Time for a change in simming

gorlab

1 hour ago, Josh said:

How many weeks are you claiming this for?

For the record, this is NOT Josh's original joke and should be taken as such

Edited by rory

1 minute ago, 16z said:

It's not the fact that we actually believe they're sitting around acting like gods but we as a league deserve results we can all agree with and if more and more people are getting upset something needs to happen to ease our minds, maybe use a new sim engine? 

What are results everyone agrees with? Everyone's player does well? The better team always wins?

People will always be upset about the sim engine. The better team always winning is not enjoyable. Your player (not you specifically, the general 'you') will not always perform up to their TPE. Sometimes, they will overperform their TPE!

Changing the sim engine also effects a ton of other factors with the league. The league is balanced around the current attributes in STHS, the 6 forward, 4 defenseman, and 1 or 2 goalie set up, etc... Change the sim engine, and you change EVERYTHING.

Just now, flyersfan1406 said:

What are results everyone agrees with? Everyone's player does well? The better team always wins?

People will always be upset about the sim engine. The better team always winning is not enjoyable. Your player (not you specifically, the general 'you') will not always perform up to their TPE. Sometimes, they will overperform their TPE!

Changing the sim engine also effects a ton of other factors with the league. The league is balanced around the current attributes in STHS, the 6 forward, 4 defenseman, and 1 or 2 goalie set up, etc... Change the sim engine, and you change EVERYTHING.

Oh thank god we finally have an adult here. I feel like I was taking crazy pills.

1 minute ago, flyersfan1406 said:

By the looks of it, whenever Devise sims 😛

True though and I know changing the engine would be huge but I mean a new version

Idk - I wanna give him the benefit of the doubt. I don’t really think he is but the coincidence of his stats don’t look good. That’s probably it though. Who knows and you never will.

Idk how long live sims take.. but I know things are getting a bit easier for simming? Idk if there’s a way we can do it but at the very least it would get rid of all this silly BS of grouping up on a good staff member lol. 

Again, coincidental no bueno.. but who knows if he is 🤷🏻‍♂️ I’d like to think no. 

Just live sim I guess? Idk. Eventually people are gonna start saying Beketov = Jeff with how good Chicago is. 

7 minutes ago, rory said:

For the record, this is NOT Josh's original joke and should be taken as such

For the record, the original joke in question was also NOT rory's and he made this post on a certain individual's behalf.

NOW GIVE ME ALL THE ATTENTION AND REACTS

2 minutes ago, Sonnet said:

Is that possible? Absolutely. Is the streaming solution foolproof? Absolutely not. Does it add additional hoops to jump through, on top of a task that's already being complained about as "too much of a headache?" Sure does.

You've raised a good point, but we're still raising the bar from "I simmed until I got good ones and posted them" to "I started and stopped a recording of a sim until I got a good one, then made sure to stream the video instead of my stream, while also making sure not to leave any traces that someone could pick up on." Possible indeed, but considering we have someone who's already adverse to the work of streaming, I think everyone would feel at least more comfortable than they did before.

So certainly a good thing to bring up, but I don't think it nullifies the point of streaming sims. TL;DR is it foolproof? No. Would it help Gorlab (among others) sleep a little better at night? Yup.

So you've moved the goalposts. Before it was about making us absolutely certain nothing fishy was up, now it's about making sure we're reasonably sure nothing weird is going on.

99% of the league is reasonably sure nothing weird is going on. Gorlab has a history of hissy fits and conspiracy theories when things don't go his way. He used to insta-retire in the 20s and 30s, now he's found his new favourite method.

Providing one data point and drawing conclusions from it that you can't accurately make are not a good enough reason to make rigging claims. This is the claims of one person who made a post long enough that a few people who have no idea how the scientific method works got on board and people are acting like they've cracked the case wide open. This is not data, it should not be treated as such.

5 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Before it was about making us absolutely certain nothing fishy was up

Here to make the obligatory @fishy joke before somebody else does

Just now, Sonnet said:

Well, yes. You made a good argument that made my initial point pretty unreasonable, so I adjusted my reasoning and came to a different conclusion. People are allowed to change their minds when provided new information- that's learning and adapting.

This to me sounds like there's already a hard bias against gorlab, who I think made a decent enough point that it's worth discussing (as someone who has no dog in this race whatsoever). Part of me thinks that your problem isn't with the issue or solutions themselves, but with the fact that everything is coming from gorlab. This isn't the first time you've brought up his past in these arguments- I don't think that's relevant here at all. Most here are treating a pattern from a hypothetical point of view, and putting forth ideas on how to combat that kind of a scenario.

So you're certainly allowed to disagree with some of the points made, but everything here is irrelevant to discussion. You're right, we shouldn't treat this like data- and we aren't.

my issue is that this is like the 15th time i've seen this out of Gorlab, and it's equally poorly reasoned out every time

1 minute ago, flyersfan1406 said:

Would people be willing to trade off reliable (in terms of daily and usually at around the same time) sims and live streaming sims? I'm going to guess the answer is no, and demanding both is unreasonable.

Before this article hell no, now.. Why not?

39 minutes ago, Jericho said:

The simmers are all dudes in their 30s who have a lot going on and adding a headache because Gorlab is paranoid again isn't worth justifying

But then... why not just get new simmers?

We have 200+ active members now, easily. I'm sure a few of them would be willing to help out and live stream the damned thing.

I am going to give Bek the benefit of the doubt as well. The numbers are very coincidental and do bring up some suspicion but not enough to warrant drastic change.

I agree with those who suggested a live sim. We do an off-season tourney and it is live simmed. It takes very little time to do it and the results are right there for everyone to see. 

No drastic change is needed but that would be the one I could be on board with if this is actually that big of an issue. 

2 minutes ago, Ricer13 said:

I am going to give Bek the benefit of the doubt as well. The numbers are very coincidental and do bring up some suspicion but not enough to warrant drastic change.

I agree with those who suggested a live sim. We do an off-season tourney and it is live simmed. It takes very little time to do it and the results are right there for everyone to see. 

No drastic change is needed but that would be the one I could be on board with if this is actually that big of an issue. 

See this is a totally fine take. There's a difference between "Hey I think live simming is a good idea all the time" and "Beketov definitely cheated and this must be a thing now."

One of those is the thought process of a rational person. The other is a lunatic who loses an argument and immediately jumps into ad-hominum because of his own in built insecurities.