Groovy Dood the Vet

bigAL

It's the offseason after S75, and we find Groovy Dood in his happy place, reflecting on the career that was and will be.

It's been a rough few weeks diary. Everything that's happened so far has come with a but.

We got hot at the right time to make it to the playoffs, but it only happened once I took a backseat in scoring.

We had a cinderella run to the Continental Cup Finals, but I played like shit.

I was nominated for the Boulet, but I didn't get a single vote.

But, but, but, that's going to change. This is my team now.

Sure, I was a rookie these past few seasons, but I wasn't a damn wallflower. I wasn't top line material, but I was carrying a hawt second line for the last two seasons. I wasn't a leader in the room, but I was watching legends like Benny Graves, Guy Lesieur, and Lance Flowers be leaders. With those three in a room, there's not much air left for the rest of us. So I watched and bided my time.

But now, Lance is gone. Benny and Guy are inches away from getting put in a home. X shit talked me one too many times and is on his way out. I didn't like the cut of Willis' jib and now he's on waivers. I'm done my rookie contract, and I'm done being a rookie. It's Dood o'clock in DC.

I got moved up to the first line in the playoffs, and I don't ever plan on dropping lower than that. I'm the best forward on the team by a mile and management knows it. Now, the expectation is that I add some more bite to my bark. I've started leading off-season workouts with some guys like Ove and some of the prospects, just to remind everyone who's in charge around here. It's a vets responsibility to teach the young'uns how to train, how to play, and how to live. They're going to learn the Dragon way: beer and bourbon are out, clear liquors only; smoking is awful for the lungs, so juuls and vaping hash oil only. Oh yeah, and the classic you're late if you're not early, and stretchiness is next to godliness.

GM did some retooling, but we have the pieces in place to become even more successful this season. We have the reigning goal scorer and the top goalie in the league. We got two experienced defensemen so far in the offseason. And now, Groovy Dood is ready to put these pieces together into something greather than the whole. It takes a guy who's seen some shit to overcome shit. I can't sit back and watch Benny Graves put up MVP numbers anymore. I can't be gliding on the back-check knowing Wolski is there to bail my ass out. By playing like a star who gives a shit, I teach the rest of the team what we expect in DC.

This is the year we put it all together. We had the leading goal scorer and 3 forwards in the top 15 scoring. We have the best goalie in the league. And now, we have Groovy Dood stepping up and taking ownership of the team. The failures of the S75 playoffs are mine, and I'm going to turn it around.

It's what a good veteran does.