Molly the Cat, Season 85 Review of Career Goals YTD

JCarson

In an earlier article I documented my VHL career goals. The first of those goals was to try and become rookie of the year. Now I will again say that the season 84 draft class is very deep, having many strong candidates. Being 22 games into the season I am going to document how I am doing and document the reasons why I am a suitable candidate for Rookie of the Year and some reasons why there may be better options. 

Rookie Points – I am currently sitting 6th overall with 19 points 

Plus/Minus - I am currently +12, tied for 9th overall 

Penalty Minutes – I currently have 56, sitting 6th overall 

As a rookie, tracking on 3 leadership boards in the VHL is a significant accomplishment. I believe if this continues until the end of the season it would warrant consideration for rookie of the year. By doing it on a team that many players consider an underdog, a rebuilding team makes the accomplishment even more impressive. 

On the opposite side of the argument, 3 categories of leadership while impressive is not top of the list. Better than average may be an acceptable definition, but it does not define greatness. Rookie of the year needs to go to someone who has achieved greatness, who is top among peers. A ranking of 1st or being top 3 in multiple categories is what a star rookie looks like. 

The quest continues. The goal moving forward will be to cement my place in the categories I am leading in, pushing for top 3 finishes or even 1st. Until then Rookie of the year may be better given elsewhere.