Nick's Picks #9 VHL expansion talks

NickSunderbruch

I'm aware that expansion in the VHL isn't going to happen, It's already a large enough league. However I want to touch on this subject again, because I have some pretty decent ideas and I think you'll like them. So sit back, grab a beer, relax, and enjoy this here article that has absolutely no fluff designed to make the article reach the minimum amount of words needed to claim a PT. So here's a top 5 list of cities that we could potentially add to the lineup in the Victory Hockey League.

1.Denver Colorado

I think the market for hockey in Colorado is huge. I mean kids play street hockey all the time,

Also the city is close enough to Canada to attract potential Canadian fans. 

Denver has a population of 716,000, which might not be too much, but its enough to support a team.

Denver had a pretty good football team for a while too, The Broncos used to be great.

I think the success of their football team in the past proves that we could have a very successful VHL team there

Potential names for Denver would be; The Blizzards, The Mile High Club, or The Stoners.

2.Dublin Ireland

This city might be a weird one to y'all, but hear me out.

If we sell beer, and maybe liquor in the stadium, the Irish fans will go INSANE. 

I mean come on, the Irish love getting drunk and fighting, I'm sure that hockey would do well there with a major league presence.

Dublin has a population of 1.2 million people, which is a fairly decent market size.

Dublin is known for their beautiful cathedrals, amazing pubs, and haunted places.

Obviously a potential name for the team could be The Shamrocks.

A few other potential names goes as follows; The Dubliners, The Fighting Irish, The Guinness Book of Hockey Records.

A few other places in Ireland that could support a VHL team would be, Cork, Kilkenny, and Letterkenny.

3.Rio Brazil

Rio de Janeiro is a beautiful city with a rich culture, and potentially the next spot for an expansion team.

Rio has a population of 6 million people, and that's a big market.

Rio de Janeiro is known best for its beautiful beaches, stunning mountains, and wonderful rich native culture.

I think a few names for the team could go as follows; The Missionaries, The Carnivals, or The Macaws.

I think the potential revenue from tourism in this city alone would be enough to support a VHL team, and maybe even be enough to thrive in.

The market in Rio might be different than some other cities but it's absolutely there.

4.Kyiv Ukraine

Kyiv is a beautiful city full of rich Ukrainian culture and beautiful architecture.

The population is 2.8 million and rising, this means that the market is growing.

Being close to Russia has it's perks, and liking hockey is one of them.

Not only is Kyiv an ideal place for a team, it's an ideal place to hold potential winter classic games on outdoor ice.

Kyiv is best known for the babushka doll, and for being a culture icon of Eastern Europe.

I believe that a team in the Ukraine only nets benefit for the league, as it's a place where the KHL is already popular.

Possible names for would be weird, as all the research I've done for team names here, there's only teams named after locations and other things of the sort.

So I'm not entirely sure what a team name could be besides, The Slavs, or the Babushkas.

5.Tampa Florida

Yeah I know we have a VHLM team in Florida, however, I think a major team here would be amazing.

Tampa is a city I'm very familiar with, as I lived there for a long time.

The city of Tampa frequently expands and annexes smaller areas around them, and because of that the population continues to grow.

The metropolitan area called the St.Pete Tampa Bay area, has a population of 2.7 million. 

That's a great market size if I say so myself, and the population continues to grow.

Florida has very low taxes, which means that it's an incredibly profitable city.

Tampa is primarily known for, its thunderstorms, its beaches, and its history of Spanish and Italian immigration.

Potential names could be, The Storm (rip arena football I miss u), The Beach Boys, The Gators, and many other things Florida is known for.

So I think this list was pretty complete, and comprehensive at the very least, and a masterpiece at best. I believe that expansion is inevitable, or maybe a team relocates. It also seems as though as I'm writing this, Chicago is actually making a playoff run?? Also before I end this piece I want to go over some other news in the league. The league has begun it's nomination process for the Elembeck memorial trophy. I recommend you nominate someone you think deserves it before it's too late, and it's doesn't matter who you pick as long as you believe that they're fit. Maybe your coach or something, just knowing that someone nominated them even once is enough to make them happy. Also around the league, I believe that potentially teams to look out for will be Toronto, Chicago for some odd reason, and Vancouver. I really think those three are going to surprise the hockey world.

Also in the news, I've officially been clean off coke for over a month and a half to almost 2 months, regardless of this belonging here or not I think it's worth mentioning as I'm very proud of it. And finally I want to say that I think you all look nice and I really like your haircut, give me your barbers number. Anyways hacve a wonderful day everyone, stay warm, stay icey, happy new year, and Seacrest out.

976 words 5,358 characters.

Stockholm, Edmonton, Beijing, Tokyo, Denver/Colorado, Anaheim, Boston or fo back to Cologne woo. 

Ireland would kind of be neat honestly. 

Bratislava moving on up? Saint Petersburg? Maybe Australia? Paris would be awesome for LONDON! :) 

9/10

Nice article. I liked the fact that you did research and explained why each location could work. Especially your knowledge about Tampa was a cool read. No wonder the Lightning is doing so well, low taxes sounds great! Also, congratulations on the 1.5 months!

A small improvement could be the addition of pictures of some kind to spice things up, but great work!

(If you add 50-100 words more, you could reach 1000 words and in return claim this same article next week as well! (Comment: ''Claim 4.1-10.1'' and link that as a claim if you end up adding more words)

Edited by jRuutu

Nice job on this article man. It's laid our really well which makes it easy to read and you make decent cases for the places to actually become expansion VHL teams (Personally, I think Dublin would be class to have as a team or even Glasgow, think they have a team in the Pro-AM this year .). Overall, very well done Nick. 

9/10