Veteran Presence - Lester B. Green

Smarch

5uZDWps.png

Lester Green - 3rd Year Los Angeles Star Defenseman

Now entering his third season in the Victory Hockey League with the Los Angeles Star, defenseman Lester Green is already one of the elder members of the expansion franchise. Currently there appears to be a re-acquiring theme for Green and the stars as he heads into a contact year and a veteran VHL contract, that is the team and Green are struggling and needs some veteran leadership.

When Green entered the VHL as a rookie in Season Seventy-Four, expectations might have been low for the Thirteenth Overall pick in that past off-seasons VHL Entry draft, but now Green needs to dig deep inside to find something he has yet to show. Although Green wasn’t announced as a member of the leadership group in Los Angeles this season, but now as earlier stated a third year player in the league needs to bring that veteran presence on and off the ice. Green has been seen more frequently early on talking part in the day to day discussion around the locker-room, while also trying to encourage his teammates to practice. Those two things alone are huge steps Green has intended to take his year as a veteran of the roster.  While Greens on ice veteran presence does not include lighting up the scoresheet each night he says his experience can help in other ways.

“When you are losing as much as we have been the last three seasons, you can start to feel the guys quickly lose faith once we get down in games. While I would love to win a championship with the Stars, I understand there is going to be lots of ups and downs, and more downs of course with a franchise that just started. I can be that sounding board for the new guys on the roster and bring it to the other veteran members of the team having been here now those three seasons. I feel like that’s where my veteran leadership could really shine through. I’m obviously not the greatest rah-rah, smash a few hundred dollars’ worth of hardware in the locker-room kind of player, but I’ll listen to you no mater your experience in the league and that can also just be comforting for the younger guys as a veteran.”

“One other thing about being a veteran is, I’m a little more flush in the bank than some of the younger guys around the locker-room, so a have a little calendar that has everyone’s birthdays on it this year, so I’ll be looking out for those guys, getting them a little veteran surprise on that day.

431 Words