The Art of Hits - Sigard Petrenko

SEATTLE - Sigard Petrenko knows how to hit. People tend to forget but Sigard Petrenko is more of a small player compared to others in the sport of ice hockey. Sigard is a surprising 5’8”, smaller than Brendan Gallagher, the latter being an undersized player himself in the NHL. To be fair, Brendan Gallagher can also be quite scrappy and physical. Despite this size, Sigard is proving to be one of the top hitters and has shown his ability to hit in the past. In his only full season in the VHLM, Sigard recorded 261 hits in a full 72 game season. In the VHL, Sigard’s highest hit count in a season is 263. Interestingly, his lowest hit total was last season with a total of 163 of them. Compare that to this season where he has recorded 161 hits in exactly half a full season.

“I surprised myself. When I was with the Hounds in the VHLM, I picked up tips from various guys like Vinny Detroit, Sven Eightnine, and Hogan when it came to hitting. I figured that since I lack the playmaking ability or real offensive presence that most other wingers my size had I might as well try to make up for it by playing defensively. Those three guys really helped me develop my hit in Mississauga and especially later when we were in Seattle together.”