The Wait For Mack Continues

pugsood

Alvin Mack walked along the banks of the Potomac River near his hometown in Northern Virginia. He looked out at the waters, his gaze past the Washington Monument and into the even further distance. It was clear that he was searching for something, something he hadn't yet found. It was only a month ago that Mack had agreed to participate in the Victory Hockey League, a bruising winger with a build that could only loosely be compared by Charra of the Boston Bruins of the NHL. Mack was going to break the mold in the VHL.

Fast forward to mid-February, and Mack has not only not played in a single game thus far, but he has not committed to enter the draft and compete for a club. We caught up with Mack on this cold Tuesday, and asked him about his future in the VHL.

"All of the excitement of playing in the VHL a month ago has been replaced by anxiety. I love hockey, but given my commitments to the SBA, I'm not sure if I'll be stretching myself too thin. I have people in my life I want to take care of, and despite wanting to be the first player to be an all star in 3 different sports, I don't think my head is where it needs to be to make that attempt."

And so the VHL remains without Mack's services, enchanted by his potential but likely frustrated by his lack of participation. And so the VHL waits, as do the fans who have followed Mack throughout his journey through grade school and the amateur ranks, in hopes that they will see his potential realized on the ice.