Baby, It's Cold Outside.

leandrofg

We are 14 games into the 86th season of the VHL. A fifth of the season in. We've seen sensationally hot starts and others... not so much.

Where does Leandro fit in? With the departure of über-extraordinaire Saku Kotkakoivu from the Calgary Wranglers, Leandro has the opportunity to lead a line onto the ice for the first time in his VHL career.

What about his impact on the ice this season? The Portuguese Center strives for greatness but has been struggling to find it. Not because of his level of play but because of the level of play of those surrounding him.

The easy comparison is Daniel Janser, one of the best players in the VHL, who leads the Wranglers' first line. At the moment of writing, the Swiss is 5th in points scored, 6th in Hits, and his line is Top 3 in the plus/minus column.

Leandro, in contrast, has the worst shot percentage of his career, at a sub-5%. That's glaring at a personal level, but since his been assisting his line-mates, we can look past that. What is troublesome to overcome is the plus/minus differential between his line and Janser's. An unmistakable -12.

Yes, Leandro has two new Wranglers by his side, while Janser plays with two Wranglers that were a part of last season's team. (And, yes. One of them is extraordinaire Landon Wolanin, who looks poised to have his breakout season!)

Still, even with this lackluster start, Leandro seems focused on his task of leading the Wranglers' second line. Not only that, even as a veteran, he's still looking to improve his game to match the opponents' level wherever he's needed.

2 hours ago, Daniel Janser said:

Did not know that you are a Ricardo Montalban enjoyer (who sang this song in the 1949 movie 'Neptune's Daughter'). The song was awarded an Academy Award

I knew you were a gentleman and a scholar! 🎩

While I do enjoy the original, nowadays. I discovered the song through a cover a while ago (a good few years ago, actually). It's a fantastic melody.

1 minute ago, leandrofg said:

I knew you were a gentleman and a scholar! 🎩

While I do enjoy the original, nowadays. I discovered the song through a cover a while ago (a good few years ago, actually). It's a fantastic melody.

It is indeed. They list around 85 cover versions of this song (and that are only the English ones, there are also several German covers around). Just for my curiosity: which cover did peak your interest? 

11 minutes ago, Daniel Janser said:

It is indeed. They list around 85 cover versions of this song (and that are only the English ones, there are also several German covers around). Just for my curiosity: which cover did peak your interest? 

Zooey Deschanel & Leon Redbone. Much because of the Elf movie, but their duet is brilliant no matter what. I believe it to be one of the better covers.