Week 1 Interview - Jesse Teno

Aimee

I’m here today with Jesse Teno after the first week of the season. With this week’s games kicking off tonight, I thought I would check in with the sophomore goalie and see how they are doing. “Jesse, good to see you again. This week has been an interesting one. How do you feel overall?”

“I feel alright. Overall a winning record but the losses have started to pile on lately. Slowly creeping up on me. But I know I’m playing against some serious veterans on the other side of the ice so I just have to keep pushing.”

“Through the first 12 games of the season, it looks like you take an average of about 34 shots a night. Does it ever feel like that?”

“Always feels like more, to be honest [laughs]. I know that first game against Malmo we were on a serious shooting spree and kept them down, but it seems to have evened out a bit for the most part. I know the team is always working hard to get those shots on goal. But we also know the other teams are working just as hard. So if I see 40 plus on any night it doesn’t shock me.”

“You’re currently sitting in 7th among goalies for both total wins and total losses. Not a bad place to be in the VHL at the moment.”

“No, I suppose not. I know I’m still figuring out my way among these giants of players but I’m happy to just know that I’m managing a half-decent record.”

“You’re also sitting at no shutouts. Hoping to get one soon?”

“Always! Getting a shutout is always such an incredible feeling, especially at this level of play. The pace is just so much faster and the players have some serious heat behind their shots. I’m not too shocked to not have accomplished it yet.”

“What do you think you need to work on going forward in order to keep your record above .500?”

“I really need to work on stopping those pucks, I think is what the fans would say. But for now, I’m not too disappointed in my personal play. Are there some areas that need fine tuning? Yes. I think my glove is definitely a weak spot so I need to work on improving that for sure. I’ve been spending time on my speed within the crease but maybe I need to shift gears for a little bit and see where that takes me.”

“One last questions before I let you go about your day; you finally saw your friend Lachlan Summers on the ice. How did that feel?”

“Oh it felt great! To see him come up into the VHL right behind me just makes me a really proud friend. We still haven’t had our chance to play against each other but getting to catch up with him during warm ups and seeing him on the bench just made me really happy. It’s always nice to see a familiar face on the other side.”

505 words for week ending 2/5/2023

Edited by aimkin