A Hounds Rivalry

McLean Hoover

Friday February 17th

One of the biggest things that makes hockey interesting is the many versions of a rivalry you can have. 

you have the team versus team rivalry, the rivalry you get to be called the best goal scorer or biggest hitter in the league.

But often missed is the rivalry of fellow teammates fighting to be considered the best on the team. 

Some of hockeys greatest rivalry’s can be seen between teammates who both put on absolute shows for the fans to be the “goat” of their team. It’s no different in the VHLM. 

That is the case for the Mississauga Hounds and forwards Hannibal Barca and Jarkko Laakkonen. 

Barca who in 48 games played has 80 points, was on a tear in the league for leading scorer putting up numbers anytime would dream to see. 

But over the last 16 games, Laakkonen took it upon himself to change the narrative. Having multiple 6+ point nights and even had a night with 6 pure goals. 

With 48 games played Laakkonen leads the Hounds with 89 points putting him 5th overall across the League. 

but there’s even more than just two players involved in this battle, as both Steve Lattimer, and Austin Goulet sit above the 70 point mark showing no signs of stopping either. 

the big 4 of the Hounds have stayed competitive not only against their opponents but pushing a friendly competition against themselves to keep the pace going. 

up and comers of the Hounds know next season they will have the mantle of living up to Laakkonen, Barca, Goulet, and Lattimer but for rookies, 

odegaard, Hoover, and B they know they have big shoes to fill next season.

Hoover said in an interview, 

“I think the one thing about this season as a first year player is seeing the great example my teammates have shown me, these guys don’t mess around when it comes game time and they certainly have a lot going for them between themselves, everyone dreams of being the best player in the NHL and they definitely go out everyday on the ice to make it known they are the best player on their team, especially when they have the talent to do it. And I think every one of those top 4 guys has it in them to make it happen.” 

the Hounds find themselves not only eclipsing their last season results but this season they have a in the mix to go into the playoffs and make a big run at taking home the championship title. Mexico City and the Ottawa Lynx are that stand in the teams way. 

Only the final game of the season will tell where these players end the friendly rivalry between themselves, and where the Hounds with sit on the leaderboards as a whole. 

MH.