Robert Bouchard - The Rookie (Experience)

Gaikoku-hito

Jesse Barnes - When Snowflakes Fall - Christ-Centered Art

Snowflakes falling all around as he skate on the pond not too far from his family house but far enough away that he cannot hear if his parents call him.  One would expect this to be start of story about a young kid living out his hero’s dreams while skating in the snow behind his house but it isn’t. This is about Rookie Robert Bouchard; the season in the VHLM has just wrapped up with his VHLM team Philadelphia Reapers winning the Founder’s Cup.

“Snowflakes” laughs Bouchard as he looks up into the sky. “Nice reminder that I haven’t earned anything yet; have I?”. Said more to himself then to anyone in particular.

“This is going to be a tough season; isn’t it?” added the Rookie center, who should be joining Prague Phantoms this season.

“Okay, I am ready. Let talk over by the hut so that we can be warmed by the fire” Bouchard stated as he skated toward the hut at the side of the lake at the bottom of the hill. Sitting down and rubbing his hands through his hair he starts,” This isn’t going to be like anything else I have done before. This is start of my dream coming true. When I skate out onto the ice for the first time, the season opener, It is going to be emotional. I will need to remember to take it all in. Take my time and look around as I can only do this once for the first time.” Looking off into the distance across the pond.

“I will need to earn everything as I am not unique in the fact that many before me have already done this. I need to earn everything and not feel entitled. Keep my emotions in check while simple remembering that I have trained for this my whole life. I am ready to be a rookie in the VHL.” Again stated more to himself rather then anyone else in particular.

“Expectations for the season?” repeated the center from Prague as if hearing the question for the first time. “I really don’t have any. I know it is going to be a challenging season as any rookie season usually is. I don’t know the league so I am going to have my good games, bad game and games simply when I am not a factor but as long as I have more good games then bad it will be a good season. I am not expected to carry the team and it is a learning season.” Added Bouchard. “I really hope that we make the play-offs and that I can contribute to the team as best as I can.”

“I just need to remember that everyone starts as a Rookie, right?” Bouchard stated as he started to stare off across the pound again.

(473 words)

Edited by Gaikoku-hito