VHL Mod Team Hiring

Baozi

• Head Moderator

Good afternoon VHL,

The VHL Mod team will be introducing several openings to assist in the moderation of both the forum and discord.

Pay: 2 TPE Weekly Capped

The ideal individual should posses the following traits:

1) Online availability at least 8 hours a day (Please note in application your most active hours) and how often you are on forums/discord.

2) Be able to respond to discord pings and be verified via 2fa.

3) Older than 20 years (anything below this will require exceptional reasoning) 

4) Not hold other league jobs or associations (GMing) that may pose a conflict of interest (exceptions apply) 

Additional things you may add for consideration:

- Availability of hours between the times of 1am and 9am MST wanted.

- Moderation experience and ability 

- Human resource experience and/or sensitivity classes/training taken

- Any additional reasons why you would be make an appropriate mod.

- Ability to deal with context of situations

Please keep the thread to applications only, unrelated posts will be deleted. If you believe you fall under certain exceptions to certain stipulations here, you are encouraged to apply, however you will need to include reasoning as to why this stipulation will not impede your duties.

Given the nature and seriousness of this position, I will not be accepting submissions of the nature of "You know who I am". For full transparency, you must address the traits and additional considerations.

Questions and Answers:

Good lord you're asking for moderators to make this a full time job. A tad unrealistic for someone like me who can't be around for eight hours a day just to moderate a forum and a Discord. 

Legitimate question:

This job is not glamorous nor is it easy, it is for those that have the time and ability to put in the effort that is required and are willing to make the sacrifice to make this community an inclusive and safe space for everyone.

I read it as: you're not working or sleeping for 8 hours, during which you would be available to intervene if something happens and you're tagged.

Not as: you need to meticulously read through every post on the forum and Discord for 8 hours.

Legitimate Question:

You are not expected to read every single forum/chat post.

You are expected to be able to monitor reasonably during these times. (ie having a second monitor open with the chat function, looking in every so often during reasonable time period, look through new posts within reason).

People can do that without turning into a machine and having to watch for inappropriate actions for eight hours a day. Instead of looking like that, it would be easier to say 'willing to moderate when present'. You're not going to run into a lot of good candidates if you're looking for someone who's constantly around; sure it's not glamorous or easy, but it's certainly not a job nor worth 2 TPE based on your expectations. 

Personally a better route (in my honest opinion) would be to offer moderation to those who are trusted and see if they accept, then I'd make a post about hiring more if the occasion arises that they are needed. Some people are on at different times, different availability, and you've practically alienated anyone who is working through COVID. It's more about coverage and not duration.

Legitimate Question:

Thank you for your questions. You are right, I am looking for basically incredibly high expectations to start. If a lack of candidates should be proposed, I will consider those that may only fulfill certain stipulations. If you feel you fit all other requirements aside from the hours available, I encourage you to apply in the case I move to alternative requirements postings if a lack of fit candidates are presented.

1 hour ago, Shawn said:

I wanna apply, but those are some very harsh requirements. You're asking for someone to work a full-time job for 2 internet points.

Legit concern:

As echoed by what Peace said, yes I am. If you are with me, the idea is we're doing this for the community, not for some video game and certainly not because its worth 2 internet points.

Edited by tfong

I would like to apply for this job. I believe my knowledge of what happens under the VHL "hood" from day to day will give me the experience needed for this position. I understand where the fine line needs to be drawn for hard to have conversations and I've made a fine improvement myself in improving my own character and personality, etc. I know I'll have the time since I work from home and can easily monitor the chat/pings as needed. I have worked in management and now am my own business owner, basically since I was 17 I've been in some form or role of management within Retail/Business. 

I would like to apply for the role, based on my past experience with Red Team. I'm available at hours that are more unusual then North American peak time, and therefore able to respond if other mods are offline etc. Ratio of forum to discord is more in favour of forum, but I maintain a presence on both. I hold no other roles within the VHL/VHLM that would cause any conflict, and have demonstrated in the past that I have been a reasonably well respected member that after taking time away, has returned with a renewed sense of appreciation of both the league itself and it's members. I'm probably more available for the forum moderation, although I am on discord more than I used to be. If that counts against me, so be it. I'd just like to contribute back to the VHL. At some point I may like to be a VHLM AGM, but I doubt that occurs anytime soon. 

If further information is required, I'm available to answer both here and via discord.

BOOM™ looks better in red.

Edited by BOOM

The ideal individual should posses the following traits:

1) Online availability at least 8 hours a day (Please note in application your most active hours) and how often you are on forums/discord.

I am the king of degen hours and rule the VHL discord with an iron fist when mods are asleep.

No problem here, chief.

No problem here, chief.

4) Not hold other league jobs or associations (GMing) that may pose a conflict of interest (exceptions apply) 

Not another job in sight.

King of degen hours.

I am known for drinking alcohol only in moderation.

My IRL job gives all staff yearly sensitivity and workplace respect training.

I am a respected and legendary VHL member.

I am as slippery as a snake and as sly as an old dog.

15 hours ago, tfong said:

1) I'm on the site and Discord all day anyway, I am a stay at home dad. Always have Discord on my phone active incase I am not at laptop for whatever reason. point is im always around, lurking and a ping away. 

2) who doesn't 2fa? im 2fa and respond to all pings. 

3) 29, thirty in may. does that make me old? 

4) I hold no jobs, I promise. 

i can be available in MST no problem and put in 8+ hours that's a guarantee. 
I have Mod experience on Inivisonfree and JCink so I have forum and ACP Knowledge. 
I have actually done both for a job recruitment drive years ago. so we gravy on that front. 
I have been in the VHL on and off since Season 4 I have seen the league change and its amazing the growth. I want to help keep it that way. I know Im a longshot and made some questionable decisions recently and I apologize. I wont make excuses even on Meds there is no excuse. I promise if you hire me I will be a model member and clean it up right quick.
I usually always look at all the facts and ask questions before jumping to things so Context is IMPORTANT and can easily be missed. Ill always work to make sure we know the whole story. 

I know its a long shot, but I want to show the league I can do this. I know I can be a great mod, I know I can be a force for good here. I want to be able to prove it. Thank you for the Consideration no matter the decision. 

yes i can

I'm usually hanging around the forums and discord. 

at this time I have a lot of time to do the stuff to moderate .

I'm usually on all day time zone will be given to staff in private cause well its my personal preference to not let my time zone to be known ill try my best to give the info/stuff needed to know for new players. 

and bad people on the forums shall be punished quick and swift if not listening for me to tell anyone or everyone to stop being a bad person on hear

what ever the punishments are to be carried if i do become a mod i will need to know what punishment will be handed out to what problem and the continuation of said problems but other than that I'm usually a nice guy that can be harsh if need to be.

All I do is sit on VHL Discord. Kidding. I mostly study/work while the discord is open on my second monitor.

I am verified via 2fa and I think I'm pretty good at responding to discord pings.

I'm closer to 30 then 20 so, I'm old as hell.

Technically speaking, I am the AGM of DC. However, if I can remain impartial between Vancouver and DC during these playoffs (my player plays on Vancouver), I think I can do a decent job remaining impartial between all the teams. At the end of the day, my priority has always been user experience over team success and pride anyways.

Welp I think we're both on MST so this might be a tough one.

- Moderation experience and ability.

I actually work in management currently and that requires a lot of moderation in general.

- Human resource experience and/or sensitivity classes/training taken.

I've had a lot of volunteering in HR related positions within my religious community.

Honestly, I like to remain impartial to who the person is as well as what has happened in the situation. I think that the VHL is an experience and I think moderation is a huge piece of the pie.

- Ability to deal with context of situations.

I definitely believe I'm good at this.

PS. I hope that there isn't a decision anytime soon as I have put in a application for becoming the GM of the Wranglers.

Edited by fonziGG

Ah, fuck it, I might as well apply

Working from home & being a student pretty much means that I'm accessible to a virtual world for as long as I'm awake. I'm in EST, but my regular schedule would make me available from around 10am-midnight (which varies, of course, depending on what is going on in my life). As Chicago LR can probably attest, I'm on Discord............ often. I also make a point to read a fair amount of media spots, regularly listen to podcasts created by VHL users.

I can respond to Discord pings but I have truthfully never in my life heard of 2fa.

I'm 22.

I currently hold the VHL Fantasy Zone position. I don't really think that the job is very time consuming, nor would it create a conflict of interest; however, I'd be happy to step down from that role to open up a position for someone else and train them on the job.

I'd probably only be available during this time on rare occasions, if I'm being completely honest.

I don't have explicit experience, but I do believe that I'd be able to be a sufficient moderator.

While I don't have moderation experience, I am trained in conflict management from a job I currently hold. I also have experience telling people things that they probably do not want to hear through customer service positions that I've held. My main priority is being personable and approachable to folks, regardless of who they are.

Although I'm not currently super active in the VHL discord, I do think that I have established connections to folks around the league that would allow me to establish myself as someone who hangs around.

I suppose so. I think context in a situation is always, without variation, incredibly important. Regardless of the conversation/situation, I find it important to understand where everyone is coming from in order to avoid miscommunication. With clear expectations for the moderators, I think I'd feel more comfortable dealing with situations that may be high-stress.

A concern I'd have with being a moderator is having an established idea among everyone involved of expectations. As a pleb in the Discord, I feel like it's currently a bit fluid and up to interpretation - I'd need clarification on more solidified understanding of expectations for me.

@fishy 2fa I believe is 2 factor authentication. Like on my google account, every time someone tries to sign into my google account from a new device they need to type in my password and then a code is texted to my cell phone as well in order to access. Phone or email is the "2nd factor".

I do 2fa for important stuff but not for discord. If someone really wants to hack my discord they can have it I have nothing on there lol

• Head Moderator

The MOD team is pleased to announce the additions of @fonziGG and @fishy to assist in maintaining a quality experience for the members of this community now and in the future.

Thank you to all the applicants for their time and effort in the process.

• Baozi locked this topic