Rookies of the Year

Scurvy

As the season moves to the end, I’d like to look at the outstanding rookies in this VHL season.  To start we need to look no further than the surprise team, the Chicago Phoenix.

From last place a year ago to a potential playoff team is amazing.  But if you look at the top ten scoring rookies Chicago has three amazing talents who certainly don’t play like rookies.  So lets start with them:

CHICAGO:

The Board Game Clue on Skates (BGCOS)- BGCOS has 37G 45A 82PTS and a massive 497 shots on goal.  Having played with this phenom in the M for the San Diego Marlins I know what a special player he is.  Ignore the rumors of mythical performance enhancing substance called Glue Clue this 50-year-old center is all natural.  Point leader for rookies and might just lead Chicago to a deep playoff run.  Either way Chicago is a contender in a few short years. 

Bo Johansson- Defense- again another teammate of mine and I was so fortunate to benefit from his passion for the VHL SIM league.  A pass first D-man he has soared to # 2 in rookie scoring with 10 goals 71 assists for 81.  What makes BoJo so special is his ability to earn TPE at massive amounts but also his ability to mentor newer players to this league.  

Scotty Sundin-   The first overall pick of the Phoenix has proved he is ready to make his mark on the league.  Ranked #7 in rookie scoring he has a respectful 31G 32A for 63 points along with 127 hits.  I hate to say this, but he even has a fight win against my player and fellow rookie Brian Payne.  Payback is coming (hopefully).  

MALMO:

Mason Jones (Malmo)- Another rookie with tremendous upside for the Nighthawks, Mason has put up 21G 53A-74pts and an AMAZING 2 penalty minutes.  Lady Byng here we come!!!   A small in stature left winger who thinks pass first but has the ability to finish.  Great upside and I look for him to be a force with Malmo in the years to come.

Igor Moltov- This whopping 608-foot-tall center has put up great number for the struggling Nighthawks with 29 goals 45 assist and 74 points.  With Jones, Obi, and Molotov they have the beginnings of a real trio in the years to come.  

Obi Adesanya – Ok with 6 of the top 10 rookie scorers on two clubs I am truly scared for what is to come for Malmo and Chicago.  Adasanya is another great scorer with 30G 36A 66 points and only 4 PIMS!!!  How much are they paying the refs not to call penalties on this team!!!!!!!!!!!!   Tremendous upside to this kid as well 

CALGARY/SEATTLE

AirRig GoodBrandSun- DEFENSE-OK as a defensive player I need to shout out to the two defensemen on the top ten in rookie scoring.  First the Big Rig for Calgary.  At 605 and 220 he is imposing in front of the net and can have a nice touch as well.  With 13G 45A- 58 points and 177 hits he is no stranger to proving points for Calgary and pain for opposing teams. 

Mikhail Kovalchuk- Seattle Defenseman-  Ok maybe Kolvalchuk gets a little of a boost being on a team stacked with amazing talent but that by no means hides the talent this kid has.  11 G 55 A and 66 Points Kovachuk is a steady defensive talent and absolute sniper on the power play with 9 PP goals in 63 Games.  

There are many other great rookies to be mentioned in this but my 600+ words are done and its story time for my daughter.  Great job rookie class and I wish you all success, except if you’re playing the Predators.  

image.jpeg.873c8aababc567693873ebac4fcfe239.jpeg

624 words for week ending June 5