My small gripes with the VHL

Berocka

Career Point tasks, the fact that these have now become time based is a little bit inconvenient. I always have preferred the old way of doing it where you just get to do your rookie profile and biography. Speaking of the biography why was this removed, this was my favourite article to read, hearing the people’s back stories and it being removed from hockey most of the time made it more interesting to me. I really liked the role playing aspect of the career task rather than make up how good your player was at hockey before the VHL.

Goalies also need to be looked at, currently we have 12 VHLM teams and 16 VHL teams that is currently 24 spaces for Goalies in the VHLM (before Juniors) and 32 in the VHL. Now when you realise that your career in the VHL lasts at least 4 times longer than your career in the VHLM, you can see that there seems to be an issue. If you have 5 goalies hit the draft class every season and lets say that you only play 7 seasons in the VHL than you are going to be short by 3 spaces as well as 16 people having to play a back up role. A potential solution is allowing a goalie a free one time buy before the draft to move to a skating role.

• Commissioner
7 hours ago, Berocka said:

Career Point tasks, the fact that these have now become time based is a little bit inconvenient.

Yeah people were asking for this at the time but going through a full career cycle with them now I don’t care for it either. Makes me completely forget about them instead of likely forgetting about them.

Speaking of the biography why was this removed

It wasn’t. Bios need to be done at the end of a career (as makes sense since why would you biography a rookie) and the S70 class is the first one with the new rules so no one has hit the new bio yet. It’s still there. Guidelines can be found here and if I recall (though I’d need to go digging) the TPE for it might carry over to full to have more effect. I know that was the intention but not sure it survived.

A potential solution is allowing a goalie a free one time buy before the draft to move to a skating role.

I feel like I we were doing that, at least for awhile.

Goalies have kinda always regulated themselves by the simple fact that the math doesn’t account for activity. Not all of those numbers remain active and even fewer remain active enough to be in a starting role. It’s possible that self regulation isn’t doing enough these days but it has always worked itself out.

1 hour ago, Beketov said:

It wasn’t. Bios need to be done at the end of a career (as makes sense since why would you biography a rookie) and the S70 class is the first one with the new rules so no one has hit the new bio yet. It’s still there. Guidelines can be found here and if I recall (though I’d need to go digging) the TPE for it might carry over to full to have more effect. I know that was the intention but not sure it survived.

Sure a biography still exists in name but it is a completely different task. I liked to read the backstory of a player, their life and what happened to them. Now it is a career recap, which I can get all the information from them by looking at stats.

1 hour ago, Beketov said:

Goalies have kinda always regulated themselves by the simple fact that the math doesn’t account for activity. Not all of those numbers remain active and even fewer remain active enough to be in a starting role. It’s possible that self regulation isn’t doing enough these days but it has always worked itself out.

This was mainly a word filler, I understand that you can't just make more goalie spots.

11 hours ago, Berocka said:

If you have 5 goalies hit the draft class every season and lets say that you only play 7 seasons in the VHL than you are going to be short by 3 spaces as well as 16 people having to play a back up role. A potential solution is allowing a goalie a free one time buy before the draft to move to a skating role.

I was thinking about this after listening to the VSN podcast that you guys mentioned goalie issue and I never realized it was an true issue until this podcast and I looked into further. I see the issue more once again with GM & AGM aspect of the game placing wins before retention of players as no one wants to be a back-up and not play. So I see the issue as more as playing issue rather then build issue.

Solution would be forcing the 16 VHL teams to have to play their back-up a required amount of game or face penalties. When looking at NHL goalies (and being a former goalie in real life) goalies at most levels of hockey will play around 75% of the teams game if a starter or 25% if a back-up. This is assuming fatigue isn't an issue due to travel or back to back games. Meaning I would start 3 out of 4 games. So over a course of an NHL season 82 games this means a back-up will get at least 20 games or more depending on the schedule and teams standings. so if we applied as similar ruling here a back up would need to be played at least 18 games of the 72 game schedule.

This does a few different things like keeps being a tender actually an option as you know you will get playing time, force VHL teams to carry two solid tenders, force teams to draft tenders as they will be required to have two at least, places more value back into tenders so they don't continue to drop in the draft.

2 hours ago, Gaikoku-hito said:

Solution would be forcing the 16 VHL teams to have to play their back-up a required amount of game or face penalties. When looking at NHL goalies (and being a former goalie in real life) goalies at most levels of hockey will play around 75% of the teams game if a starter or 25% if a back-up. This is assuming fatigue isn't an issue due to travel or back to back games. Meaning I would start 3 out of 4 games. So over a course of an NHL season 82 games this means a back-up will get at least 20 games or more depending on the schedule and teams standings. so if we applied as similar ruling here a back up would need to be played at least 18 games of the 72 game schedule.

There is a required amount of games played for backups. I can’t think of it off the top of my head but I want to say it’s like 12 games..

• Commissioner
53 minutes ago, STZ said:

There is a required amount of games played for backups. I can’t think of it off the top of my head but I want to say it’s like 12 games..

It’s 8/72. Although with more teams getting proper backups that could increase.

8 hours ago, Beketov said:

It’s 8/72. Although with more teams getting proper backups that could increase.

Added to the things that I didn't know. It is good to see that this is at least applied.

Also make sense since all the tenders I looked at last season as back-ups only played 9-10 games

Edited by Gaikoku-hito

16 hours ago, Beketov said:

t wasn’t. Bios need to be done at the end of a career (as makes sense since why would you biography a rookie) and the S70 class is the first one with the new rules so no one has hit the new bio yet. It’s still there. Guidelines can be found here and if I recall (though I’d need to go digging) the TPE for it might carry over to full to have more effect. I know that was the intention but not sure it survived.

...am I the only one who didn't know this?

• Commissioner
6 hours ago, GustavMattias said:

...am I the only one who didn't know this?

Apparently not haha. I guess it’s one of those things that unless you saw the announcement you wouldn’t really realize since they just stopped happening completely at one point but they do still exist, just no one ha been allowed to write one yet.