Recruitment in San Diego

thadthrasher

Interesting Recruitment out of San Diego

TennisWorldUSA is looking for editors: come and join us!

S76 marks the very first season that @thadthrasher began his tenure as management of a VHLM team. After the VHLM Commissioners decided to give thadthrasher the job, he faced an interesting challenge. Not only was he inheriting a team that had the same GM since it's inaugural season, but the end of S75 saw a large movement of players from the San Diego Marlins to either the VHL or Free Agency and Draft. Needless to say, thadthrasher came in as the new manager of a tough situation, and he's had to think quickly.

Between thadthrasher and San Diego's Assistant General Manager (Assistant to the General Manager as they say in San Diego) @Prout, San Diego has reached out to nearly ever new prospect that has come into the league this season. Offering competative ice-time, some have taken on the challenge and are pushing hard to excel themselves beyond everyone else. They have claimed that this motivation comes not only from a desire to raise their draft rating, but because thadthrasher and Prout are always willing to help them work through their training. These two have definitely been very hands on!

One of the more unique moves out of San Diego was the creation of a particular recruitment video that has been sent to nearly every new prospect. You can check that video out by clicking here. When asked why he made the video, thadthrasher said,

I kept seeing that every other GM or AGM was posting really well-written and convincing offers. I just couldn't match anything that they were doing, so I decided to go a step further and make a video. Basically, I wanted the new prospects to see the face of their manager, know how much they would mean to our team, and show them how much time and effort I would be willing to pour into them. I'm not just here to take a back seat, I'm here to work and make great players.

Some around the league have loved the video and the effort by thadthrasher and Prout, while others in management have found themselves a bit irritated by the work ethic and zeal of these two managers. There have been some serious words thrown around, including these by Mexico City's AGM @Juice who said very publicly,

Do not think that I didn't see you. With your videos and instant recruitment posting on every newly created player.

Grabbing all the waiver players instantly as they post them without them knowing there are more options out there.

Making it hard for us new AGM's trying to do their job as good as they can and make a name for themselves in this league.

I know you are also doing your job trying to make the Marlins better, but you know what?

No.

Just no.

I have had a enough.

I've had enough of everyone accepting your offer in about an hour before I can even make my post.

Nonetheless, no matter how envious others around the league have been, thadthrasher's drive to make the San Diego Marlins a great team hasn't just stopped at the random incoming prospects, it's extended to friends and family.

As I was eating dinner with my wife and friends I realized that almost all of them loved hockey. They were interested in what the team was up to, always asking questions, and it led me to say, "Well, why not join the team?" It seemed silly at first, but since the VHLM is really a developmental league there was no reason to not make the offer. Just asking friends and family I was able to bring in:

@LuluSalesAway

@Eldredman (picked up in a trade)

@Justin Burg

@Gretzky didnt lift da puck

And newly signed @Herradura

Sure, some may have a problem with it, but I'm growing the community and introducing new people to the sport that we all love.

Much like the New York American's unorthodox goaltender, Thadius Sales, we are seeing that thadthrasher (who happens to share the same legal name) is also unorthodox in his recruitment and management style. While it has been a rough start for San Diego, you can see the team growing in strength and grit. It may not seem like San Diego is much this season, but we all expect them to grow into something that will be unstoppable, a force to be reckoned with.

----

732 words, claiming for week ending 31 Jan 2021

Great media spot. Lots of in depth information on the start of your first season as a GM in the VHLM. Great to hear GM's are trying different things to get noticed and have players sign with them (the video!). The only thing that kind of threw me off was the way you incorporated the quotes, maybe in the future try to blend them in better by not using the quote drop down.

9/10 Great work!