My Rookie Season

Sixersfan594

My Rookie Season

usa_sean_couturier_flyers-1024x576.jpg

This rookie season has been interesting, being a late first round pick I was inserted into an extremely well run organization with plenty of great players. While it has been great to be able to go directly to the VHL it has been a challenge since it was not like I was a superstar on the VHLm level. In the VHLm I would barely score and my impact on the ice was practically even on one of the better teams in the league. Scoring early in my rookie season has been amazing as my confidence has exceeded the levels of which I had in the VHLm. While I am currently scoring at a rate of one point every five games, I would consider that as a major success compared to the level I was at in the VHLm. My expectations are somewhat exceeded by my current performance! What I am really looking forward to is my development throughout the rest of the season. I wholly expect to grow even more this season than the current point that I am at.

sean-couturier.jpg

While my expectations were lower in the beginning of the year, I could see towards the end of the year that I could be pushing the pace of potentially registering a point every three games that I play in. My current output came in bunches -- and I was able to be named as the first star of a game. Currently I am a plus 6 and I was higher than that earlier on, I expect other teams to catch up to us and make it harder for the guys on the final few lines. Although this has been fairly optimistic, I am pessimistic regarding how many of my goals could potentially be hit. Although I do expect to be generating more chances, I know it will be truly difficult to see a significant raise in my output given my smaller sample size due to playing time. In addition, I am playing out of position and rarely taking face-offs which means my positioning has been off nearly all year. While I would have loved to have been playing my main position, potentially playing on the wing the first season or two can help me focus on developing rather than dealing with the main offensive threats of the other teams' day in and day out. As a whole, this rookie year has been interesting thus far and I am intrigued to see my growth in the future!