Graphics

Please keep it civil and don't attack the members I mentioned.

I get that the member in question is new and that staff is gonna be more lenient. I just think that eventually these shouldn’t count for 6 TPE.

I am happy that this new member is part of the league and is enjoying it. But look at this.1F4CD296-E8B2-4F56-8CEE-59A46633D9FE.thumb.jpeg.ee95754059f782458558ff3a208f68e3.jpegnAF5B784E-6DE9-44CA-9D56-F5C70AA20D1B.thumb.png.3d4758f2acbbd1c7a4248207db7bfe33.png

This got Luke Thornton suspended without any real warning. Not saying I disagree with the choice. But...

B7217E21-7F84-495A-9E3A-693D77700C52.jpeg.089b95aca24071eeba1df7d4e536060b.jpeg

https://vhlforum.com/topic/99012-nice-job-by-the-storm/

Sure, the member is new. Sure, you should be more lenient. But this is just... ridiculous. I can understand the other 4 graphics this member claimed. I’m not saying graphics shouldn’t be claimed if they look more “beginner” like. Heck, mine can still be considered pretty bad. But at least most “beginner” graphics look like they took some effort. But can we really call this a graphic? It’s literally a wall of text over this wallpaper of McDavid. 

I remember a member named chase facing some heat for his graphics, and he was pretty new as well. But for some reason this counts? I dunno, I’m just a bit confused and would appreciate an explanation.

again, I am not trying to start beef or judge anybody but just a concern because this is 5 weeks in.

Edited by SlapshotDragon

3 hours ago, SlapshotDragon said:

This got Luke Thornton suspended without any real warning. Not saying I disagree with the choice. But...

I'm not going to comment on the specific graphic you mentioned, but just in response to this: JTV only got suspended for this because he has had multiple strikes of plagiarism in the past year now.

I don't disagree with what's being said here, just...maybe not say it publicly and have the rest of the league pile on (even if that wasn't the intent)?

This is probably best brought up with @DollarAndADream in private, or maybe with one of this member's GMs...this is a prospect of mine after all.

I don't want this thread to blow up; I'm here to look out for my players. The Internet can be a great place and it can be a terrible one. I'll talk to the member and give a few pointers; hopefully get their sig skills on a better track. I'd seen graphics of similar caliber (not what would be called "plagiarism" but what certainly qualifies as beginner work) from the member in the past and given a few tips then, and I'll just hit them with a round 2. I'm not going to hang around in this thread or try to police what people say; in fact, I'm probably going to forget about it as soon as I click out of it. All I ask is that we keep it civil here and remember that we're all human beings in this league.

Edited by GustavMattias

41 minutes ago, Enorama said:

I'm not going to comment on the specific graphic you mentioned, but just in response to this: JTV only got suspended for this because he has had multiple strikes of plagiarism in the past year now.

Ah, alright. Thanks for the explanation. I was just a bit confused.

29 minutes ago, SlapshotDragon said:

Ah, alright. Thanks for the explanation. I was just a bit confused.

All good. When it comes to quality of submissions, we never ban the first time around. There's multiple steps beforehand, usually starting with approval + warning, then rejection + warning, then moving up from there.

8 hours ago, GustavMattias said:

I don't disagree with what's being said here, just...maybe not say it publicly and have the rest of the league pile on (even if that wasn't the intent)?

This is probably best brought up with @DollarAndADream in private, or maybe with one of this member's GMs...this is a prospect of mine after all.

I don't want this thread to blow up; I'm here to look out for my players. The Internet can be a great place and it can be a terrible one. I'll talk to the member and give a few pointers; hopefully get their sig skills on a better track. I'd seen graphics of similar caliber (not what would be called "plagiarism" but what certainly qualifies as beginner work) from the member in the past and given a few tips then, and I'll just hit them with a round 2. I'm not going to hang around in this thread or try to police what people say; in fact, I'm probably going to forget about it as soon as I click out of it. All I ask is that we keep it civil here and remember that we're all human beings in this league.

Of course, I have no ill intent. I probably should have brought this up in private. Again, I'm glad that the member is part of the community and I do wanna see them improve and enjoy the experience, especially seeing as they seem like they are having a lot of fun in this league. Heck, I've had my fair share of controversy with my low-effort memes that I claimed for 2 TPE and even I admit they were a mistake. To everybody reading this thread, please don't attack the member or anybody else mentioned. We are a community and at the end of the day, we're all having fun. Also, I respect that you made the choice to look out for your players. I'll be sure to make a better decision next time. But yeah, thanks for this. :)

On 2/6/2021 at 4:15 PM, SlapshotDragon said:

I get that the member in question is new and that staff is gonna be more lenient. I just think that eventually these shouldn’t count for 6 TPE.

I am happy that this new member is part of the league and is enjoying it. But look at this.1F4CD296-E8B2-4F56-8CEE-59A46633D9FE.thumb.jpeg.ee95754059f782458558ff3a208f68e3.jpegnAF5B784E-6DE9-44CA-9D56-F5C70AA20D1B.thumb.png.3d4758f2acbbd1c7a4248207db7bfe33.png

Sure, the member is new. Sure, you should be more lenient. But this is just... ridiculous. I can understand the other 4 graphics this member claimed. I’m not saying graphics shouldn’t be claimed if they look more “beginner” like. Heck, mine can still be considered pretty bad. But at least most “beginner” graphics look like they took some effort. But can we really call this a graphic? It’s literally a wall of text over this wallpaper of McDavid. 

I remember a member named chase facing some heat for his graphics, and he was pretty new as well. But for some reason this counts? I dunno, I’m just a bit confused and would appreciate an explanation.

again, I am not trying to start beef or judge anybody but just a concern because this is 5 weeks in.

I 100% agree. Text over top of a picture from Google can only cut it for so long. Newer members can get a pass a few times, but there has to be some effort after that.

Although as mentioned, this could have been brought up internally to the updaters, me, or the blues, etc. Sometimes an updater will approve a graphic, not knowing that the majority of it isn't their work. I don't see everything on the site either, and things can slip through the cracks. Both the McDavid and Gaudreau ones are somewhat acceptable for a first or second graphic, but outside of that, rules are rules and you can't just download a picture and throw some text over it every week. If that's the case, then just start writing Media Spot articles.

It took me a long time on VHL to be able to post graphics for 6 TPE personally. I used to do Media Spots every single week because my graphics all sucked, and this was when things were graded and not reviewed. You had to have a pretty good graphic on Photoshop in order to get a pass. Things are obviously easier now, and you get some learning curve passes initially.

On 2/6/2021 at 7:15 PM, SlapshotDragon said:

easy

those are only 2 TPE

Real effort can be 6