Saskatoon's Hlozek Nets 49-Second Hattrick Against San Diego

Bojovnik

Jan Hlozek, a rookie defenseman for the Saskatoon Wild, made headlines in Canada after scoring a 49-second hattrick in Thursday's game against the San Diego Marlins.

The Czech blueliner, who has 49 points in 67 games during his first VHLM campaign, lit the lamp at 02:12, 02:22, and 03:01 in the first period of a 7-2 win for the Wild. Saskatoon's top scorer, Braxton Hunter, assisted on all three goals.

Hlozek would go on to score a fourth goal in the 15th minute of the opening frame. The Wild still sit in fifth place of the Western Conference, a position they have held for the bulk of the season.

"It was certainly a crazy game. I can't remember having one like that since junior," Hlozek told reporters after the game.

"I'd like to know if it is a record or something. I'm not sure, but it would be great to go down in the VHLM history books if that is the case," the Czech defenseman added.  

With five games to go in the regular season, the Wild are going to need more of these types of performances from Hlozek to have any chance of overcoming the nine-point deficit they need to qualify for the playoffs.

Edited by Bojovnik