Riga v Davos - Rivalry Unpeeled

Thunder

Playoffs are starting this week and what better opportunity to earn 6 TPE than to discuss the upcoming rivalry between HC Davos and Riga Reign.  Riga managed to stay above Davos at the end of the season, and goes into the series as the favorite.  On paper, Riga dominates Davos, and rightfully so.  With players like Jerome Reinhart and Biggie Cheese on defense, its surprising that Riga is only in fourth place.  And their forwards are nothing to sneeze at.  Darth Karpizov, Anze Miklavz, and Alex Johnston, are true leaders on the high scoring team.  And this leads to the discussion of this rivalry, as it definitely puts someone in a position of an uncomfortable predicament and makes loyalty a question.  Where does the loyalty lie?  Hopefully by the end of this segment, we will know!

Alex Johnston, star right winger for Riga, is in the top ten in several categories this season, to include points, goals, shots, top forward, short handed goals, and hat tricks.  Nearly every time he touches the puck, he contributes to Riga’s success.  Johnston has a stellar career and most definitely has the ability to take Riga deep into the playoffs.

Alex, the GM, has proven his knowledge and skills of managing a team and bringing out the best in the players.  His vast experience in the VHL gives him an edge with decision making, such as making a line up or strategizing the STHS based on the opponent’s lineup.  Alex has demonstrated this all season as he always seems to know what to do to keep Davos in the games.

Another example of Alex’ managing a team goes way back to before the season started.  Alex made several intelligent trades and waiver acquisitions to put the rebuilding team into contention.  Picking up Mason Jones, Napoleon Dynamite, Vinnie Detroit, Donny Carter, and Zeedayno Chara, was nothing but remarkable.  The coolest thing about it all was as a rookie waiting impatiently to get started in the VHL, I got pumped after learning about each pick up by Alex.  He truly knows how this league works and he made some outstanding moves to get a super class of forwards to bring HC Davos into contention.

This brings me to the battle.  What does Alex do?  Does he stay committed to HC Davos and doing everything he can to send Davos deep into the playoffs, or does he make some minor adjustments with a clear intention of setting off a scoring spree for he and his teammates on Riga?  What kind of discussion is going on in the Riga locker room?  Is Alex being persuaded to throw the series to allow Riga to continue on, thereby making a pathway for Alex Johnston to win a player award?  I can say in the Davos locker room, spirits are high, and everyone has the utmost respect for their GM.

My guess is that Alex the GM will put in the best line up he can and strategize for a clear domination over Riga while at the same time, he will add a few extra TPE to Alex Johnston’s scoring so that he keeps the games close.  However, if there is a lopsided outcome, I’m sure someone on Riga will question Alex Johnston’s motives.  Sucks to be them!

I will with this, if anyone is still reading… Should Jake Thunder and Alex Johnston drop the gloves, Thunder will take the pounding in stride and will not have any hard feelings towards his GM!