telling my mind “no. I’m not gonna smoke. I don’t like the health effects I’ve been having, don’t want to feel shamed and want to continue saving money”. So far, during this battle, I’m undefeated. I will continue to be. 36 days and counting, one at a time. 

- Good support. It’s helped me huge. Not so much to quench cravings but mostly just to feel encouragement and proud of myself. It’s a nice reminder as to why you’re doing it and feeling a sense of happiness and being proud always helps fuel motivation.

Stay strong friends. It’s hard as shit but you can do it. If anyone needs someone to talk to or anything, I’m always a message away. Stay healthy, happy and safe. Best of luck :) 

Best of luck to you, im still trying to get the no smoking thing figured out. Been trying to quit for the last couple years. But everytime I try I do go further, the last time I tried I had quit for three months and I found the biggest motivator for me was taking up jogging. I usually hate running but taking up jogging would make me further notice the improvement of my lungs over time. The first week your out of breath after ten or less minutes of jogging, by the third month I was running 5k. I got to see improvement every time I went out for a run and it really helped me to keep going with it. 

Obviously I hopped back on the cig, but I do plan to try again over the Christmas holidays.

4 hours ago, Banackock said:

A while into it I made that “Good News” post about my girlfriend being confirmed cancer free

Hadn't seen this before, just wanted to say that that's great news and I'm glad to hear she's doing well! Awesome job on making it this far with quitting smoking, too! From what I've heard, the first few weeks are the hardest, so congrats man, keep it up :)

Thank you everyone for the kind words and support. Bana tough like bull!

4 hours ago, Seabass said:

Best of luck to you, im still trying to get the no smoking thing figured out. Been trying to quit for the last couple years. But everytime I try I do go further, the last time I tried I had quit for three months and I found the biggest motivator for me was taking up jogging. I usually hate running but taking up jogging would make me further notice the improvement of my lungs over time. The first week your out of breath after ten or less minutes of jogging, by the third month I was running 5k. I got to see improvement every time I went out for a run and it really helped me to keep going with it. 

Obviously I hopped back on the cig, but I do plan to try again over the Christmas holidays.

I think that goes along with most that try to quit - the fact that it isn't a one and done and usually takes quite a few times. It's tougher than hell and life will throw you so many excuses to pick them back up again. Some are lucky, others just need to go through it a few times. I have only been smoking about 8 years. I started being an actual "smoker" around 18 when I got this new job at a pipe mill. So while I don't have the length like some do, it's still 8 years of a nasty addiction/habit that's a massive pain in the ass to quit. I've done it a few times and my most recent one before this has so far been my most successful. I used Champex and managed to quit for 3 months. It worked really well. You did not want nor like the taste of cigarettes but it did give you some pretty good dreams, made you sick to your stomach and a little angry (some people get very depressed etc on it I guess). I too quit for about three months before I eventually started have "one here and there" with the guys at work when they offered me and eventually that led back into smoking mostly normally again.

This time around - it's been mentally challenging. It's almost like I'm quitting smoking with a side of like.. maybe just mental exhaustion? I am definitely not depressed but sometimes shit gets to be a lot. I don't drink anymore, quit weed in September, quit smoking a month ago, have done my best to kick sugar, caffeine and sodium out of my diet as much as possible (I was much more intense before with sugar and sodium especially lol) and I mean, my girlfriends health stuff and the big elephant in the room, COVID! So I've definitely had my obstacles but you just need a mission, a goal, support and fucking do it. Keep it in your head. Even when you don't have cravings, focus on it. Say it in your head. That way when cravings and such do come, it's much more simpler because you're not only practicing it while you're struggling, but also succeeding and it becomes a part of that lifestyle as well.

Best of luck and let me know if and when you do - or if you ever need anything. When you really think of it, yes it is nice, but damn it's a dirty habit - both financially and health-wise. 

Edited by Banackock

7 hours ago, MattyIce said:

You keep this up sir.  I'm 7 years smoke free, it's a journey that starts somewhere, but it has to start and must be seen through.  We have your back, friend 😁

Hell ya brother. Good to hear. 7 years is very impressive. I hope I can make it there :) 

• Senior Admin
5 hours ago, Banackock said:

46102875-DBEE-4670-89AF-B2EF37CE8D95.thumb.png.bad38239dbdc704846e51a85a4122f72.png

💪🏻💪🏻

Nice going dude. I don't have any personal experience quitting cigs but I was a dip guy through most of my university years and it was (obviously) a tough thing to kick. Those first 30 days or so were the toughest dealing with both the mental cravings and physical symptoms of withdrawal. That's not to say it was easy after that but if you've made it 43 days, you can can certainly tackle this long-term :)

For me the biggest thing in fighting urges was keeping the health aspect top of mind. Leading up to it I had been thinking about quitting for awhile and one day when I was running low I just said enough is enough, for the sake of my mouth. So I finished my last tin and haven't touched it since. I don't have a date but that was sometime around spring of 2017.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, Bana here. Honestly never thought I’d make it this long. I thought it would be a week of trying, then just giving in, having a smoke at work with the boys and then just smoking again. 4 months as of just a bit ago from my last smoke, nicotine or anything - cold turkey! 

33BC8206-B2FF-4595-8AF8-8BD62CF07101.jpeg.f475c2a05e85838bc87bad1c463faa29.jpeg77DD1159-748B-424E-B854-FE249F59BF73.jpeg.023dad88bcb9d83d88142b991b76e899.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Banackock said:

Hi, Bana here. Honestly never thought I’d make it this long. I thought it would be a week of trying, then just giving in, having a smoke at work with the boys and then just smoking again. 4 months as of just a bit ago from my last smoke, nicotine or anything - cold turkey! 

33BC8206-B2FF-4595-8AF8-8BD62CF07101.jpeg.f475c2a05e85838bc87bad1c463faa29.jpeg77DD1159-748B-424E-B854-FE249F59BF73.jpeg.023dad88bcb9d83d88142b991b76e899.jpeg

Awesome dude! Keep it up!

• 2 months later...

Hey all,

Its crazy to think that when I first made a post here I was a month into quitting smoking cold turkey (no vapes, smokes, nicotine or anything). I still struggle from time to time depending on what’s going on.. maybe a bad day at work, feeling the effects of booze or out and about adventuring outside.. much less than at the start but I’ve realized it’s gonna be a lifetime  thing I’ll be defeating. 

My latest big time craving was last week.. was fishing with my brother in some mountain streams and his vape was sitting there. I used to hit it from time to time and it popped in my head “Ah, I’ve done so well. I want a hit. It’s only one” and for a minute or so I kind of fought with myself trying to convince my brain “it’s only just one” but then also convincing myself “it always starts as one.. then next time it’s just one more, I have this no worries.. and then one more again, again, again”... it was a pretty tough battle but I didn’t do it because I know it had to be zero and not “just one, just now”. 

I am happy. I have negative health effects still but much, much less.. (I’ve been working on my diet next but that’s almost harder than smoking lmao).. I sleep much better and don’t get the heart palpitations feeling even remotely close to as what I did.. good stuff.. 

As ever, if you’re trying to quit, don’t be afraid to reach out to me or anyone I’m sure.. talk in here if you want.. it’s a pain in the ass to quit and a shadow that will follow you always but you can 100% do it. Stats below and super cool to see the $ I’ve saved and what I’ve put it to! 

E7F44BEA-BAB1-409D-BD11-31B4D67F437A.thumb.jpeg.2e2ec6e31d56fb8319c850e38b4cd42c.jpeg7A46E6C3-B1CE-4F1A-9BA1-31E0B7CAD78F.jpeg.317a888eb24e319c9c0b612311e7903c.jpeg7C103564-E05B-41B5-BE19-BD4211BAA5A6.thumb.jpeg.84a6a25087b0aa4c1245f910e1c027da.jpeg

Edited by Banackock

3 hours ago, Banackock said:

Hey all,

Its crazy to think that when I first made a post here I was a month into quitting smoking cold turkey (no vapes, smokes, nicotine or anything). I still struggle from time to time depending on what’s going on.. maybe a bad day at work, feeling the effects of booze or out and about adventuring outside.. much less than at the start but I’ve realized it’s gonna be a lifetime  thing I’ll be defeating. 

My latest big time craving was last week.. was fishing with my brother in some mountain streams and his vape was sitting there. I used to hit it from time to time and it popped in my head “Ah, I’ve done so well. I want a hit. It’s only one” and for a minute or so I kind of fought with myself trying to convince my brain “it’s only just one” but then also convincing myself “it always starts as one.. then next time it’s just one more, I have this no worries.. and then one more again, again, again”... it was a pretty tough battle but I didn’t do it because I know it had to be zero and not “just one, just now”. 

I am happy. I have negative health effects still but much, much less.. (I’ve been working on my diet next but that’s almost harder than smoking lmao).. I sleep much better and don’t get the heart palpitations feeling even remotely close to as what I did.. good stuff.. 

As ever, if you’re trying to quit, don’t be afraid to reach out to me or anyone I’m sure.. talk in here if you want.. it’s a pain in the ass to quit and a shadow that will follow you always but you can 100% do it. Stats below and super cool to see the $ I’ve saved and what I’ve put it to! 

E7F44BEA-BAB1-409D-BD11-31B4D67F437A.thumb.jpeg.2e2ec6e31d56fb8319c850e38b4cd42c.jpeg7A46E6C3-B1CE-4F1A-9BA1-31E0B7CAD78F.jpeg.317a888eb24e319c9c0b612311e7903c.jpeg7C103564-E05B-41B5-BE19-BD4211BAA5A6.thumb.jpeg.84a6a25087b0aa4c1245f910e1c027da.jpeg

Proud of you Bana! Way to go man!

• 5 months later...

67ED2F57-C1E2-4CA5-88B9-A7D55D2BEC68.thumb.png.d857e9ef98ded65f02aaff7e2770f177.pngy5BBF5F17-96AA-4122-AE73-E1239453D6CD.jpeg.5063a8d024360fcc4803c38c76eb2b55.jpeg

Hello, it’s been awhile since I open this. I didn’t read the OP again but as I’m sure I had to of mentioned, I had quit one time prior with a prescription called CHAMPEX. I made it 3 months. When I quit this time cold turkey (no vapes, smokes, gum, nicotine, patches or anything) I honestly probably didn’t think I’d make it because I couldn’t make it with the help of a prescription that allegedly is somewhat successful in assisting with quitting. 

I’ve had a stressful last while I guess. Girlfriend had the pains, the tumour, the cancer diagnosis. Covid and lock downs, restrictions and societal divide. Work has been extremely stressful - I work with right wingers, racist albertans who are obviously anti-mask, covid, movements etc that love to spread their extremely far fetched conspiracies that they find in the dark corners of Facebook. Work too has been extremely busy and hectic working my normal 10 day shifts, on call 24 hours a day.. example - 3 shifts ago on the final day I worked  A 20 hour day with a call out… the shift after my final day was 16.5 hours… so 36.5 hours in 2 damn days… today is fortunately my last day of this stretch… We got a new puppy - which he’s adorable but man, he makes me so happy and appreciate of our 3 year old Doberman.. 

but, there’s good in it all. My girlfriend did her last round of chemotherapy on last Halloween (not this most recent) and in December she received the good news with check ups every few months since… her hairs even comeback very quickly!! Covid is still apart of our days but seems slightly better with hope now! Work is still shit!! Lmao.. and my puppy is our puppy.. but not even 48 hours into bringing him home, I taught him to sit.. flash forward a month later and he has sit, lay and very minor leash training.. and is working some more on lay and now slowly being taught spin.. 

AND FINALLY.. didn’t think I’d make it and I am about 9 hours early from my last cigarette I ever smoked a year ago.. but today is the day. ONE YEAR! My girlfriend’s mom just messaged me and wished me “Congrats on your 1 yr anniversary of being a non smoker ****..so proud of you and I believe I'm ready!!!   You can be my sponsor  😉 ” as I told her a couple days ago when visiting..  makes me happy and proud and it’s crazy I made it.. $3,700 bucks saved blah blah.. woo hoo!! Still can’t believe I did it!! Fuck yeah!! 

Excited Ric Flair GIF