Podcast - Not!

Thunder

Fifteen years for the VHL, and another week in the VHL for Jake Thunder making an attempt at his first podcast.  Failed again!  For those of you who do podcasts, I envy you.  Listening to your podcasts seem so easy, and every week when I pick one or two to listen to, I think to myself, “I can do this.”  And then I click on Anchor and start to sweat.  I stare in bewilderment of how I am going to make this happen, then turn my head and SQUIRREL, I do something else.  Too bad I didnt start in the VHL fifteen years ago because I’m pretty sure that fifteen years later I would finally have the cajones to do my first podcast.

Another week goes by and the same thing happens, I get the urge to do something other than a media spot or a lousy graphic, because I really suck at graphics.  Its like the movie Groundhog Day.  I click on Anchor, look at it, get nervous, and say to myself, “500 words is nothing, I’ll do a podcast next week.”  Here we go again.  Then I listen to some entertaining podcasts with the narrator driving while recording.  Geez, why can’t I do that?  I drive around, and I can multitask.  Perhaps you’d like to hear me swear at the lousy drivers out there, and we all know there are a lot of them.  And then I open the door so my dog can jump in the truck, I hop in and hold the phone up to my face to enable the facial recognition.  I slide the app page to the last page where Anchor is, and then I click on Anchor.  Holy crap, my face turns red, I feel clammy all over, and I look out on the street wondering if I drive at the same time I talk on this thing it will be easy.  Doesn’t happen!  I quickly decide that I’d rather listen to talk radio while I take my drive.  I will try another day.

Over the fifteen years of the VHL, how many whimps tried to podcast for their tpe, only to chicken out and fail like I have so many times already.  How many more times will this take before I actually do a podcast?  If my doing a podcast was on the Vegas odds, I would put money on the over/under that when VHL is twenty years old I still havent done a podcast and I will be writing another 500 word article about still being afraid.

Oh, here’s what actually happened this week in my attempts to do a podcast.  That is, if you are still reading this.  I actually opened Anchor!  I created an account and titled the podcast.  Everything looked good.  I was ready to start my first podcast and was going to sing happy birthday VHL.  What better time to start my first podcast.  If I’m going to make an ass of myself, I might as well do it in style.  I practiced chatting and getting ready for starting the podcast and sat up straight.  This is it, going the distance.  I turned the mute on the TV, made sure everything was quiet and stared at the little microphone button.  I’m brave!  Here we go, I pushed the button, “Anchor would like to access your microphone.”  I allowed it.  That was a big step forward.  Here we go, time to record.  Boom!  The record light was on.  But nobody was home.  I froze!  Finally after about five or thirty seconds, I started to talk.  I began with the introduction and then hit stop.  Seven seconds of recording in the books.  I hit the playback and listened.  Clicked delete and decided I can write a 500 word article easily.

But, fear not… This was a written podcast, yet one step closer to a real podcast.

650 words