VHL Mental Health Initiative

Laine

This is something I've wanted to do for a while, and with recent events not only in the league but in my personal life, I've decided now is a great time.

I'm planning on beginning the VHL's first (to my knowledge, which isn't a lot) mental health initiative. I've talked to quite a few members about helping this thing gain some traction, so I hope it is able to do that.

Times are tough right now. COVID has made our lives a lot harder and mental health numbers are higher than normal. I just want to put it out there, you are not alone. If you need help, there are many members around the league who are willing to help you and a lot of resources available. I'm hoping to create a discord server that has some resources in it and where people can just talk. If you are struggling, people will listen without judgement. The best thing you can do is talk now and reach out. It seems scary, especially if it feels embarrassing to ask for help, but it is the best option for you in the long run. I'll put a few resources here that I received from @Emi.

One resource is a free app called Wysa. The app allows you to talk to a friendly AI penguin who listens to your thoughts, helps you get them into order, and gives you a few simple exercises to resolve your problems. 
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=bot.touchkin&hl=en_GB&gl=US

If you do not have google play, I am sure there are similar apps available to you. 

Futhermore, there's a discord group ran by people who want to take care of your mental health, you can get one to one conversations with medical professionals OR just people who want to help and you can talk to them about your worries. 
https://discord.gg/thehaven

Finally, this next resource is only for users in the UK. If you put the name of your GP surgery into this page on the NHS website it will tell you which free counselling services there are in your area. Most of the time you don't have to speak to a GP first before signing up for the services. 
https://www.nhs.uk/service-search/find-a-psychological-therapies-service/

There will be a resource board in the server. Feel free to add any resources you think will be helpful. 

I'm hoping this can spread around the league so people know they aren't alone in their fight.

If the idea to create a server is a good one, I can start it. However, I will not moderate heavily as it will be for the community's benefit. That being said, if anything that is uploaded is deemed inappropriate, it will be removed immediately.

Also, on this thread, if you have any thoughts, feel free to empty them. I want to know how people are doing and how me and others can help.

There's also psychology today where you can put in your postcode/zip code and get a bunch back about therapy in your area. 

Never, feel alone and if you need help please message me