Graphic/Media Spot/Podcast Ranking System

THE IDEA

I think - to improve upon the submissions in both graphics and media spots as well as driving the constant development of better skills and creativity - a ranking system should be developed and utilized. This idea would allow for the awarding of top media spot or top graphic for the week and possibly month. Only certain categories would be subject to this ranking system, meaning the main Point Tasks. Additionally, this award would come with a TPE bonus of a certain amount attributed as an uncapped claim. In doing so, this ranking system would create an increased drive to put forth better and better efforts into submissions across the forum.

INTRODUCTION

As I've come into the league, I've noticed a fair amount of rather subpar submissions across multiple fronts. I understand a new user who has yet to really shine putting out their first few point tasks, but when a user continuously does the bare minimum to acquire TPE it can be a bit frustrating to many. Some new users also tend to shy away once they see the levels of creativity, skill, or fluency posted by some of the more seasoned VHL forum members. This barrier of skill vs effort creates a "bubble" of what many users read and view. It's not that new users or first time creators are ignored for their posts. It's the fact that only a small level of effort garners you the same amount of TPE as a rather tedious submission. Therefore, many users move towards the low effort approach and skirt the line between acceptable and unacceptable to gain TPE.

There needs to be a divide for this effort. If a different TPE "tier" exists, it will prompt many users to put in a new amount of effort to gain more TPE. Having the possibility of potentially boosting your TPE for the week from your Point Task could really improve on what is submitted. Sure there will always be people who submit the lowest amount of effort; there are plenty of users who rely on welfare or job pay. But to really push for high levels of creativity, this ranking system could really change things for this forum.

STRUCTURE

So what would this ranking system look like? Well to begin with, users would still get 6 TPE for a Point Task. But each point task when submitted will be added to a "pool" of total submissions for the week. Once the week passes, a committee will assemble a group of standout submissions to be selected for the top posts of that week. Once this list is chosen, each category will be listed as a vote for a small period of time where other users can vote on who had the best Graphic, Media Post, and Podcast. Each of the top 3 submissions from each category will be awarded bonus TPE for their stellar work: 1 TPE for 3rd place, 2 TPE for 2nd place, and 3 TPE for 1st place. This process would then continue weekly and so on.

Monthly awards, depending on if this idea brings fruition, could bring additional TPE as well as an achievement for the users post to be added into a "Vault" of the greatest forum submission for each category. These posts would not only serve as recognition for the user who created them but a guideline to future members of the forum to shoot for if they want all of that TPE. The process for voting would be similar to that of the weekly process but only focus on each of the 4 weekly winners pitted against each other in their respected categories for one final vote. The winner of the monthly award would gain an additional 6 TPE for the best submission for the month.

DISCUSSION

Wouldn't this system lead to a group of users who constantly show up in the top selections?

Potentially. But think of it as something like the College Football Playoffs here in the USA. Yeah, Alabama and Clemson may be there nearly every season in the top. But it's the magical moment when an underdog swoops in and beats them that everyone loves to see. And that idea can very well happen in this setting. Someone completely new could post their magnum opus that shatters the competition. It's that drive that I believe will push many members to continuously improve and create better things for the forum to push for that extra award and TPE.

I feel like this idea will burn people out from really trying hard.

It just may. However, there will always be 6 TPE for each Point Task submission that will suit everyone as normal. Even those with welfare or job pay can continue going on that route. But I know there are individuals in this league that strive for better with each post they create. It won't be everyone who wants to participate in this, but I feel that introducing a ranking system will bring out the best in many of us.

Why in the world would I want to put in so much effort for a few more TPE?

Not only would a few more TPE add up over a period of time if you continuously submit excellent work, but AGMs and GMs notice players who really put in a high level of effort week by week. This ranking system could serve as a scouting structure as well; new individuals who really push to create better content will be more sought after by VHL teams. So an increase in effort = potentially more TPE, more desire to be drafted, and a better outcome for your player. And it's entirely choice based. There's nothing saying that you have to compete with each post. You can be a welfare player and still enjoy the amenities of the VHL.

CONCLUSION

A ranking and award system for Point Tasks would bring a multitude of benefits to the forum. It would not be required, and players can still go about their VHL days doing what they normally do. But having that extra level of TPE awards for those who love to create and push themselves will bring about a whole new level of Elite forum users, a unique way of identifying which members will have a long career in the VHL and now drop out, and a future guideline for new users to strive for as they begin submitting point tasks themselves.

Granted, this idea is merely that: and idea. There may be flaws in its design or overall structure and I welcome any criticism or additional discussion regarding this topic. I hope this ranking system can spark a continued effort to better the league in new and exciting ways, lifting the VHL higher in every possible way.

Thanks for reading!

I think there's a fine line between recognizing good work (which should be a thing) and handing out TPE to the same few people every week (which shouldn't).

Imagine this system being put into place with graphics--gorlab would clean up. I've put solid effort into trying to improve my sig-making skills for about a whole year now, I'm better than most people if you select someone in the community at random, and I'd be lucky to crack the top 3 on any given week. There's no way that with something like that we wouldn't see the same people basically getting a higher weekly cap. Same with podcasts--we have very few podcasts, so we'd see very few people even eligible--and therefore the same people winning every week. Even media spots, to a lesser extent--what if you're a high school kid who's seen considerably less of the academic world than many members here, or what if English isn't your first language and the grammar police might jump down your throat for some of what you write, even if the content is good?

With that being said, I'd love for there to be some sort of system of recognition. I'm just not sure attaching TPE to it is the way to go. I guess having content featured on the portal kind of accomplishes that, but not really in a context that anyone pays any attention to. Maybe as part of a VSN thing or something--I'd love to see "content of the week" (with a better name) become a series.

Seeing everyone's reasoning brings me to see that adding TPE to this ranking system might not be the best solution. However, I do feel like in that instance the ranking system could work in a sense of a "spotlight" or VSN posting over a certain period of time. Maybe a focus on finding highlights outside of the top group of submitters would be the best solution.

I appreciate you all who commented with aspects that you liked, didn't like, or had counter points for. Thank you!