McQ Embraces Captain Role

Jamie

Philadelphia-Flyers-Captain-White-C-Patc

RIGA, Latvia - The local hockey team are off to a strong start this season, currently sitting as the best team in the Victory Hockey League. Last year, many were excited to start the season as the Reign were looked at as one of the front runners in the West but it didn't start out, or end too greatly for the team. There was a lot of disappointment, especially in the locker room and something had to change.

So far this season it's been a lot better. Current longest serving and captain of the Riga Reign spoke to the media this morning; "Last year was tough, I thought we were good enough to go all the way and we didn't quite do it. I came in this year with a different attitude and really it changed just before the season started. I heard rumblings that the players wanted someone different to wear the 'C' this year and that upset me. I've been the captain on every team I've played for my whole career, I thought I was doing a good job which is why I kept getting it. Now I know I need to change and I've set my focus on that this season. I already feel like I'm the type of player that goes out and does it all but I'm focusing on the off ice stuff a lot more for sure."

We're not sure if that's part of the reason the Reign are doing good this season, but whatever they are doing, they have to keep it up and carry it into the playoffs or the frustration might peak this year.

(FOR LAST WEEK PLEASE)